Shooting lead semi-wadcutters

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by perley03, Jan 20, 2008.

1. perley03

perley03 Guest

I'm getting into reloading, as I own a few guns and some of them are getting expensive to shoot. I was wondering if the JCP.40 will have a fit if I start to reload them with solid lead wadcutters. I calculated it and it would cost me $0.12/rd to reload myself, but I have to buy in bulk. But I'm getting into competition shooting, and need some "cheap but effective" rounds, doing Action Pistol.
    Any input on using solid lead bullets?

2. The only problems with lead are handling it, breathing it and cleaning it out of the barrel of the gun.
    I used gloves and a mask for handling and cleaning. Also I'm not to hot about shooting lead indoors due to the vapors.
    As for shooting lead, I shot lead reloads out of my .357 mag for years with very good results.

3. perley03

perley03 Guest

Well the shooting I would be doing is outside. I just found some other bullets, they are solid lead but plated with copper. Maybe those will be better, they are about the same price as lead. Anything I should know about about crimping them?

4. makarovnik

makarovnik Member

I would try before I buy to make sure they feed.

While I would probably use latex gloves for handling I'm not too sure I would be concerned about breathing "fumes" while reloading. I am no expert on the subject though. Soldier also contains lead as do fishing weights. I do know that lead poisoning is much more of a concern for children whose brains are still developing.

Many indoor gun ranges don't allow shooting of lead bullets without a jacket because of heated lead fumes which is a little different (I think). For indoor ranges that allow all lead bullets without a jacket, the EPA requires they have an air handling system that is adequate to keep you safe.

As for fouling and cleaning the barrel, just shoot a few rounds of copper jacketed bullets after the lead ones. The copper jacket will clean most of the lead out of the lands and grooves making cleanup easier.

5. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Just my $0.02 as a physicist (I work with lead, arsenic, and all sorts of nasty stuff):
    As long as you are not casting or filing bullets, fumes are not a problem. If you choose to wear latex gloves, that is up to you. You can wash the lead off your hands without any problems as long as you don't habitually lick your fingers but gloves add a level of security at about $5/box. Mainly, for God's sake don't eat the bullets!!!

cheers,
    Kyu