Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about what I could do to make some cash... short of prostitution, selling drugs, and extortion I have an option to run by you guys.
Headlight restoration... That's where I make your old foggy/hazy/damaged (not broken) headlight housings, and make them new again. Here's 2 examples of the work I am capable of:
Mid 90's Chrysler Cirrus driver's side headlight before and after-

My 2000 Kia Sephia (the one I totaled) passenger side headlight before and after-

These were both done by hand, no sandpaper involved. Think about that for a second... no sandpaper... no machine... and I made them look like new. I know my abilities, and I am able to get good results without a buffer, but I can achieve the same results or better with a machine... not to mention how much time will be saved by using the machine to do all of the work. I will be getting a buffer soon... one way or another... because I'm tired of seeing cars look crappy due to some faded out headlights.
I think I will offer the headlight restoration service at a reasonable price... So... What's reasonable folks? How much would one expect to pay to have this done? I don't want the headlight Dr's price list, I want what the common man will gladly hand over. :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hey i say go for it! you should have lots of chrysler and ford customers as thers do this ...most GM vehicles use POLY C and therefore are immune!

Oh and 30.00 per side should be fair as most headlight buckets cost from 60.00 to 300.00+

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Go for it. Offer lamp replacement at the same time and I'd think you should do well. If you can repair small cracks that's another service I would use.

20-30 per cover seems fair add 20 plus the lamp (with a fair mark up) for replacement.

Ron M.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah you will need to run this as a LLC with liability ins.. also take a picture before and after of every job you do and include a printout of such as part of the job have them sign a Repair order with said pictures attached for your records!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
liability insurance? I'm not roofing houses or wiring up fuse panels... Would I need liability insurance to polish up headlights? Seriously? If I have to buy insurance, it will not be profitable.
Thanks dream killer! :(

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fact of life my man. even the guy that hands out the freebie ad paper around here has to have liability insurance and he doesnt make a dime.

SW
I am going to blame global warming... back to the drawing board I guess... dammit.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
or you can find a buddy that has a shop and would let you work as a contract employee under his ins.... for a % of course

G

·
go for it self insure {put $5 away from each job in case you have to buy a lawyer} a friend of mine does it and makes a great living.keep good records .don't drive the car and do it at their location.and the KEY is to find the correct clear spray .they are NOT all created equal

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
go for it self insure {put $5 away from each job in case you have to buy a lawyer} a friend of mine does it and makes a great living.keep good records .don't drive the car and do it at their location.and the KEY is to find the correct clear spray .they are NOT all created equal
If something goes badly with a job, maybe you can just purchase a new replacement from the dealer. That will set you back on that job but it seems the profit you make on all of the good jobs would pay for the occasional hiccup. Hmmm... I seem to recall a certain firearm manufacturer will make good on the once-in-a-blue-moon lemon...

I think you should try it out. Like AR15 noted, just set a little aside for contingencies, go to the job (if possible) rather than keeping it at your location, and do a little product homework. You should be good to go!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah you could run it like those paintless dent removal folks...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.