Shotshell's???

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Super_Virgil, May 11, 2008.

1. Anyone do shotshell reloading? My buddy is buy i 12ga, and wants me to reload shotshells for him since i am doing metalic now. Is a lee load all going to do me ok, and how do i mold pellets????

SV

2. I don't know anything about making shot(or if anybody even does that) but I know that a while back some of the trap shooters around here said that its not economical to load for shotgun anymore. The main reason is that a bag of shot is 50-75 bucks(YIKES). Loading comes out to be just barley cheaper than buying new, then there is the time involved. I would recommend running the numbers and see what you think.

3. doktor

doktor Guest

I have used the Load-All for 12 gauge, it is kind of relaxing to reload shotshells with it, it is not as fast as some of the others, but if you aren't reloading for a skeet/trap match, every week, then it is quite adequate. I have not priced the components lately, so I can't say whether it is cheaper. I never knew anyone that made their own shot pellets, so I'm not sure that would be cost effective, especially getting accurate, repeatable results. I guess it all depends on your purpose for doing it.
    As with any type of reloading project, it may not be done just to save a dime, it is, at least to me, an additional part of the whole shooting hobby. I get to mess with explosives, even in the house!!!!
    The Load-All is cheap enough to give it a try, and if you don't care for it, sell it in your next yardsale.

Doc

4. I know someone that has stated that he rolls his own shot, but I haven't seen any of it to confirm that statement. It's basically the same as casting bullets, except for the last part, there are no molds for shot smaller than 000 buck I believe. Again, I don't know much about it, but from what my buddy said, it's expensive as hell to get started doing it, but it's easy once you get all the tools together.

5. It's been a few years since I used my Lee Load-All II press, but back when I could get a bag of lead shot for $14, I was loading 1 1/8 oz. target loads for about $2.70/box. But since the price of those bags of shot have gone up to around $40 per bag in my area, I'm guessing the price is going to cost around $5 or more per box to reload. You're probably not going to save much money reloading shells right now, but it's still fun to do. Plus, you can reload 3" shells using that press, and the price savings may be much more noticeable on those.

My favorite wad for the 1 1/8 oz. loads were the Claybuster Windjammer wads. I can also load 1 oz. loads with these wads. I used the OLD style Winchester AA hulls, Cheddite primers, and mostly Red Dot powder. My average on the clays course was 35/50, and occasionally I would score over 40/50. As far as I know, there were only two guys who actually got a perfect score on our course, and that only happened within the last 5 years.

Yeah, sporting clays is fun. ;)

wizard93

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

I quit entirely except for specialty rounds like slugs or buckshot that i cast myself. casting shot is a process best left to the tinkerers. Ive done it, but the time i spent figuring out all the quirks and details would have been better spent on something else when i can go to runnings or wally world and buy shells for 4.50 a box.

The guys over on the lead bullet forums use a mold originally designed for slingshot ammo for 00 buckshot. it works well.
    http://www.johnnyspond.com/do-it-molds-sling-shot-pellet-molds.html

SW