Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok .... either I can't shoot or I'm doing something wrong.

I shot my C9 about a week ago with the standard sight and shot low. I cheated got about 20 or so feet away just to get something on the target. I did fairly well but no grouping. I just shot it eight times that day.

I changed the sight over to the Ghost Sight thinking this would help. I noticed that my sight was adjusted on the high side also so I adjusted it so it was level with the gun. Now today I shot the gun from about 20 yds out and was shooting way low.... then I stepped up with in 20 or so feet and was hitting the target sheet but still low. OK ... I stood back and thought about this for a minute. What I did was on the Ghost Sight points instead of lining it up with the top of the barrel sight (like I have always done) I lined it up with the bottom of the yellow and got fairly close to the correct height. I immediately came home and put the regular sight back on. I can't believe I have to cheat that much just to get it on the target. When I cheat like that I can't see the center of the target where I'm suppose to hit because the barrels sight is totally blocking the view. I've always set my guns up so whatever I'm shooting is aligned with the top of the barrel sight but with the HP I don't have that much adjustment.

Adjusting the sight down will raise the front of the barrel up ... correct?

What is the standard yardage of practicing/adjusting a handgun?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok ... 8 people has viewed but no one answers??

I'm new to handguns so don't be afraid to hurt my feelings... do you even use the sight most part or you just aim "get the feel of it" and fire away? I noticed on some handguns that the sight is non adjustable is why I ask.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
You need to adjust the rear site in the direction you want your change. In other words, since you are shooting low, raise the rear site. You will automatically adjust the front to keep aiming at the target.
Same thing goes with right & left ... if you're hitting left of the target adjust the sight to the right.
Be sure to rest on a table or bench or whatever to be sure you are completely steady & adjust the site then fire a round, then adjust , then fire, until you like it. :D

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I agree with noyztoys. Also a problem could be not squeezing the trigger or anticipation of the shot.

Here's a chart of common shooting errors. In pdf form

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Thanks capt, forgot the link

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same result new out of the box. I was shooting and hitting the ground below the made up target we set up. I think I lowered my sites to raise up where I was shooting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My C9 is 17yrs old and has fixed sights. But on the newer version with the adjustable sight. If you need to raise your shot then raise the rear sight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you move the rear sight the direction you want to shoot ,,, move right to shoot right / left to left / up to up/ down to down....

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally some answers!

Ok I was going the wrong way with the rear sight! :brow:

I need to raise the sight instead. It is quit mind boggling trying to figure out that to raise the sight will actually raise the front of the gun. It would seem to be the obsolete but I'm going to do exactly what you say.

About the chart above..... is the center suppose to be the bulls eye and if I hit one of the pie sections then that is what I'm possibly doing wrong? Or is it just for reference?

Thanks everyone for getting me on the right path!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Finally some answers!

Ok I was going the wrong way with the rear sight! :brow:

I need to raise the sight instead. It is quit mind boggling trying to figure out that to raise the sight will actually raise the front of the gun. It would seem to be the obsolete but I'm going to do exactly what you say.

About the chart above..... is the center suppose to be the bulls eye and if I hit one of the pie sections then that is what I'm possibly doing wrong? Or is it just for reference?

Thanks everyone for getting me on the right path!
I would venture to say that if you are making shooting errors, i.e - trigger jerk, anticipation, and such, your groupings will not be consistent. Not only will your point of impact be incorrect (for what your actually shooting at) but your groupings will be scattered (technique correct, technique wrong, right, wrong etc) and the impact will show the inconsistency of your technique. Whereas, if it is a pistol sight problem your groupings will be consistent, but not where you were actualy shooting. Does that make sense? That's the way I see the prob (and I've been there).

Here's another chart - like you said "for reference purposes"

http://www.degrata.com/pdf/commonshootingerrors.pdf

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would venture to say that if you are making shooting errors, i.e - trigger jerk, anticipation, and such, your groupings will not be consistent. Not only will your point of impact be incorrect (for what your actually shooting at) but your groupings will be scattered (technique correct, technique wrong, right, wrong etc) and the impact will show the inconsistency of your technique. Whereas, if it is a pistol sight problem your groupings will be consistent, but not where you were actualy shooting. Does that make sense? That's the way I see the prob (and I've been there).

