Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, guys 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️...quick question: has anyone tried shooting steel (particularly as range/practice ammo) with their 9mm carbine? If so, what's your verdict? :unsure:

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
Hi Point firearms tend to not be picky about the ammunition. My experience is that the 9mm carbines will function just fine with steel cased ammunition.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Saved by Grace through Faith
69 Posts
Like Kirk said! I have shot a boat load of Winchester USA Forged Steel 9mm through my 995TS and it works great.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
I've shot a lot of steel TulAmmo through my 995. Worked just fine, but a bit dirty. I also tried Winchester Forged and IMO it was dirtier, but it too worked fine.
Office supplies Rectangle Font Packaging and labeling Carton

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I've shot a lot of steel TulAmmo through my 995. Worked just fine, but a bit dirty. I also tried Winchester Forged and IMO it was dirtier, but it too worked fine.
View attachment 74538
I tried that Win Forged once. Just like you say, dirtier. No Russian I have ever used for near 40 years now is as dirty as that Winchester Forged.

·
Administrator
28,868 Posts
I tried that Win Forged once. Just like you say, dirtier. No Russian I have ever used for near 40 years now is as dirty as that Winchester Forged.
I used it in my G19 Gen5 to run the USCCA Instructor qual a week or two ago. It's accurate enough and the Glock didn't seem to mind that it was steel cased. I might try it in my R51.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I've shot some steel in our 9's and had no issues, but I don't like using steel over brass, but it did work in all ours until all shot up. EAA Pavlona(Witness), SD9VE, 995TS.

I was told many years ago, don't know if totally true, but sounded plausible, that steel ammo's are harder on the extractor and will either break off the corners or dull them quicker, while brass is a softer metal and won't have as harsh of effects on extractors.

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
^^I've heard the same thing about extractors.^^
Figgered if I had a problem I'd get replacement parts from mom. Haven't needed to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys (y)
I've been seeing the TULammo reasonably priced, so I'm considering giving it a shot as range ammo, which is why I was asking.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,352 Posts
Thanks guys (y)
I've been seeing the TULammo reasonably priced, so I'm considering giving it a shot as range ammo, which is why I was asking.
Honestly if it works it works. Yes its dirtier. But if it functions and saves you money or its all you can get. Use whats available.

I personally don't even look at it. Because I reload and brass is what I need. Then again I haven't needed to buy any ammo in years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts