Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another thread TEOTWAWKI Pistols. I thought that a SHTF Pistols might generate some intrest as well. I guess I need to explain the difference. SHTF happens every day to someone. Storms, a fire, maybe your car broke down. But society is still intact and things should get back to normal in a relatively short time. TEOTWAWKI on the other hand means that society has broken down, there is no rule of law and the dead are walking the earth.

SHTF and EDC have a lot in common I think. SHTF is likely to come upon you suddenly, you will likely be working with what you have on you. TEOTWAWKI on the other hand will likely evolve. You will likely be able to gather your needs. Of course there are no absolutes. With that said, here are my top 3 choices.

In 3rd spot is in reality a pair. My EDC is the Ruger Security 9 compact. This will be paired with my trunk gun, the Ruger PC Carbine. 2 additional 10 round magazines on my person and 4 more with the carbine.

In second spot is the Taurus GX4. I carry with an 11 round magazine in the pistol and 2 additional 13 round magazines. This pistol is undergoing renovations, we will see if it might move to the #1 spot. This is really a solid pistol, it will run with any of the micro 9 pistols out there at a very attractive price point.

And in the #1 spot is the S&W Shield Plus. I carry with the 10 round magazine in the pistol and 2 13 round magazines on my body. I have long said that the S&W Shield and the P or C series KAHR are the best handguns for social work. On a scale of 1 to 5, the Shield gets 5 1/2 and the KAHR gets 5 1/2. With the improvements made to the Shield trigger and the increase in magazine capacity, the Shield plus gets 5 3/4!

·
Just a Man
14,264 Posts
I have another thread TEOTWAWKI Pistols. I thought that a SHTF Pistols might generate some intrest as well. I guess I need to explain the difference. SHTF happens every day to someone. Storms, a fire, maybe your car broke down. But society is still intact and things should get back to normal in a relatively short time. TEOTWAWKI on the other hand means that society has broken down, there is no rule of law and the dead are walking the earth.

SHTF and EDC have a lot in common I think. SHTF is likely to come upon you suddenly, you will likely be working with what you have on you. TEOTWAWKI on the other hand will likely evolve. You will likely be able to gather your needs. Of course there are no absolutes. With that said, here are my top 3 choices.

In 3rd spot is in reality a pair. My EDC is the Ruger Security 9 compact. This will be paired with my trunk gun, the Ruger PC Carbine. 2 additional 10 round magazines on my person and 4 more with the carbine.

In second spot is the Taurus GX4. I carry with an 11 round magazine in the pistol and 2 additional 13 round magazines. This pistol is undergoing renovations, we will see if it might move to the #1 spot. This is really a solid pistol, it will run with any of the micro 9 pistols out there at a very attractive price point.

And in the #1 spot is the S&W Shield Plus. I carry with the 10 round magazine in the pistol and 2 13 round magazines on my body. I have long said that the S&W Shield and the P or C series KAHR are the best handguns for social work. On a scale of 1 to 5, the Shield gets 5 1/2 and the KAHR gets 5 1/2. With the improvements made to the Shield trigger and the increase in magazine capacity, the Shield plus gets 5 3/4!
I bought a Ruger PC9 too...Handy little bugger
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts

Careful, you might get a "tinfoil label". ;)

Now that is outta the way, I like this idea! Really good thinking to compare the similarities and divergence of SHTF & TEOTWAWKI. Next we can do a WROL thread? :rotfl:

Actually I always equated the two, but you make a useful distinction, Greg. Very useful. I'm prolly gonna hit the teotwawki thread as well.

As far as EDC/SHTF goes, I'm working on this right now, in fact. Got a pair of the "Top 10" micro-nine entries, a G43x and a Springfield Hellcat. The SA may likely get the most carry time, as it has a Romeo Zero atop the slide. The G43x has no optics cut. I will get that rectified soon. Does Taurus offer a slide cut on that GX4? That would be IDEAL. I've messed with that series of guns, and even the first gen is a fantastic little piece of work! People do love their "TAURII" as @lklawson might phrase it :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
For a handgun for me, one size fits all, G19 with rmr.
Sawed off carbines are for more serious engagements at close quarters such as structures and transport in vehicles.
World without rule of law. Includes longer range weapons with more powerful cartridges such as .30 cal and AP.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
For a handgun for me, one size fits all, G19 with rmr.
Sawed off carbines are for more serious engagements at close quarters such as structures and transport in vehicles.
World without rule of law. Includes longer range weapons with more powerful cartridges such as .30 cal and AP.
You need to see the teotwawki thread for the rest of Dat Stuff. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Careful, you might get a "tinfoil label". ;)

Now that is outta the way, I like this idea! Really good thinking to compare the similarities and divergence of SHTF & TEOTWAWKI. Next we can do a WROL thread? :rotfl:

Actually I always equated the two, but you make a useful distinction, Greg. Very useful. I'm prolly gonna hit the teotwawki thread as well.

As far as EDC/SHTF goes, I'm working on this right now, in fact. Got a pair of the "Top 10" micro-nine entries, a G43x and a Springfield Hellcat. The SA may likely get the most carry time, as it has a Romeo Zero atop the slide. The G43x has no optics cut. I will get that rectified soon. Does Taurus offer a slide cut on that GX4? That would be IDEAL. I've messed with that series of guns, and even the first gen is a fantastic little piece of work! People do love their "TAURII" as @lklawson might phrase it :D
The progression would be SHTF, WROL, and TEOTWAWKI. I normally just kind of pass over WROL, as when / if we get there we are basically in TEOTWAWKI.

The GX4 was introduced without a slide cut. The "2nd Gen" has the cut, and slides are available if you want to upgrade your early model GX4.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
The progression would be SHTF, WROL, and TEOTWAWKI. I normally just kind of pass over WROL, as when / if we get there we are basically in TEOTWAWKI.
Nutnfancy also had WROL as following teotwawki for an unspecified length of time.
He also states that we must be our own "law" during this, and so forth. I'm sure you are well versed. That's a whole 'nother topic!

The GX4 was introduced without a slide cut. The "2nd Gen" has the cut, and slides are available if you want to upgrade your early model GX4.
Great to know! I'm reasonably sure one could buy the 1st gen, and an optics compatible slide for less than a Glock MOS and still be able to add a nice pistol RDS for less...
Never hurts to have a backup. Backup barrel, slide, slide parts...

·
Premium Member
36,643 Posts
Come on Mole….43X isn’t a micro 9 no matter what the Glock fanbois say.

My SHTF hand guns will be either the Taurus TCP that I pocket carry, or the P365 in the Urban Carry holster. It’s an odd holster, but really comfortable, and really secure. Because those are the ones I carry.

Once I get home, it probably becomes the Ruger SR40, or maybe the G20. Maybe even the Remington RP9 at night, it has a light on it.

In my truck, I have a spare 1911, a Taurus PT140, both with 3 mags, and a 16” AR built on a KE Arms polymer rifle lower, with a 2.5x Primary Arms holographic ACSS “scope” and 8 mags on a belt. Those are all secondary SHTF guns, I guess. If I were at work or down in the city, they’d be what I have.

At home….by the time I decided what rifle to use, it may be all over.😂. But really….the old A1 Bushmaster might be the one. She’s like my first love… It just feels right. If it’s dark, I’d have to grab the AR47 with the light and a 1-5x LPVO with a dot in it.

·
Super Moderator
5,745 Posts
By your definition, my shtf pistol would be Taurus G3 full size. 15 rd magazine in it, two 17s for back up. If I have my truck, the 94 Winchester would be primary. If I have her SUV, it would be the G3 period. At home....that's another story. Too fat to run,to battered for HTH, so I'll beat you with my empty JHP

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Come on Mole….43X isn’t a micro 9 no matter what the Glock fanbois say.
Closest thing Glunk has, at the moment, and it will have to do.

As for the rest of your post, ain't it great to have OPTIONS :D

I bought a Ruger PC9 too...Handy little bugger View attachment 75777
Doesn't Ruger also make that to take Glunk Mags as well? Are all the versions Glunk capable with an adapter, or is that just specific models?

Nice "get" Mr. @Bull

·
Just a Man
14,264 Posts
Closest thing Glunk has, at the moment, and it will have to do.

As for the rest of your post, ain't it great to have OPTIONS :D

Doesn't Ruger also make that to take Glunk Mags as well? Are all the versions Glunk capable with an adapter, or is that just specific models?

Nice "get" Mr. @Bull
Yes it does....That was one of the main things I wanted. 2 inserts, one for Glock, one for Ruger mags. Barrel is also QD.
But yeah, it's my Glock 17's partner.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
189 Posts

Teotwawki is normally defined as.
a catastrophic event that destroys the existing institutions and norms of society.
Such a case would be a world without rule of law.

I concede that there could be events such as storms or local temporary disasters when there is no rule of law, but that is just another form of SHTF. After SHTF, the world with law comes back perhaps in minutes in response to a 911 call or after the storm and roads are open again. And you will be responsible for anything that can be pinned on you. That means for me I must justify any use of a gun according to state law.
WROL: Not only is there no law, the old institutions are not coming back and all has to be rebuilt and likely not in a life time.
For SHTF: Basically what I said in the beginning applies as to the weapons that I would employ. A glock type pistol and more powerful weapons such as shotgun or AR pistols (depending on what is handy and also on the final rule on braces) or even a carbine of some sort. Basically I will not be shooting at suspicious or hostile humans at distances that do not involve what is considered legal self defense.

A caveat, every situation is unique in the way one should respond to it.

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not only is there no law, the old institutions are not coming back and all has to be rebuilt
Yep, that’s what I said and you bolted it and underlined it. What part of it do you not understand?

Basically what I said in the beginning applies as to the weapons that I would employ.
The good thing about SHTF is it rarely requires any weapons to be employed.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,912 Posts
You don't know me at all do you. SHTF is exactly why you bring out the thunder booms.

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
You don't know me at all do you. SHTF is exactly why you bring out the thunder booms.
There's a difference between employed and deployed....

One is what you bring, the other is how you use it...

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
All depends on how one defines SHTF, Greg's "SHTF-LITE" maybe not. The popular internet version of SHTF? Extreme Likelihood of violence. :eek: 😱

·
Premium Member
22,017 Posts
Home invasions in Nashville are on the upswing. 4-6 armed future doctors not afraid to shoot. Can link an article about Hollywood later and other upscale towns are under siege. $3 million daylight jewelry store robbery.

Reactions: barnetmill

·
Registered
189 Posts
Home invasions in Nashville are on the upswing. 4-6 armed future doctors not afraid to shoot. Can link an article about Hollywood later and other upscale towns are under siege. $3 million daylight jewelry store robbery.
I have heard very bad things about some of the urbanized areas of Tenn. Some of it is sharply divided on racial lines according to some of it and that is not good if it is true.

·
Premium Member
22,017 Posts
I have heard very bad things about some of the urbanized areas of Tenn. Some of it is sharply divided on racial lines according to some of it and that is not good if it is true.
Crieve Hall, and another area. It rubs elbows with Brentwood. It is considered metro Nashville. You are out before the ink dries on your arrest report. Brentwood is a different country. Probably not a good place to be a thug.

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a difference between employed and deployed....

One is what you bring, the other is how you use it...
That’s true, I was simply making the point that most SHTF situations do not require the use of firearms. As @barnetmill referred to in the following quote.
Basically I will not be shooting at suspicious or hostile humans at distances that do not involve what is considered legal self defense.
I almost agree with this. I would only add "unless in defense of self or family".

Reactions: barnetmill
1 - 20 of 40 Posts