Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been saving my pennies and am making plans. I already have a few items on my list but I'm considering between (maybe) these two.

I can get a decent shot timer (with bluetooth) for about $75 and I've had a decent (bluetooth enabled) Chronny pointed out to me for about $100.

One could help me with training, the other could help my handloading.

or should I do neither and buy more reloading gear and/or components? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I'd go with the shot timer, first. All of the best reloaded ammo in the world is worth less than some good reloaded ammo and REALLY solid training. I've been telling myself to get a shot timer forever, and I still haven't done it yet. Without a timer, gauging my splits is all subjective. It would be better if my assessments were more concrete.

As one who trains with a purpose as you seem to be, you'll probably end up regretting it if don't prioritize the shot timer.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Just my opinion since I participated in alot of sanctioned matches and my handloaded ammo had to meet certain standards, I found a chrony to be of more use than a shot timer. Besides, it is not who shoots the fastest and wins and misses their target entirely, it is who, hits the target and puts their aggressor down with a round that takes them out! Hell, I can go out into my back yard and fire off rounds from my fantastic plastic gluck and not hit anything but dirt. But yeah, I should have had a shot timer to tell me how many earth worms I killed! Those earthworms deserve to know when they will be terminated! YMMV! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Just my opinion since I participated in alot of sanctioned matches and my handloaded ammo had to meet certain standards, I found a chrony to be of more use than a shot timer. Besides, it is not who shoots the fastest and wins and misses their target entirely, it is who, hits the target and puts their aggressor down with a round that takes them out! Hell, I can go out into my back yard and fire off rounds from my fantastic plastic gluck and not hit anything but dirt. But yeah, I should have had a shot timer to tell me how many earth worms I killed! Those earthworms deserve to know when they will be terminated! YMMV! ;)
Hey, shooting dirt is good for getting water to the roots of your lawn, and it's more fun than pushing around an aerator.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Hey, shooting dirt is good for getting water to the roots of your lawn, and it's more fun than pushing around an aerator.
Okay, if you say so! My response went way over your head and apparently you dont have a clue. Carry on! Damn, I joined a fourm with democratic stupid butt hole people!

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Okay, if you say so! My response went way over your head and apparently you dont have a clue. Carry on! Damn, I joined a fourm with democratic stupid butt hole people!
20HN.gif

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Neither buy more reload crap. Bullets, primer powder..
Since you don't shoot competition. But something that will actually have use.
While both are cool to have U don't need either.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Alright, dude. You are talking about idiots, but you just absolutely missed the facetious tone in my post. There is no other way that should have been taken. So tell me: do you have a JD, or did you sleep in a Holiday Inn to get an IQ that is just obviously so much higher than everyone else's around here?

By the way, if you're using a shot timer just to get fast shots, while ignoring accuracy, then you're training wrong. As "someone who shoots in a lot of sanctioned matches," you should know that.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Alright, dude. You are talking about idiots, but you just absolutely missed the facetious tone in my post. There is no other way that should have been taken. So tell me: do you have a JD, or did you sleep in a Holiday Inn to get an IQ that is just obviously so much higher than everyone else's around here?
I don't think he can hear you

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Yeah, I kind of figured. My other guess was either that he'd just been ejected from the site or that he was rage quitting.
Once a mod sees his posts it's only a matter of time. He only made 27 posts before he couldn't handle it and needed more attention.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Once a mod sees his posts it's only a matter of time. He only made 27 posts before he couldn't handle it and needed more attention.
He thinks he's unique, but the mod has sent more than one of his kind packing.

·
Banned
32 Posts

By the way, if you're using a shot timer just to get fast shots, while ignoring accuracy, then you're training wrong. As "someone who shoots in a lot of sanctioned matches," you should know that.
No dick head! I dont shoot by fast times. I shoot with ammo that will take out my aggressor! Fast shooting times that misses your intendented target dont mean shit if it does not hit the intended target. Well placed rounds that hit your target is where it is at!

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Neither buy more reload crap. Bullets, primer powder..
Since you don't shoot competition. But something that will actually have use.
While both are cool to have U don't need either.
You are right that I don't do competitions. But a lot of the drills that I am interested in to help me improve require objective measurement. The sort that don't play well with the cheap timer apps for my phone. it's not about improving competition it's about improving my basic skills.

That said, to be honest, I haven't done a lot of the drills, not because I don't have a timer, but because I let myself get distracted and busy doing other things that really aren't important. I guess I'm kind of hoping that if I decide to go with a timer that it will help motivate me. :)

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

Reactions: Think1st

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No dick head! I dont shoot by fast times. I shoot with ammo that will take out my aggressor! Fast shooting times that misses your intendented target dont mean shit if it does not hit the intended target. Well placed rounds that hit your target is where it is at!
Easy guys. This thread is about short-timers versus chronographs.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Easy guys. This thread is about short-timers versus chronographs.
Speaking of short timers. I predict you're talking to one.

Reactions: SWAGA

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of short timers. I predict you're talking to one.
You may be right. But I'm hoping that everything can remain acrimonious.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
So, tell me: in the numerous sanctioned shooting matches in which you've participated, when you hit all A-Zones but take a really long time, causing you to have a score lower than someone who hit a bunch of B-Zones in a really short period of time, did you win?

If you are bringing your gun up as quickly as the bad guy, but he fires and hits you before you hit him, did you win?

Making hits that count--and making those hits quickly--requires tracking the amount of time it takes you to make those hits.

But I don't think you really shoot any matches. You're full of it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts