Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been waiting for a few weeks since I got my JHP to have a chance to get to the range and finally shoot it. It's been a difficult wait, but I finally got it done today.

Initial report: I put 50 rounds through the pistol. Some American Eagle brass, the rest (30 rounds) was Blazer Aluminum. I had trouble on the very first round - I don't think I got a good enough grasp on the slide and the first round didn't feed properly. I carefully removed the mag, then turned it on it's side and drew the slide back to let the cartridge drop out. I checked the round, put it back in the mag and tried it again, this time the round chambered as expected.

My first pull of the trigger was a bit surprising, the trigger is better than I thought. Smooth and predictable. Recoil, as expected, was not bad considering the weight of that big slide.

I had put the ghost ring sight on the pistol before I took it to the range. I found I was shooting very low, but forget my screwdriver, so I couldn't adjust the sight on this trip - I just adjusted my point of aim higher. Windage was dead on though. My target had crossbars on it and I had a number of rounds that stacked right on top of each other, right on that line. I think once I get the elevation adjusted, this should be quite the accurate pistol. I have to say I like the yellow dot front sight combined with the ghost ring rear sight. It was easier to see in the somewhat dim light of the range than the fiber optic front sight on my Glock 35.

Now for the operation. I basically resigned myself to the fact that I would probably have a few failures on my first outing. Seems from what I've read and heard that that's not uncommon, especially when using something like cheap Blazer aluminum cased rounds. But in 50 rounds, other than that initial failure to load the round properly, which was user error, every shot went off without a hitch.

To be honest, when I bought this pistol, I really wasn't certain if I would keep it. But seeing the results of my first shoot today, I think I can safely say this gun will stay in my collection for quite a while.

Kudos to Hi-Point for pulling off a decent sub-$200 pistol. I can see why the folks here are so impressed. I guess I'll have to start taking a closer look at the C9 and one of those carbines :p

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Glad you like the pistol, I have the 4595 and it will eat anything I feed it. I could only use the blazers at the outdoor range as the indoor ranges do not allow them. They are lazy and don't want to separate the cases. They worked great but they are no cheaper than the Herters brass so I use the Herters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you like the pistol, I have the 4595 and it will eat anything I feed it. I could only use the blazers at the outdoor range as the indoor ranges do not allow them. They are lazy and don't want to separate the cases. They worked great but they are no cheaper than the Herters brass so I use the Herters.
My range requires you to pick up your own casings, I simply sort out the aluminum from the brass and take the aluminum home for disposal. That keeps them happy.

My big question when it does come carbine time is which one? I like 9mm for ammo cost, but having the punch of the .45 would really be nice too. At this point though, my indoor range doesn't allow pistol caliber carbines. I'm on a very long waiting list for an outdoor range (current estimate is 3 years before I can get in), so I'm in no rush to get a rifle I've got no place to shoot. So the carbine will have to wait a bit.

·
Master of Mae-hem
51 Posts
First to the OP, Fun stuff huh Maynard? :) You can't beat these guns for the price, or even if you spend more for something that is supposedly better because of the Name. They function fine and have really good accuracy. What more do you need? Have fun with it. Now

NWPatriot? Isn't there ANY public land near you where you can shoot? Get that carbine and head for the hills man.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First to the OP, Fun stuff huh Maynard? :) You can't beat these guns for the price, or even if you spend more for something that is supposedly better because of the Name. They function fine and have really good accuracy. What more do you need? Have fun with it. Now

NWPatriot? Isn't there ANY public land near you where you can shoot? Get that carbine and head for the hills man.
Yes, I'm quite pleased :p

If I had more time to get to public land, yes. But the closest spot from my home is at least 90 minutes away. At this stage in my life, it's hard to get a window of time to drive out, shoot for a while and drive back. So, a local range is much better for me, it allows for more frequent trips. I live too close to a large metropolitan area that isn't exactly the most gun friendly, so restrictions on outdoor shooting, even on public land, is highly restricted. They convince folks like the rangers in the area to shut down the favorite spots. It's an ongoing battle.

I think you may have it a little easier down south.

·
Banned
6,069 Posts
My range requires you to pick up your own casings, I simply sort out the aluminum from the brass and take the aluminum home for disposal. That keeps them happy.

My big question when it does come carbine time is which one? I like 9mm for ammo cost, but having the punch of the .45 would really be nice too. At this point though, my indoor range doesn't allow pistol caliber carbines. I'm on a very long waiting list for an outdoor range (current estimate is 3 years before I can get in), so I'm in no rush to get a rifle I've got no place to shoot. So the carbine will have to wait a bit.
Now that is a SHAME!!!
You don't have any friends in WOODED places?
Well when "IT" hits the fan, you may wish you had a carbine!!!
I have never lived in the city & I have never bought or NOT bought a gun because I had no place to shoot it?
You are in my PRAYERS!!!

·
Master of Mae-hem
51 Posts
NW Patriot. I can see your problem. North of Cottage Grove seems to be inhabited by a Lot of Brain dead Left Wing, Liberal, Anti-gun, tree-hugging, morons. Move South Young man, move South.:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that is a SHAME!!!
You don't have any friends in WOODED places?
Well when "IT" hits the fan, you may wish you had a carbine!!!
I have never lived in the city & I have never bought or NOT bought a gun because I had no place to shoot it?
You are in my PRAYERS!!!
NW Patriot. I can see your problem. North of Cottage Grove seems to be inhabited by a Lot of Brain dead Left Wing, Liberal, Anti-gun, tree-hugging, morons. Move South Young man, move South.:)
We do have access to forest service land, but it's darn hard to get to in a reasonable time, and those places we've shot in the past are starting to get closed down. Unfortunately, part of that is due to brain dead morons that take their trash out to these sites, shoot it up and leave a mess for the rest of us. They're hurting our rights to shoot and don't seem to give a rip.

And yes, the closer you get to Portland, the less folks you'll find that seem to believe in our constitutional rights, particularly with regard to the 2nd.

As for moving south, that's a no go. I've got a great job up here, with decent pay and benefits, and it would be hard finding a similar job outside of a larger metropolitan area. So, for now, I'll have to defend in place :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been waiting for a few weeks since I got my JHP to have a chance to get to the range and finally shoot it. It's been a difficult wait, but I finally got it done today.
I know your anxiety! My JHP arrived on Monday and planned on going up to my Dad's in Spooner, WI this weekend and both of us going out to the outdoor shooting range which he his a member of. Well Thursday we got hit with a snowstorm and they got 18+" of snow up there on top of the existing snow cover. To make matters worse the guy's truck who snowplows his driveway broke down. So today's trip has been cancelled and trying for Sunday since I don't have a truck or 4X4. Even then we don't know if we'll be able to get into the range since they don't plow the access roads to the range.
I had put the ghost ring sight on the pistol before I took it to the range.
Would be interesting to hear of the comparisons between the 2 rear sights. I'm a fan of peep sights but will try the 2 dot rear sight first

·
Banned
6,069 Posts
As for moving south, that's a no go. I've got a great job up here, with decent pay and benefits, and it would be hard finding a similar job outside of a larger metropolitan area. So, for now, I'll have to defend in place :)
There will come a day in the not so distant future, that we all will have a decision to make. On whether to stay & live amongst people made from different thread or move to the safety of living amongst like minded people.
Be ready!

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
There will come a day in the not so distant future, that we all will have a decision to make. On whether to stay & live amongst people made from different thread or move to the safety of living amongst like minded people.

Be ready!
You all could come to NY, build the masses of anti-liberal voting population or if SHTF first do some very serious zombie hunting. Bring ammo. It's going to take a bunch.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
A budget gun to love..

Glad to hear you like your JHP. I've had my C9 for over a year, and I'm very pleased with it. I had the same problem on my first outing, on chambering the topmost first round, I didn't pull the slide back hard enough. I gave it a little tug a second time and the round chambered and fired. I went thru a box of 50 rounds of Wolf WPA steel case that first time. I now have 392 rounds fmj fired for 3 double-feed, 2 fail-to-feed and 1 stovepipe minor malfunctions. I've shot Wolf, Magtech, Winchester and Freedom Munitions with no ammo problems. I just spray mine out with RemOil after each session. Happy shooting! :D

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
When I first got my 45jhp,first round did not go off.Twas due to timidly racking slide it had loaded a bullet just not cocked the gun.Rack with vigor.

·
Shhh!
1,639 Posts
Nice report. I'll fix the earlier post:

Move to the South. That will help rid you of most left-wingers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice report. I'll fix the earlier post:

Move to the South. That will help rid you of most left-wingers.
I assume you mean the south of the US, right? If I just move south, it puts me closer to California, not sure I want to get any closer than I am already :) I'm already sandwiched in between CA and WA, and I'd still choose OR over both of them. Plus we don't have hurricanes here ;)

Honestly, if I ever left the state, it would probably be to ID or MT. I could probably get a job with my company's parent company in MT too, so that would be a bonus. Plus I'd know that I'd be around folks of a similar point of view :p

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Be ready!
Maybe...someday. I don't think that day is today though :)

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,874 Posts
To be honest, when I bought this pistol, I really wasn't certain if I would keep it. But seeing the results of my first shoot today, I think I can safely say this gun will stay in my collection for quite a while.

Kudos to Hi-Point for pulling off a decent sub-$200 pistol. I can see why the folks here are so impressed. I guess I'll have to start taking a closer look at the C9 and one of those carbines :p
I would suggest pairing up the JHP with the 4595 since you already have the
JHP... and the JCP/4095 is likely the best Hi Point combo they make! The best
thing going for the C9/995 is cheap ammo, but they do not share mags like
the bigger caliber pistol/carbine setups. Also, the 40 and 45 carbines seem to
like the ProMags better than the 995 does, but I have not tried this myself.

Welcome to HPFF!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would suggest pairing up the JHP with the 4595 since you already have the
JHP... and the JCP/4095 is likely the best Hi Point combo they make! The best
thing going for the C9/995 is cheap ammo, but they do not share mags like
the bigger caliber pistol/carbine setups. Also, the 40 and 45 carbines seem to
like the ProMags better than the 995 does, but I have not tried this myself.

Welcome to HPFF!
That's a good suggestion, and something I'll definitely consider down the road.

·
Duke of Sarcasm
5,028 Posts
That's a good suggestion, and something I'll definitely consider down the road.
Besides, you can never have to many hi-points...:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts