Show us Your Gun Library

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Not2ManyGuns, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

To some, I may have a rather extensive library on various topics; but, the category of guns in my library is probably tied with the categories of archery and motorcycles for being the smallest of all the categories in my collection. Most of my books are generally of a technical nature. I’m not much into reading novels.

Gun Library 646 x 440.JPG

The first gun book I ever purchased is The Golden Guide to GUNS, fourth printing, in 1962. It is the book lying down in the photo. I occasionally gently look through this old book to enjoy the photos of the vintage guns in it. It wasn’t until 1978 that I purchased my second book on guns. I bought it from a co-worker who had an extra copy and was trying to get me interested in buying guns. In the photo, it’s the book on the very left. It is the 1979 Shooter’s Bible. There is one book I forgot to include in the photo which is Effective Handgun Defense, A Comprehensive Guide to Concealed Carry.

I use to enjoy the articles in Shooters Bible and the annual Gun Digest; however, I’ve been disappointed in the last couple years with those volumes. The last time I looked at them, in the book store, I noted that there is now a lack of articles and the listings of guns are outdated. Heck, even in the last Gun Digest I purchased which was the 2011 edition, the only photo showing the Hi-Point carbine was a photo of a carbine with the classic stock. I’ve also noticed that in this edition, there are many popular guns that aren’t even listed. For instance there is no Kel-Tec Sub 2000. There is only one photo of a Colt AR-15, and it has a fixed nonadjustable stock. In the newest editions, there is a total absence of the newer pistol caliber carbines like the JRC, MasterPiece Arms, Kriss Vector, and Thureon Defense.

One of my favorite gun books is the Standard Catalog of FIREARMS, The Collector’s Price & Reference Guide. You can see from the number of book markers sticking out of the top of this book that I refer to it often.

If I had a wish for a gun book not yet ever published, it would be a book in which the publisher has taken all of the gun manufactures latest catalogs and included them in a comprehensive bound edition. The concept would update the comprehensive book of gun catalogs with each new year. It’d be fun saving a book like that to look at, in some future time and marvel at the changes that occurred.

So, who among us has gun libraries; if so, which books are your favorites?

2. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I seldom if ever post a pic of my guns on the internet. Never know who is snooping around. No ones business how many firearms I own. When I do post pics of a firearm, I delete the pic after the thread has run it's course and is no longer active. And I am not paranoid. I know they are after me.

3. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Yea, but books can't kill; well, I guess if someone gets hit, hard enough, over the head with a very heavy book it could.:D

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I honestly don't have any books on guns, I look everything up on the internet.

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I don't have any gun books. Except the magazines I get in the mail and they are ****canned after I read them. My gun library is my guns.

6. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

io just have some reloading manuals and owners manuals of the various guns.