Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can assist me.
I own 2 holsters specifically to conceal my Hi-Point .40 pistol.

However I really want a shoulder holster now.
Now I am a big guy I where a 3x and would like to know if they make shoulder holsters for men of my size and bigger.
If so give me a link or some direction. Thanks
and glad to be a member.... 8)

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Most shoulder holster harness straps are made long, you are expected to cut off the excess once they are fitted to you. The Nylon ones usually are very generous in this respect, the Leather harness ones usually not so much due to materials cost. If your chest is large, make sure you can easily reach under your arm to get to the pistol, big chest and short arms make for a lousy draw motion. If you buy from a local dealer they are usually happy to help you test fit it in the store, that will tell you if you like it and it fits before you buy.

The "classic" vertical type are typically made with a large loop of leather that fits over one shoulder with a long elastic loop over the other to keep it in place, along with a belt loop to secure the bottom. That type may be a tight fit as the leather loop is sorta "form fit" in shape and may not quite fit a larger shoulder/arm as well. Usually no "off side" carriers for mags, etc as the elastic loop is too flimsy to support them.

The more modern horizontal rigs tend to use an "X" type harness of narrower material that loops around both shoulders and crosses at the middle back. These often use an offside mag carrier to more balance the weight and keep the harness from wanting to shift toward the heavy gun side. May be less comfortable as the narrower harness doesn't distribute the weight over as wide an area as the verticals tend to, OTOH the weight is more on both shoulders instead of one.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
i used to carry a 1911 .45 in a galco miami shoulder rig. great for winter when you have a coat, not so great for summer, they print heavily with an overshirt or windbreaker. shoulder holsters are more of an 80s thing to me. i prefer waistband holsters after carrying as much as i have. shoulder rigs have their place, but not with me.

SW

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Baring old cop movies they are not very practical or comfortable, expensive also. If you must get one go to the expense of having it fitted you wont regret that though you may regret the shoulder carry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts