Sierra's new TMK projectiles

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Rachgier, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I just got an e-mail from Sierra pertaining to their NEW 69gr 22 cal (.224) Tipped Match King (TMK) "heavy jacket" projectiles.

Apparently the heavier jackets are designed for penetration, not expansion. Sierra has them available on back order for around $0.30 per whether you buy them in a box of 100 or 500.

It's almost like they saw the ATF thing coming.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Just the projectiles, not ready to rock ammo?

3. Rachgier

Just the boolits...

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Hour drive for me to Sierra

5. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Also they are making 69 gr for (1-10) twist suitable barrels also. The 77 gr are recommended in at least 1-7 twist barrels. and a line of .308s. They are tipped with acetal resin. A lot harder and stiffer then the Hornady red tips.

A lot of ammo makers use Sierra bullets, from Hunting to Match rounds. They are showing almost all bullets in stock and ready to ship. The plant is just up the road from me and I make the trip and stock up at the Outlet Store, by bulk per LB. Also Starline brass who are right next door lists most all straight wall cases back in stock, .38 Spcl, .38 Super, and .45 ACP.

6. Rachgier

I hate you both, Bull and SWO1. You damn near have to be standing there when they hit the shelf to get your hands on any Sierras around here.

7. Bull

........... I need to start reloading again.. Sounds like a fall project for me after we move into my works utility AO

8. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

an editor from Guns & ammo magazine wrote an article "my go to AR " and he uses and recommends this ammo for duty /mission scenarios and using the 70 grain for best penetration but would use 55 grain as last resort . He mentions this ammo is great for penetrating wood , glass and sheetmetal . He also recommends using 70 grain Barnes triple shock TSX but if not available use 62 grain and using Hornaday GMX Barrier Fodder again 70 grain being the best

he also uses and recommends using frangible ammo for CQB

Edit ... yesterdays trip to Wallyworld i found a few boxes of Sierra 77 grain ammo and at a good price

9. SWO1

SWO1 Member

a little less than 90 min., for me, up Mo. 65. 4 lane about half the way. I call the outlet store at 0900 and can be on the road in 5 minutes. Last summer I stocked up on .308 hunting bullets and .223 match. The 52 gr BT and 53 gr Flat base shoot great in my Bench gun. Also just down town is a little LGS that has ALL THE POWDER and Primers I want. Im good for this year. One trip and BULLETS, BRASS, POWDER, and PRIMERS ....... :D

10. SWAGA

Anything interesting out there for a 1-12 barrel?

11. SWO1

SWO1 Member

What caliber ??

12. SWAGA

5 fiddy six ......my little Armalite...

13. Bull

I'm looking forward to shopping there ahain