Should Gun Owners Study Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Training' started by lklawson, Oct 16, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

From: http://www.usacarry.com/gun-owners-study-martial-arts/

Should Gun Owners Study Martial Arts?
    April 9, 2014 | by Jason Hanson

Years ago, I was spending time with well-known firearms instructor Massad Ayoob. Since he’s been in the shooting business more than 40 years, I asked him, “What’s one thing you wish you’d known or done when you first started out?”

To my surprise, he said he wished he’d started studying the martial arts and hand-to-hand self-defense a lot sooner than he did.

And, actually, I can say the same thing. When I was with the Agency we spent a heck of a lot more time doing firearms training than training with a knife or empty hand defense. And when I left the Agency I continued the firearms training but didn’t spend the amount of time I should of studying the martial arts.

After all, I try and carry my gun with me every time I leave my house, but there are places I go that I can’t bring it, such as the post office. And, in two weeks I’ll be teaching a course in Los Angeles where I won’t be able to carry my gun at all.

The fact is, as much as I love guns, when it comes to personal protection I believe in being as well-rounded as possible in case I find myself in a life or death situation and I don’t have my gun.

Plus, even if I do have my gun with me, martial arts training teaches you how to move properly (to help you get off the X quicker) and it also teaches you how to fight in close quarters situations so you can properly defend yourself against an attacker while you draw your gun.

This is why I currently study the Filipino martial arts, but there are plenty of other choices to study too, including Krav Maga. If you do a simple Internet search I’m sure you’ll find lots of places around your home where you could get training (you’ll be amazed what you’ll be able to do with an edged weapon or even empty handed after having some of this training.)

Another important thing to consider is that you don’t have to be a ninja or in the best shape of your life to train in the martial arts. I’ve talked to a lot of people who seem intimidated by going out to this type of training, but you’ll find people from all walks of life in most places you visit. And of course, if you try a place and it’s a little too “Rambo-ish” or the people are jerks then just try somewhere else.

When bad things happen you want to have as many options as you can to protect yourself. So even though I’ve got my gun on me anytime I legally can, I still want to know as many methods as possible to protect myself and my family.

So if you’ve ever thought about training in a martial art, look up a place near you today, and make it a goal to attend a class next week.​

I'm still offering classes out of my home, right here in Huber Heights. Come by and see. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I see guns as the great equalizer:

• Larger, stronger more violent opponent
    • Multiple opponents
    • Armed opponents
    • Keep away stand off weapon
    • Area denial weapon

Despite the obvious:

• Limited mag capacity ( I carry a 5+1 plus extra mag)
    • Limited concealed carry capacity ( can't carry a large weapon concealed)
    • Strong arm draw vs weak arm draw in case of injury
    • Unable to draw gun in time
    • Physically prevented from drawing a gun
    • Unknown second assailant (Walmart shooting)

Carrying a gun concealed is not a fix-it-all.
    I have had some martial arts training but nothing in the last 18 years.
    Even a semi experienced recreational martial artist has no chance against a assailant grown up to and used to violence. Seasoned ( ex-con) criminals have a level of exposure to physical violence that a normal person does not have.
    A normal person fears being hit and fears physical pain.
    A seasoned criminal will see it as a tool.

See and avoid, be smart,
    don't go looking for sh*t and don't be paranoid either.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yea, verily.

Yes. No. Maybe.
    If you don't engage in contact then you won't get used to it. Not all "martial arts" are dancing in white pajama and playing games of light-slap tag. As an example, I'm not afraid of being hit. I've been hit. I get hit comparatively regularly. Last night at Judo alone, doing what was supposed to be "light" newaza (ground grappling) with a kid, I took an elbow to the jaw, an elbow to the nuts, and a foot to the nuts. And that's just light newaza, not Pugilism, stick-fighting, or what-have-you.

I knew one idiot who scoffed at martial arts because, according to him, "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the beak" (yes, that's a quote). He'd been in one or two fights and was convinced that it was all just about hitting the other guy in the "beak." <sigh> Yeah, if he's never been hit before. But lots of people train in boxing, judo, wrestling, savate, kyokushin, muay thai, and mma. I wanted to call him Horatio. :p Heck, I know a bunch of guys who don't really get worked up until they've take a shot or two (including one to the "beak").

Yes, violent criminals are intimately acquainted with violence. They're willing to use it and it is frequently a "lifestyle" to them. Do they have more experience with violence than a "martial artist?" Maybe. Sometimes. But not always.

