sighting in a laser ..

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by USMC_VET, Apr 21, 2014.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

what would be a good distance for a laser on our Carbines if being used for home defense and or CQB ?? . Last night i sighted it in to about 10-15 yrds is that good or should i go to a shorter distance of 5-10 yrds ??

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

my laser is set at 10 yards. i feel that is the longest distance i would ever be using it for home defense, and even at closer distances it will be able to hit center mass easily on an intruder. there isnt a spot in my home that is open for longer than that, so sighting it in further is pointless. 5 yards you should be able to shoot from the hip and hit a home invader. so long story, short....mine i set up at 10 yards, and know im well within a kill shot closer range using it.

3. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

thanks !! , yes i'm about the same open area in my place so i think 10 yrds should be good for me

4. desertrider

desertrider Member

Ten yards here too.

Seems to be the "sweet" spot for the average home. If I lived in a small apartment or maybe a manufactured home (trailer) I'd probably sight it in at five to seven yards max.

5. CANON6

CANON6 Member

I went for 20 yds.I have a back yard and that is the longest shot I could take. Doug

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What's the change in POA vs POI at those different ranges?

I'll do some math and let you know, but my guess is 3 inches or so.

Ok...zeroed at 10 yards, you would be off 3/4 inch at 5 yards or 15 yards, using a sight height of 1.5 inches.

In other words, unless you intend to hit eyeballs every shot, it's all good.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

I have mine set to 16 yards which is the length to the curb from my porch in case of drive-by situations. Same with my red dot.

8. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

Is your area drive by prone?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

9. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Since I hear gunshots in my neighborhood from time to time it's safe to assume drive bys.

10. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Do you get nervous when you hear gunfire?
    I hope my neighbors do!

11. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Naw, I don't get nervous I get pissed.