Sierra SBT bullet king projectiles any good?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by mrgreen, Dec 6, 2014.

1. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Looking to use some for several applications and don't want to buy a few hundred without some info

Thanks for any help

Mark

2. What are you using them for, target, hunting or something else.

3. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

.243 target

7.62 54r and .270 hunting

4. Branth

Branth Member

Match king or game king?

I've had excellent results with both for accuracy. My go-to load with .223 is the 65gr Sierra Gameking with H335 - It's extremely accurate. I can't say on terminal performance, since I've never tried them, though.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I used the 130 grain gamekings in my .270 reloads..... Was very happy with them.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Cant comment on the 7.62 X54 but for .243 and 270 you cant beat the Sierra Match Kings. I shoot the 53 gr flat base Match Kings in front of H335 , federal brass and Federal Match Primers in my .223 bench gun with great results. More competations have been won with Sierra than ALL other brands combined. My .308, 30-06 deer rifles use NOTHING else, in the hunting bullets of course. My bullseye .38 Super and .45 ACP sling the Trounment Masters.

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I have had good results with the 180gr SPT Pro-Hunter (.311) for 7.62x54R.
    I have had best results pushing them with Varget.

8. Bull

I live an hour from Sierra......... Used to be able to get their factory seconds considerably cheaper. Don't know if that's the case now..... But besides an occasional complete mashup.... Most of them just needed the lead sprue on the nose cleaned up.... Very few were off on weight either.....

9. SWO1

SWO1 Member

I am 1.5 from them Yes they still operate the Outlet store. i get most of mine form there. Also right next door is Star Line Brass. they sell direct and internet with NO shipping.

10. Bull

I'll have to keep that in mind, moving this spring/summer, and I'm gonna have me a reloading room!

11. Branth

Branth Member

I used them for that, as well. Can't comment much on accuracy, though. I was shooting them out of a Mosin, and while they weren't bad out of a $120 rifle, I know they could have done a lot better out of a modern production bolt gun.

For the record, I was getting groups that were around 2MOA on a good day.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sierra makes good consistent bullets. They'll be more accurate than you.;)

Just get the right ones for your use. Flat base Match Kings are great for 100 yard paper, boat tail Match Kings will reach further, and boat tail Game Kings or Pro Hunters are great for critters out to several hundred yards.

The trick will be picking the weight you want. I'd suggest middle of the road for your calibers. 150 grains for either hunting rifle...though you could drop to 130-140 in the .270 and be fine for deer, and even elk with good shot placement.

80-90 grains on the .243, unless your rifle has some odd twist.