Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Which would you choose? (See post 1)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so thanks to tax refunds, my wife and I paid off a lot of bills that were draining us every month. Aside from paying bills, saving and all that good stuff, I can add to my toy box again. I stopped into a local pawn shop I had never been to before. The guy was real friendly, the dog on the floor didn't even look at me, and I saw a plain white box with black letters in his pistol case. Upon further inspection, it turned out to be a CF380. He has a JCP in the back as well. I now know that I've found a new favorite place to go toy shopping. :D
At first, I was thinking about the JCP, but I've already got a JHP that I love, so I'm thinking it would be pretty much the same if I got the JCP. I'd like to expand my horizons pistol-wise. He has a Glock 22 and a SW40VE in stock, both used. The Sigma has 4 mags, no case. The Block has 2 mags & a hard case. Both are priced at $449 & look like brand new. It may be a little high, I don't know. I've never priced either. But he has the best layaway terms I've ever heard of. I'm sure I could pay it off in the 30 or 60 days the other guys have, but I would like to give a Hi-Point friend some business. The ability to prolong the payoff is good, too, in case something unforeseen comes up.
If any of you are wondering why I only want a .40 caliber, some dimwit at Wal-Mart sold me a box of 9mm and a box of .40 a few years ago when I asked for 2 boxes of 9mm. I need a pistol to shoot that box of ammo. :angel: Maybe I'm the dimwit for not checking the ammo before I payed for it.
So if any of you have experience, good or bad, with either the Sigma or Glock, or both, please chime in and give me your opinion. Even though I've been a shooter for years, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to pistols.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I used to have a matched set of Glock compacts years ago. A 19 & 23. If I had to choose between Glock and Sigma, I would choose the Glock. Then again I may be biased, being that I used to be a certified armorer for the company I used to work for, when I owned the pair.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I had a Glock 22 up until last fall. Never had a problem and really liked it. But a guy I work with wanted it REAL bad. From the proceeds, I bought a used early Sigma SW40C with night sights and a RIA .38 super GI. The S&W
has been as reliable as the Glock, I can not see a pennies worth of difference in them. The Glock has been out a little longer than the S&W. So at this point I would recommend the one that feels more comfortable in your hand,
since they are comparable in price. The Smith fits my hand slightly better than the Glock. Hope this was some help!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a Glock in .40S&W but sold it. Now I have a S&W Sigma SW40VE and love it. It's as reliable, or maybe even more, than my Glock was, cheaper and you can find mags for the 40VE. That was my biggest gripe about the Glock. Nobody here in Montana had mags for it back then. Everybody had mags for the Sigma.

Now be warned, the Sigma has a stout trigger pull to it. It's very similar to the double action trigger on their revolvers. If you can shoot a DA revolver then the Sigma will be no problem. It does smooth out after a few hundred rounds. There was another thread here about a trigger job for the Sigma to smooth it out quicker.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hmmm I am a big Sigma fan. It was the first automatic pistol I ever owned I learned to shoot with one. Now this may contribute to my preference over the Glock. The natural point of the Sigma is better than the Glock, The trigger is about 9lbs and long, but its smooth and even. I like the fact that you can get a stainless set up in the sigma. BUT Glocks are more expensive and hold value better than sigmas, If you didnt cut your teeth on a Sigma you may prefer the glock I would suggest firing both b4 U make your decision. AND I wouldnt pay 450 for a used Sigma I would buy the Glock.
Dont pay Vette prices for Mustang's just cuz you like Fords

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah, what 98pointsix said. Don't pay Vette prices for mustangs just cuz you are a ford fan.

I figure a used Sigma is worth about 200-250 or so. The mags are a bonus though. 15 a piece for the used mags in the bundle? I would say that the sigma with the mags is more of a 325-350 dollar gun.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I added a poll. I'm not sure why I didn't include it to begin with. So far I'm leaning toward the Glock. I already was a little when I started the thread, and you guys (y'all for the southerners out there ;) ) helped me to lean farther that way. I kinda thought the Sigma was high, but I wasn't sure. One thing I like about it is the metal magazines. I know the feed lips are metal on the Glock, but it still kinda bugs me. I guess it really doesn't matter anyway, because they are reliable pistols. One thing I didn't mention is he has a G23 and a Bersa Thunder. The 23 is priced the same as the others, while the .380 is about a hundred less. I like the Bersa,but I'd still have to get a .40 for that box of shells from Wal-Mart. :D I held the G23 for about 10 seconds & that was more than enough. I have enough trouble with the small grip of the C9, the last thing I need is an even shorter grip with more firepower to boot. Thanks for all the input, keep it coming! SW, I'm a bit perplexed by your post, could you elaborate, please?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I say out of the two go with the Glock because I don’t like the trigger on the Sigma. But you should give the Springfield XD a look too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd like to have more options, but I'm only looking at one shop this go-round. There's a gunshow in Rice Lake this weekend that he's going to, so my options might change. He could sell the Glock, the S&W, or both. He might come back with an XD. There's just no way to know. I'm hoping to make my decision & put one on layaway before he leaves, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yeah, what 98pointsix said. Don't pay Vette prices for mustangs just cuz you are a ford fan.
And a Z28 is cheaper and will both both any day of the week.

The Bersa, for the money is one HELL of a deal. But .380 ammo??? You will be paying more to feed it than you will your 1911.

Im gonna cast my vote for an HK USP, you can find a used one for about that much. Even cheaper. They have a better trigger than both, more accurate, more reliable, and they are the sexiest guns on the planet.

·
Registered
799 Posts
IMHO the glock is a better weapon due to lack of external safeties and ergonomics. YMMV

SW
No external safety's on the Sigma, The 2 pistols are so close to each other it ended up costing Smith over 2 million in the lawsuit, But Glock is the standard and there is a reason for that.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had the first generation Sigma in 9mm and it was a nice gun. If there were still like that I would say go with the Glock. But having shot the newest generation in comparison to the glock I would say go with the Sigma. Here in town Vance's has the sigma for $380 ish, they've been on sale for $350 and it comes with 2 mags. The Glocks all start at $500 plus. I just feel in this situation you'll be paying for the name and not performance.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Since they are both used and the same price though I would go with the Glock. That's too much for a used Sigma.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Agreed maybe try another shop. I just bought my dad a Cobra Patriot .45 at the last show that was in town. It's another American made pistol like the HP's with the sweet warranty as well. It was only $250 NIB too so the price was right. It shoots great though as well. I know that was a random thought but just in case.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go to a different shop then, lol.
Agreed maybe try another shop.
Guys, we're missing the point here:
I stopped into a local pawn shop I had never been to before. The guy was real friendly..........
[edited to simply say that he is a stocking HP dealer, unlike other local shops.]
I now know that I've found a new favorite place to go toy shopping. :D .............
He has a Glock 22 and a SW40VE in stock, both used..............
.......he has the best layaway terms I've ever heard of. I'm sure I could pay it off in the 30 or 60 days the other guys have, but I would like to give a Hi-Point friend some business............
This really isn't that hard at all........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts