Simple Reliability Test After Repairs

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by HiPointArmorer, Nov 5, 2014.

1. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I wanted to start a thread about how to run easy reliability and accuracy test on my Model "C" Compensated. The pistol is pretty much 60% new at this point, with more parts on the way, its cool that I can do all the replacements by myself rather than sending the gun to Hi Point.
    I'm happy to say that the pistol is running well, I was not disappointing at the range.
    1. What I did was put two rounds in each of my three magazines
    2. If the pistol is able to perform "LRHO" and fire with-out malfunction after six of those two round magazines your good, and only wasted twelve bullets in the process.
    3. Check for accuracy in the process: Make site adjustments as needed in between magazine changes.
    4. Try different shooting postures and find out what works best for you as far as hand placement.

My Targets where about 10-15 yards out and I was using ZQ1 123 grain NATO cartridges from Turkey.

End Result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    And you wonder why convenience store clerks and taxi drivers are nervous.

BTW that's a few more than 6 rounds.

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Sorry, but I can't agree with your method of testing. As for my magazines, if I have a fail to feed, it's usually the first rounds from a full magazine, not the last two rounds.

Depending on the level of reliability your are expecting, you have to do the drill to satisfy the tolerence level of failure you are comfortable with. And that means feeding ammo through the pistol. Clean pistol? Dirty pistol? Different ammo? Opposite hand?

There is no shortcut.

I'm going through this right now with my C9. I've been having feeding problems, so I've adjusted the mags and polisheed the feed ramp. For the first 4-5 mags, everything seemed just fine. But it's starting to hang up again after about 100 rounds. I'm a DIYer, so it will come apart and be re-worked again. The point is it took about 100 rounds before I determined that the fix wasn't cutting it. A dozen rounds would not have uncovered the reliability issue.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly. Shooting a few rounds out of a few mags isn't really testing reliability.

Some would argue it takes 500 rounds (or more) to make ANY determination on reliability.

I don't test reliability after work, or cleaning. I test function. The reliability gets tested over the next year or two.;)

5. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I ran probably four full ten round magazines at the beginning. I had a few ftf's with the full ten rounders, but everything else ran smoothly. Makes me think there's to much pressure from the new mag springs.

6. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I may be reading too much into your statement, but it seems that a few ftf's is kinda OK for you. Nothing wrong with that, but from my point of view a few ftf's isn't OK. It's that level of acceptance thing before we declare something reliable. I looking to get my C9 to a point that it will feed, fire and eject 100's of rounds, with almost any ammo, without a hitch. Neither one of us is right or wrong here.

My focus right now is on the relationship between the feed ramp and the magazine at the time the round transitions from one to the other. When the round is striped off of the magazine, the bullet strikes the feed ramp at what I consider a point too low and/or too steep of an angle. Not nosedive, it just binds on the feed ramp. If the tangs on the magazine bind the round and keep it from rotating upward, then the round nosedives deeper into the feed ramp. So, I'm going to re-work the feed ramp to reduce the angle and re-check the mag tangs.

The idea that "you just need to find the right ammo to use with your C9" is not an option for me. :)

7. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Im not saying its ok, just sayin I know what areas to work on. The problem can be fixed, which is a good thing. FTF's are not ok I agrree with you on that one.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think you mean "lips" when you say tangs?

And yes, that description is TOTALLY a problem where "tweaking the lips" is the solution, and it could be the front lips, or the front of the rear.
    Makes NO sense to be grinding on the gun to change the feed ramp.

Why not? There's got to be 150 different types of ammo out there...I have at least 10 different types, and I wasn't even trying.:p

Not that I think changing the ammo to find a reliable one is the solution, I'd rather tweak mags until they ALL work, and then I can simply reject the ones that aren't accurate enough.

9. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I was just thinking that for breaking in purposes that a few hundred rounds is the norm. We do the necessary tweaks as described. After that we make the determination that it is/isn't reliable.

What then? Is it adequate for self-defense: meaning will it still function well with the first 1-3 round from any magazine? or Does it not?

If it is the last rounds of a fully-loaded magazine that occasionally failure to feed is this acceptable for the same self-defense situation, given that most situations only require a few rounds fired?

Just thinking out loud.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

In my HP's, after tweaking the mags to feed right, I have never had a failure with any ammo, at any point in the magazine, regardless of how they are loaded.

So yeah, mine are reliable.:p

11. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Any idea how many rounds MOM shoots out of the gun after a rebuild?