Shot my new 995TS yesterday

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Woreign, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Woreign

Woreign Member

I finally had a chance to get out to the range and shoot my new 995TS. What a great gun! Even my wife enjoyed shooting it! The only issues were a couple of failures to feed, but I believe these were due to the magazines being new and not having a chance to wear in yet.

I bought the gun with the red dot sight, but decided to leave the iron sights on for now. We shoot at an outdoor range and the sun is typically shining towards us, so I'm certain that the red dot would get washed out. My wife, being 5'-4", had some trouble getting her face up close to the rear sight, so I'm wondering if a regular optical scope would be better for her? I'd like to keep the iron sights as well, so a full rail and 45 degree folding sights might be a future upgrade.

2. lLolRlDlRGlH

lLolRlDlRGlH Member

Congrats on your new 995TS! I'm getting ready to pick one up from a friend. It's the older style which I've read is referred to as the "planet of the apes" style.

3. ndindy

ndindy Member

You don't put your face up close to iron sights.

4. Woreign

Woreign Member

A better description is that her cheek rests toward the end of the stock, not on the "cheek pad". She said it was difficult to line of the sights and target.

5. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I had the same problem with my 995ts. I also am 5'4", and the LOP was about an inch longer than what would be truly comfortable. My cheek doesn't really rest on the cheek pad like it should. But it wasn't too awfully bad, and could shoot it just fine. There are some who have actually cut the stock down with a hacksaw, then epoxied the buttplate on. You can also just remove the springs, which takes about a half inch off the LOP. That is what I did. Couldn't bring myself to cut into it!

6. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Haven't got to try it out since I removed the springs, but it feels more comfortable to hold.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome: LOL Rider or whatever your name is :rofl:

:welcome:Woreign!
    Hope you get this figured out. Long Shot Mfg has these rails, THE BEST!
    I have several of their products. TOP NOTCH! #1 Quality :cool:

http://longshotmanufacturing.com/t/hi-point

8. ndindy

ndindy Member

Yep, length of pull (LOP) is too much. I've modded a couple stocks for that reason, never tried it on a HP though.

Looking at it in pictures, seems fairly short to start with but I've got monkey arms. Or if you're in the rock climbing world, I'm a positive in the ape index :laugh: I think my overall arm span is about 4'ish inches longer than my body is supposed to have. Or my legs are too short, which is a high probability. I buy mens large size shirts to fit my shoulders, and I buy my pants in the g'ranimals section at sears :laugh:

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    :eek: Smaller than a Mole! :D

10. Woreign

Woreign Member

I was planning on using a 45 degree offset for the red dot scope, but I'm left-handed and my wife is right-handed, and I know she will like the scope better. So the scope will need to be primary and the iron sights secondary...

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    No. It's called a "Monkey Gun". It's resemblance to the guns used in Planet of the Apes is the reason why.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You do if it's aperture or peep sights.

Seriously...AR/M16, M14, Garand, Springfield, Olympic diopter so, Marble or Lyman tang sights....or the HP!:p

We were taught to keep our nose on the M16 charging handle in basic.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Seriously? You're going to argue about which reference to the Planet of the Apes movie is used?

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

14. cicpup

Vermont
    With the amount of emphasis you put on semantics, you're going to question this? "Monkey Gun". Say it. It rolls naturally off the tongue. "Planet of the Apes Gun". Not only cumbersome to say but more of a description than a name. Also, the name "Planet of the Apes Gun" only came into existence when some of 'those people' became convinced that "Monkey Gun" referred to certain owners.

Besides, it's probably the only thing I can argue right now that won't get my ass banned.

15. ndindy

ndindy Member

Hehehe, I've felt a charging handle on my nose a few thousand times myself. LE not military. I always viewed that particular point similar to having a button on a bow string, more about consistency than anything.

I'm guessing in the PC world today they can't teach that anymore. It might be offensive to someone without a nose, or to someone with a big nose :laugh:

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    :rofl:
    Good thing I have good control, milk all over my keyboard would have been a bad thing...:p

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Don't try that with the HP!!! :D Bloody Snoot, like Kirk! :rofl: JK...
    Ajole, I noticed with aperture sights, that if the hole looks too small,
    it appears larger if you get closer. Tip for those "aging eyes" I hear
    about all the time. I'm older too, but had mine "tweaked" and "tuned" :dance:

I want to report Rich's post, arguing with a noob :rofl:

:eek: waitafrigginminute... if they ban cicpup, there is only m00nzy left between me and the ban-hammerZ... :eek:
    :foilhat:
    :wah:
    :(

:rofl:
    :p

18. cicpup

Vermont
    So as you get closer to something it appears larger? Are you sure? New to me. Why hasn't someone ever noticed this before? Mind blowing.

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I would like to report Mole. He consistently kisses the mods asses while blaming others for starting crap. When he is the primary trouble maker. Swaga ban him till 2016.

20. Zeroturner

Zeroturner Member

I just got my 995 FGTS Monday and I love it!

I zeroed in the iron sights day before yesterday and then today yanked off both front and rear sights. Yeah, I know, but what about co-witness? Meh, I don't care about co-witness.

I put a Lucid M7 Microdot on it and man, it's far better than iron sights. (on sale at Primary Arms for $99.00 - no, I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.T hose guys are great. They installed my Geissele triggers on my AR's at no extra charge - lucky me, I live about 25 miles from them...)

Plus, I installed the 2 magazine holder and 2 magazines HiPoint sells for $43.00. Came in the mail today! It's a good deal and now I have 30 rounds at my disposal.

Have you installed the sling?

I haven't as I'm spoiled by the VCAS and VTAC 2 point slings I put on my Colt LE 6920 AR's.

While my pistols are Glocks, Browning and the odd spurless Ruger SP101 .357 magnum revolver, I'm having more fun with my HiPoint carbine than those other items.

The HP carbine is going to be my truck gun.

Jihadis beware...