Should one limit the amount of quote tattoos?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by eauphalant, Jul 18, 2015.

1. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

I like tattoos and all but only have one and it says "do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one" (bruce lee) shaped to form a cross. It's been about 2.5 months since I got it. I recently decided on some others that happen to be quotes, I don't want to quite go all momento or anything but I just tend to like phrased I guess for positivity. Tell me what you think.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

I personally think quotes as tattoos simply show zero originality.

3. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

Still has to be better then everyone getting an the anchor saying that they won't ever sink

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Personally 'quote' tattoos are not my thing.
    On occasion I think about getting another one or expanding on the one I have but I still haven't found anything I'd be willing to have done.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

You asked for opinions. If you didn't really want them, why ask.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I guess you could say:

[​IMG]

7. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

Dude I was just sayin

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Personally, I think tattoos are stupid in general, and quotes are even worse.

The entire idea that tats are original....pppfffttt.:rolleyes:

Real unique...just like everyone else.:rofl:

Now, that said...a little hidden butterfly or a "been there done that" sort of thing like the military might have, I can see that.

But the sleeves, multiple bits all over, Russian Gulag life story BS, etc...I dislike it, a lot.

But it's a free world.:rolleyes:

Oh...I also find the vinyl lettering "In Memory of blah blah" on the car or truck window to be ridiculous. You want to honor the dead? Get your butt down to the cemetery, don't just drive around inflicting your supposed caring or mourning on everyone.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    dirt_19 likes this.
  9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I thought that I was the only one who found that bothersome, too. Mourning for someone is supposed to be a private thing. Displaying it on a car window cheapens it and makes it appear insincere.

10. Personal choices of others I cannot control. I prefer the great philosopher Nike "Just do it".

Translated if you like tattoos, and like quote tattoos, IMO you have the only opinion that matters. Frankly it is none of my business.

WECSOG likes this.
  11. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

What Walking wolf said.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sez who?

Mourning is a PERSONAL thing. That doesn't mean it has to be "private."

And culture, including local, historic, and familial, impacts how one mourns.

For example, 1st century Judea funerals would hire PROFESSIONAL mourners to wail loudly.

I don't get to tell someone else thay they're mourning "wrong."

:)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    WECSOG likes this.
  13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I believe that tats should be personal and mean something special to you. You're going to wear it on your skin forever. Iy better be IMPORTANT to you.

For me, I have only one, representing when I made Expert in Bowie Knife; a very important accomplishment to me.I considered getting one for when I got yudansha on Judo, but Judo is a Japanese art and tats aren't kosher in Japanese culture.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Slightly better than "Peace" or "love" or some other words written in Japanese/Chinese letters? :p

15. mej24

mej24 Member

Don't have any personally, but the best one I've ever seen was on a young man and woman who's first child died at a few hours old. They both had the heart beat from the heart monitor. His was on his chest, hers on her wrist. It represented the last seconds of life of the child.

16. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Well, if they want to cheapen the memories of those they've lost by displaying their names and dates as undignified stickers on car windows, then I suppose that that is their prerogative.

At least the professional wailers practiced their trades at funerals where some emotional display is to be expected. That is more dignified than memorializing people on bumper stickers.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

If it comes off a wall or from a book of flash its all unoriginal. I have many, all my own designs.
    I do have a lower sleeve that is movie characters that obviously aren't my own but its still 100% original in layout and design.

18. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Those are the dumbest most gullible people on the planet. You know the artists are just effing with them. Like my Chinese tat? It says "serenity". When in reality it says "I love dick".

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sure I can. It's a free country.:rolleyes:

If they don't like it they can then express their opinion, as well.

Besides...we aren't a 1st century Jewish society, are we?;)

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    [​IMG]

Vintage TALON, right there! :rofl: Dayum, "T"! Maybe he just didn't want
    YOUR OPINION!!! Ever think of that, Bubba? ;) :rofl: :D