Shotgun slugs fired through factory smooth bore barrel - any experience?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Please forgive this thread if it rehashes a dead topic. I can't find a direct answer online.

I'd like to load foster slugs in my Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge for home defense. Factory barrel is simply the smooth bore with modified choke that came from Mossberg.

When you shoot slugs, doesn't the slug grip the bore like a bullet? And when the slug reaches the choke tube, wouldn't it send the barrel down range with it or else explode the barrel like a mini Hiroshima? I'm thinking I'd need a slug barrel?

Is this accurate? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

2. cruiser

cruiser Member

Rifled slugs are for use in a s smooth barrel.

3. lsi1

lsi1 Member

A slug barrel will help with accuracy but I'd think that you would be fine with a modified choke and smooth bore barrel. Shot a lot of slugs from my mossberg 500 home defense 12ga and never had any problems at all.

4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Usually you want no choke with slugs. Barrel can be damaged. What does Mossberg say about shooting slugs through that barrel?

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Mossberg and everyone else says shooting the regular slugs through a modified choke is normal.

You definitely don't take the choke out, you might fill or damage the threads.

From Mossberg:

"Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through a "smoothbore" field barrel with Accu-Choke™ tubes? (500/505/535/9200/88/930 models)"

"Yes, and with sabots or rifled slugs, the more "open" the choke tube, the better the accuracy ("Improved Cylinder" recommended.) The "full" or "modified" choke tubes are preferred for buckshot loads. Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an extra full "turkey tube" installed, due to the tube's tight constriction. Do not fire any load without a choke tube installed, doing so will damage the internal choke tube threads."

Notice, the standard slugs are Brenneke or Foster slugs, not the rifled slugs. Modified is "preferred" for Buckshot, but slugs still work fine.

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Right up until you have one with "not meant for slugs" stamped on the barrel.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the pix coming up for "smooth bore slugs" ;)

8. Does it say modified choke? Or have threads for others?
    I bought a mossy 500 this year and the 18" barrel has "cylinder bore" stamped and no threads.

9. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I have a Mossberg 24" barrel, .410 with full choke. I have shot several 3" Brenneke slugs which state they can be shot through a full choke. Never had any problems with the slug or choke. I doubt they would make a good long range Deer slug. I would think 30-40 yrds would be a max?

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Me and my Mossberg 185D-A went through a ton of slugs before someone suggested I shouldn't. We're both still here.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Sounds like a cool gun, but .410 ammo is a bit pricey?

12. Grant

Grant Member

I've killed many deer with a 12 gauge smooth bore using slugs. The gun was my grandfathers and has a poly choke on it. Trust me, you will be fine.

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I think so. Brenneke 3" 410 slugs are around $1.70 each, Winchester .410 slugs are around $1.20 each depending upon where you get them.

14. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I have been hunting deer with both 12 and 20 gauge smooth bore shot guns since 1964. Chokes were both IC and Modified. Most guns were with no choke tubes. In fact, those were more accurate with all rounds than my guns with a later choke tube. Dunno? Just way it is. Mossberg's and Remington's. Pumps and semi auto.

Start with plain old Remington or Winchester rifled slugs before you jump to the expensive ones. Your gun may well like them better. Lot of hype today about velocity on these slugs. Matters not to me for hunting or HD. At 100 yards which is where I end up sighting a shotgun at, is far away more important than velocity in a shot gun. 2x scope or not, 100 yards is good for me.

Yea, tried many of the boutique slugs. But, many were far less accurate than the cheap rifled slugs you can always find on the shelf. For Hd, I just use the Winchester plain Jane cheap rifled slugs. They will kill any deer in several guns at 100 yards, so why not at 10 feet? :)

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I probably ran 500 Federal rifled slugs through my 870 express deer hunting. Dropped a doe at 125 yards too. Didn't hurt the barrel, years of steel shot did the wear...

16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Standard foster type slugs are fine in a smooth bore barrel, as are the Brenneke type with the attached base. They are made of soft lead and will swage down to fit the barrel. You will probably find better accuracy with the open chokes though, although my most accurate "slug deer gun" was a full choked bolt action 20 gauge shooting Remington slugs! If your shotgun is equipped with a choke tube, do not remove it, leave it in place! FWIW, rifled slugs do not spin in flight, they are stabalized by being nose heavy.

17. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

18. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Here is a 20" barrel for the 500 $70 @ CDNN

[​IMG]