Just "doing" a "martial art" doesn't necessarily get you acquainted with violence, to say nothing of being a match for a violent criminal, or even "ready" for it. But, by the same token, being a violent criminal doesn't automatically mean he's gonna waltz through a "martial artist" like walking among the daisies.

It ain't all about your training and it ain't all about personal "agression" but those things sure are important.

<nods>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  4. Branth

Branth Member

What would you suggest as an easy-to-learn and effective martial art? I live in a reasonably small town - We have a couple of karate/tae-kwon-do places around here, but I wasn't able to find any Krav Maga locally, which is what I really want to learn.

I carry a pocketknife everywhere, so something that addresses using a knife would be handy.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Krav can be hit and miss in terms of whether or not it's any good. Some years back, any idiot could go take a short weekend seminar and be "certified" in Krav.

Any martial art that features occasional sparring with hard contact. I really was serious about those examples. Judo, Boxing, Wrestling (particularly "Catch" though it's hard to find), Muay Thai boxing, Brazilian Jui Jitsu, la Savate, Kyokushin Karate. Heck, even Tae Kwon Do can be made into the martial art it should be if it's taught with occasional sessions of actual hard contact instead of sissy-tag that most TKD sporting focuses on.

Weapons arts are good too. Most available of them are the Philippino arts such as Kali, Arnis, and Escrima, though Indonesian arts, generically known as "Silat" are becoming much more available. Look for a "Dog Brothers Martial Arts" affiliate; "Higher Consciousness Through Harder Contact." ;)

Remember, you don't have to become an awesome fighter, just good enough to survive through the initial encounter and make the goblin conclude that there are easier meal-tickets elsewhere.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Isn't there an adage about knife fighting, that you need to accept the fact you're going to get cut, but make sure you cut the other person worse?..... I'm probably way off, or plum wrong, but it sounds familiar.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Close enough. Usually, these days, it goes closer to "accept that you're going to be cut. manage the location of where you are cut." The idea being that it's darn near impossible to not get cut in a knife attack/fight but that you can change handwork, footwork, and body position so that only non-vital, non-debilitating areas are cut; most typically either the outside of the forearm (below the back-of-the-hand wrist) or along the ulna.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Guns ARE a martial art.:cool:

Just saying.;)

I took some Judo in college as a PE class, very nice place to start, as it's a sport with rules, it isn't about strength or size if you learn the proper techniques, and even old fat folks that aren't too flexible can make it work at some level.

After getting started there, you can extend it into other more "violent" things with some confidence.

9. bluharley

bluharley Member

My joints are so bad, one swing or kick and I'll be crippled with pain...no martial arts for me, give me my gun.

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I my experience most cons don't know s*** about fighting. They like to use the 5 on one method. If your heart is in it. You have an advantage. Be willing to take a hit or cut but you must be willing to hit back or cut. It works better if you end up forcing them back. The stand your ground works for this. But you have to know how to hit or cut like Lawson says. You don't have to be a ninja. Practice practice practice. Is the key. And it doesn't have to be for hours at a time. But you have to be willing to engage. Its one of the hardest parts when training new officers. Except wrestlers they like to touch you.

11. eet

eet Member

I believe this is really the key to any martial arts if you want real world use. I have broken an arm and ribs and sustained some pretty serious welts and black eyes over the years in sparring. I hate the time off after but it makes me feel better when I look back and realize I was still ready to go.

12. Bull

More like hugging, than touching!

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That's one of the fun things about and judo. It usually starts out as a sport for most people, and that is indeed how it is taught in most schools, but any judoka who's been in it for more than 5 years or so knows all of the dirty tricks and how to apply them as the old style judo which was much less of a sport.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

14. Bull

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1413500542.287072.jpg ................

15. Bull

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1413500601.808557.jpg ................

16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I believe in the ancient Chinese art of bangpow.

17. Bull

A buddy of mine studied a particularly nasty martial art (the name escapes me), based on pretty much breaking everything in your way to the body, near as I can tell.... He has mentioned that the Sensei would frequently throw guys twice his size, in near superhuman ways.... Amazing what tiny Asian men can do to gorillas.

18. I'm really interested in training to fight. For more than just the defense. It seems like a way to get an amazing work out. And really raise the stakes and fun compared to a punching bag.

Unfortunately with most things it's awfully cost prohibitive.

I did find a boxing place 25 minutes from me. But they don't list any prices online.

19. Bull

I used to love to wrestle......and throws..... Gee whiz I love throws!

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

P.S.,

Yes, guns ARE a martial art. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk