Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Should I? Trade a carbine upper for a midlength upper?

2K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  CamoDeafie 
#1 ·
Now, I've had this Sarco special M4-clone 16" AR for a while.... .223 Wylde; parkerized grayish barrel coating, 1:9 twist, pinned FSB, carbine gas length with skinny carbine handguards... the thing is though, the stock is a M4 Clone from likely UTG or some other brand, since when I got the kit, the stock, buffer, spring and tube were in a bag with a "Made In china" sticker.. unlike the rest of the parts.

I've a hankering to do something similar to the Colt MT6731 Match Target carbine with an A2 stock, but seeing photos of the midlength gas 16" uppers with A1 and A2 stocks really make them look awesome... so I'm looking at possibly trading or just sell this upper without BCG/CH and carry handle, and acquire a 16" midlength upper with FSB....
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

Colt MT6731 with Heavy Barrel, available from 1997-2012ish?

What I have

Camouflage Military camouflage Machine gun Air gun Trigger

At the top above the 12" Grendel with 3d printed blade brace

Revolver Musical instrument Everyday carry Air gun Shotgun

On the left, obviously :rolleyes:

What I kinda liking...

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Not mine, found on Google, I don't own a glock 🤣

See less See more
#2 ·
I like rifle and midlength gas, simply because of how they shoot.
I dislike the exposed groove for the 203, just as a look.

I would not do deals buying and selling and swapping trying to match a “look”, especially when really, no one but me is going to notice it, nor understand, nor care. If it shot better enough to make it worth it, maybe.

The one gun I did that on, cost me about $30 for the handguards to make my A1 sighted XM15 rifle look like an M16A1.

Stick with what you have, until you can simply get what you want.

Reactions: undeRGRound
#3 ·
I'm.already planning to swap stock for an A2 stock. That may still be the furthest I go on this particular carbine. Other than that, it's more of thinking I enjoy the fixed stock guns more than the M4 collapsible stock... although I don't remember if I've ever shot a fixed stock AR as a young'un

#6 ·
I'm with AL, just save up and get the proper upper you want. Used to be lots of Heffers on here were posting great deals all the time, so maybe you could buy it a part or 2 at a time. I'm fact, I'd like to see you just build another whole rifle in this new configuration, even if it takes longer. It is really a whole 'nother rifle anyway. 🤷‍♂️

#9 ·
I wonder how difficult it would be to have a stock that's between the Entry Ace stock (7.25 long) and the standard Ace stock (10 long)? The A1 is 10.25" long, the A2 seems to be a half inch longer? Can anyone confirm?
10⅝"

Reactions: CamoDeafie
#11 · (Edited)
I see there is this 9.3" long Extended Pistol Buffer Tube. Makes me wonder if it would be feasible to just get the Ace Entry skeleton stock without buffer tube, then this extended tube, and then drill &tap end of this tube for the stock screw..maybe need some sort of spacer/3d printed spacer, or just throw on a couple carbine end plates and two castle nuts...be a bit wonky looking 🤣🤣 1.249" Outside diameter may not work (edited) if the skeleton stocks uses 1.14-1.168" OD buffer tubes.... would need machinist to turn it down...

Cylinder Auto part Office supplies Stationery Engineering

#14 ·
Being 5’8”; I prefer the shorter A1 stock.

You need to define if you are comparing LOP, or length of the stock, or length of the tube. Some ad copy uses one, while others use the other specification.

#15 ·
Length of tube because the Ace skeleton stocks apparently are measured as overall length before installing. IE, 7.5" pistol style (round, no keyway) carbine tube, 10" rifle tube.

Something I've noticed; almost every retailer that sells "rifle extension/buffer tube" have them as the same 10"ish length +/- the A2 spacer and longer screw?

Edit. Me.. with the M4 stock, I like it at between 3 and 4 clicks out (halfway between full collapse and full extend)

#19 ·
Not really. I have several A1 and A2 stocks, A1 tubes, and A2 spacers floating around.

You asked how much longer the A2 is. That answer is ⅝".

In reality there is only an A1 buffer tube with A2 spacers. That tube has an over all length of 10" and a spring pocket depth of 9⅞". It also extends 9.5" from the rear of the receiver.

But you didn't ask for all that...

#20 ·
More info is good. So from what it sounds like, the Ace skeleton stock, at least the "full size" one is A1 length with 1/2" recoil pad it seems. That might simplify some things, but A1/A2 solid stocks are still cheaper and readily available hrm.... I do not want anything Magpul on this carbine 🤣🤣 thats...quite plebian and boring (says the guy who has a M4gery which was plebian and boring in the pre-Magpul days :rolleyes: )

#24 ·
With the Ace skeleton stock having the lower bar being pinned to the two cast &machined end pieces; if I could find a buffer tube of the correct outside diameter and a length that I like; could cut the lower bar at the front, and then pin again, and have a custom length skeleton stock. Other option is to get the tube length I want, and then the Entry stock, and then a spacer and castle nut and endplate. But that's not as clean as I'd like. A cut-down a1 or A2 stock could in theory work, if I could get a butt plate to fit, or if I could figure the retainer portion at the front.

#26 ·
Oh, it would be stupid easy to have a machine shop where I can turn tubes down and mod away without having to pay other people for the work :D but I'd still have to pay for the tooling and materials..although, it could be a good gig on the side. One option I could see being useful... is a metal or even plastic tube extender spacer that goes between the end of the pistol tube and the end block of the skeleton stock but.... some carbine length pistol tubes don't even have a hole to tap. So that goes back to cutting down an A1/A2 tube. Or finding a pistol extended tube.

Edit..it's similar to how we ended up having midlength gas systems. Someone in a barrel machine shop decided a mid length would solve overgassing problems with 16" barrels and bring the bayonet lug to the right location relative to muzzle..and here we are.

#28 ·
I thought you wanted tube extension, which would look OEM.
I've seen nearly the same size OD spacers, 0.250" thick, with a 0.250" hole. Like fat Life Savers candy.
I save stuff like that for "conversions". I'm sure you could make something like that work as a tube extension to any desired length. But now it seems you have different plans...

#29 ·
Right but; I'm wanting extend it by 1.5-2 inches from Entry length. Cleanest would be cut lower bar, get extended tube, cut down A1 tube or custom tube machined to desired specs... simplest would be a buttplate spacer/extension of the right size and shape; but it might not look as clean and simple a I'd like to.

A 3d printed "chopped" A1 stock that can use a modified carbine buffer tube or modified extended pistol tube might also work pretty good.

#32 ·
I still can’t figure out if you want a look, or a feel, or what exactly.

I have a faux Dissipator upper, mid gassed, looks sort of like a Commando with a carbine lower, or sort of like a Dissipator on an A1 rifle lower.
I’m not concerned about details like the “right“ muzzle brake or flash hider, or the forward assist or it’s shape.

Shoots good either way.

I also have my newest toy, the ultralight A1 stocked, 16” length, carbine gassed weapon, which is balanced really well, and also shoots good.

I dont like the “Entry” stocks’ looks at all, but I’ve never held one, maybe it feels great.

IMHO, I prefer the A1 stocks. I don’t play with armor, I don’t need a shorter LOP, and I almost always open my adjustable carbine stocks to the next to longest setting anyway.
I have a few A2 stocks…good for target shooting with a properly set up scope, and not much else, based on my 5’8” body proportions. Taller guys should and probably do feel different about that.

And I have no idea about the exact LOP on the many and various options out there. I think, in the end, you just try them out and decide if you like them or not.

#33 ·
Both look n feel, and price. I tend to run the m4 stock at the two midpoint positions, which is shorter than A1. But I hate all the way in, so that eliminate entry stocks.

I do like the look of the Midlength 16" FSB uppers moreso than the carbine gassed one which looks a bit... overly long ahead of the FSB .. though it shoots reliably, it is a bit overgassed with the standard carbine buffer. I should see how it shoots with the rifle buffer and skeleton stock first and then see from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.