Here's another chart - like you said "for reference purposes"

http://www.degrata.com/pdf/commonshootingerrors.pdf
Ok... looking at the chart I am number #8! :cantlook:

I read all the probable causes and can't see why I'm a such a bad shot. I slowly pull the trigger, hold the gun with both hands, breath in and let a little out, try to stand the same every time etc....

I am standing up when I shoot and not sitting on a bench resting on a table so that might have a lot to do with it.

First things first. I installed my open sight back on Sunday so how far from the target should I be to get started with adjustments?

I've got some snap caps coming so I can practice my trigger pull some. The HP has a$%^#of a trigger to pull that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd say the description found here on sighting in a pistol is spot on

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3208.0.html
Thanks a million tatonka!

Now how come I couldn't get a responce like this.... that's all I needed to know!!!!

"sure........ you didn't give much info, so let's assume you're starting out of the box.

How I would do it: First - pick the site picture you want to shoot - this is key as you can adjust the up/down of the site. If you couldn't, you'd only need to KNOW the site picture. What do I mean? One idea option is to site the bull's eye that it lines up with both the top of front and rear sight. This partially covers the target. The other typical option, is the place the BOTTOM of the 10 ring at the TOP of the two sites. This allows two things - one you can see the whole target (or at least see it better). Next, it puts you closer to COM of you are double / triple tapping and shoot higher with successive shots. Small points really, but pick one so you have one to adjust to.

Next, Find a bench to shoot off of. Put target at about 10 feet - yes 10 feet. Shoot 5 shots aiming for center of target, resting the gun on a bench rest. Pull trigger slow and steady, being careful not to move the gun. If you need to adjust, move the sites to get to center. Recheck until right. Move target to 20 feet and repeat. Then if you wish, 30 feet to fine tune. ALL this should be on the bench.

ASSUMING you can do 30 feet give or take, shot after shot in the ten ring, from the bench...... when you lift the gun to shoot standing, if you MISS the 10 ring, it's NOT the gun!!!

Once sighted in - and holding the gun off the bench, you can work on grip, trigger control, breath control, etc. Walk before you run and you'll do fine. Lot's of information around on grip, stance, etc. you can search then.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes."

So sighting the gun standing up does not sound like a good idea!

TEN FEET!! No wonder I can't get my gun sighted in... I might put the Ghost Sight back on now.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Now how come I couldn't get a responce like this.... that's all I needed to know!!!!

TEN FEET!! No wonder I can't get my gun sighted in... I might put the Ghost Sight back on now.
Just takes alittle time to put the puzzle together. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I went through the same process of figuring out my C-9. Now I shoot reasonably tight groups at 25 feet. You'll get it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just takes alittle time to put the puzzle together. Good luck
I got my snap caps today and I think I know one reason why I'm shooting low. I'm pulling the trigger to hard or to quickly. I have found that the trigger moves a pretty good bit before the firing pin fires. I didn't realize this until I used the snap caps. Now I'm more familiar with the trigger so I might start shooting somewhat better. I hope to do some serious shooting tomorrow.... starting at ten feet and work my way out adjusting the sight. I think I'm going in a positive direction! :D

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I got my snap caps today and I think I know one reason why I'm shooting low. I'm pulling the trigger to hard or to quickly. I have found that the trigger moves a pretty good bit before the firing pin fires. I didn't realize this until I used the snap caps. Now I'm more familiar with the trigger so I might start shooting somewhat better. I hope to do some serious shooting tomorrow.... starting at ten feet and work my way out adjusting the sight. I think I'm going in a positive direction! :D
My big problem when I bought my c9 was I wanted a SD pistol. For self defense I felt it was necessary to rattle off as many rounds as possible in the shortest amount of time. I was anticipating the shot often. Maybe it was the tight trigger pull or my inexperience with a semi. I had to remember placement is key. Rapid fire will follow as you get use to the handgun.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got back from shooting and adjusting today. When I got there I adjusted the sight up some before I shot. I set the target at 10ft and shot my first round and it hit the bulls eye dead on!! I'm not joking either! I actually have grouping going now up to 20ft but get wacky over that. I even took a shot standing up at 50yds and hit a 5" by 5" board that was there at the firing range.

I like my gun much better now! The trigger pulling was my problem the whole time. I pull the the trigger just a little bit and can feel right where the firing pin is activated ... then I pull to fire. It keeps the gun much steady doing that. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts