Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts
Speer says the half jackets can separate and stick in the bore and cause an obstruction. They warn not to use lower velocity loads. I have probably shot a short ton of these bullets, most in .308 or .357. My 30 carbine lived on them. Never personally had a problem with them.

I use Hornady gas checks exclusively now. They crimp on and you can not pull them off. When recovering lead from our berm, the checks are still attached. Lyman gas checks swage on. You can pull them off. As will the aluminum checks that I have a die for to punch them out of coke cans. I load some rifle rounds whose base sticks below the neck of the case. Don't want gas checks falling off in the case, it's a worrysome thing. I have actually put a dab of glue in the check before I run the bullet through he Lubrasizer.

If you ever get the sweepings from a range floor, you will be surprised at the number of gas checks you find in them.
Yes. As mentioned before, shooting a too-light load with jacketed bullets can stick a jacket in the bore. These half jackets are even more likely to do that. They work well though, as long as you don't go too light on the powder charge.
I had forgotten about the .308 half jacket Plinkers. Hornady makes something similar too; in fact I think I have some around here somewhere.
Gas checks falling off in the case worries me too. That could cause a big problem. I keep the check in the neck of the case as much as possible, but with same cartridges it's not possible. An example would be the Karabiner and Maximum bullets in 8x57.

My dad was notorious for loading a little on the hot side, mebbe this was a contributing factor...
My dad was the opposite. He was incredibly precise about his reloads. He was really into being super safe....lots of lectures stemmed from that concept of safe safe safe

Reactions: lklawson
Well, I like to be precise about my reloads, but I tend to reload on the hot side as well.

Reactions: Pistolkitty
I load both. My plinking loads, mostly 9mm and 5.56 are mid range loads. Just enough to cycle the actions. They are loaded by volume.

My hunting loads are as close to max as I can safely get and still have good accuracy. They are loaded by weight.

Target loads are also loaded by weight but I find that somewhat short of max velocity usually gives me the best accuracy.

Reactions: lklawson
This is why I like where I live in Colorado. I can step out on the back porch and let fly with whatever. If the cops show up it's just the neighbor's son wandering over to see what I'm shooting. Same cop who's jealous I've got 40 round mags. Same neighbor that offers to shoot any skunk he sees near my garage when I'm not home to keep it away from my chickens.
That's truly priceless, one of the few things I miss from growing up in MI. I could step out on the back deck and just let them fly, didn't matter what. Hell my buddies and I mounted a couple Champion flight masters to the railing and would shoot clay birds over the pond damm near every weekend, the good 'ol days.

That's truly priceless, one of the few things I miss from growing up in MI. I could step out on the back deck and just let them fly, didn't matter what. Hell my buddies and I mounted a couple Champion flight masters to the railing and would shot clay birds over the pond damm near every weekend, the good 'ol days.
About the only thing I have to watch for is if the neighbor has cows pastured in the fields behind my house. I don't generally keep enough cash on hand to pay a rancher whatever price he decides is fair for a whole cow.

Reactions: Jhow79
PK, ever think about making the ear buds with the brass. I keep telling myself I'll try a couple sets but never do. I think a nice set of nickel .38 ear buds would look slick.

Reactions: Pistolkitty
About the only thing I have to watch for is if the neighbor has cows pastured in the fields behind my house. I don't generally keep enough cash on hand to pay a rancher whatever price he decides is fair for a whole cow.
Why I like the farm. Even shooting across the field, there is enough woods surrounding that it's doubtful a bullet would even leave the property. . If I did happen to hit a cow it was trespassing, or mine.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.