Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current political climate has many of us spooked. The Colt 601 reproduction that I built should have a 1:14, possibly a 1:12 barrel on it, and the furniture should not be black. After a small amount of searching, I have found some brown or speckled furniture for it.

While searching, I found an A1 stripped lower and a C7 upper. Even saw a teardrop forward assist.

I've got a lower parts kit and an A1 dust cover already. I'm not getting rid of the current black furniture.

If I can find a good enough deal on a barrel, I am pretty tempted to really retro the retro and build a retro M16A1.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I saw a lot of replacement AR bolts.

IMG_6738.jpg

·
Banned
453 Posts
Hard to say as I dont know your personal situation. I have put most of my projects have been put on hold. Its tempting to get burried into hobbies right now and ignore the world. mIf you are all set and ready to go why not. Retro ARs are really cool and I am not an AR guy really. I have a stock M4 similar to what I used in the service but thats it.

I am focussed on leaning out right now (mostly why I came back to forums). I should be done by the end of the month. My big holes are coms and night vision. I really need a police scanner. I just dont have much of a knowledge base on this stuff so it may not happen in time.

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
It’s not a bad idea, as long as you can get the parts at a decent price.
You won’t be able to build it at last year’s prices, but relative to complete gun prices, there are still prices out there that make building a gun cheaper than buying one off the rack.

If you want it and aren’t skipping rent payments, you should do it.

After I griped about the lack of $80 bolts, I found one with an Aero upper and CH included for $145. Which is decent for right now, even if it isn’t the cheapskate super low price I prefer. So...it’s 2020, ammo is $1 a round or more, Facebook is fact checking freaking memes for crying out loud....and I bought it. One of the LGS’s still has Anderson lowers for $60. I have everything else but a barrel and handguards. Which are stupid high priced.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Only reason you're asking is because you know you shouldn't and you're counting on the enablers here to talk you into it. So no. You should not.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
You can SCW (pronounced 'skew' and stands for shoulda, coulda, woulda) all day but the real question is:

The real question is why that type? Why build a retro repro from an LPK and a dust cover instead of a modern style since you're going to have to buy everything anyways?

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Personally, I am putting just about everything on hold (except ammo), for now. Who knows which way the winds will be blowing six months from now. JMHO

·
Registered
737 Posts
The current political climate has many of us spooked. The Colt 601 reproduction that I built...

Any thoughts?
Last March Biden told Beto O'Rourke, ""You're going to take care of the gun problem with me, you're going to be the one who leads this effort."

Due to the current political climate, it's probably best to build a percussion or a flint lock rifle.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Last March Biden told Beto O'Rourke, ""You're going to take care of the gun problem with me, you're going to be the one who leads this effort."

Due to the current political climate, it's probably best to build a percussion or a flint lock rifle.
I am thinking more like emergency escape tunnel underneath the house. Kina wish I would have went into structural engineering. My dad could do it but he is in far off lands now down in Florida.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can SCW (pronounced 'skew' and stands for shoulda, coulda, woulda) all day but the real question is:

The real question is why that type? Why build a retro repro from an LPK and a dust cover instead of a modern style since you're going to have to buy everything anyways?
Because I have already built three modern AR's.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a 50 caliber percussion rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
My big holes are comms and night vision. I really need a police scanner.
I would love to get some night vision equipment. It is just fun to use even if you never had to use it for survival. It is just so expensive so the price is keeping me out.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Because I have already built three modern AR's.
Then why bother ask us? If in today's political climate and elevated market pricing your only reason to build is the aesthetics, then you've already decided you're going to build it. There's no need for anyone here to help you justify your decision.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A buddy has decided that he is no longer interested in his 300 BLK pistol. I had already traded him some brass for his SB Tactical brace. I'll be buying the rest of it in a few weeks. The lower receiver is an Aero Precision M4E1.

IMG_1890.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
In the process of buying bits and bobs for my KE Arms polymer lower that “should” be here before 2022, I accidentally got enough stupid good deals that I built another complete lower.

Crazy, isn’t it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts