Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single cab pickup truck and I will be traveling to Florida. Where should I store my 9MM HP?

Thanks in advance...

SP

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Behind the carpet where it tucks up underneath the dash in the footwell, or securing it underneath the truck is probably your best bet. Depending on the age and setup of the truck, you could probably secure it under the dash itself where a thief won't really look.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Most of the info provided above will get you into trouble..... Hobbles is the exception!

Put them in a locked case that is cable locked to the seat frame and stow the case behind the seat. As long as the cable is short enough that you cannot get the case up where you could unlock it while driving. Alternatively if you have a locking toolbox mounted in the bed you could store it there! Rule of thumb is (you cannot get to it without stopping and getting out! If you have a CPL,CCW or something like that then the rules are diff... unless you go through a state that does not recognize your licence!

Glove box is only allowed in certain states. In others this form of carry will get you arrested... Such as MI.

If I am reading your post right you are not interested in keeping people from finding it as much as transporting it legally!

Also note the gun must be unloaded. In most states a clear chamber and the mags out of the gun but still loaded is ok and they can be in the same case. But you should check the laws in each state you will be traveling through to see if they have diff rules on this!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I like those lockbox options!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
FWIW, Yrs ago, I had the same question while coming home from the service. Calif. to Wisc. I had a small International Scout, no locking glovebox and I "could" reach the gun and ammo anywhere from the drivers seat. I called the Calif. Hwy Patrol. They told me leave it unloaded, and cased, did not have to be locked, OR uncased, unloaded and in plain view. I know rules change over the years, but honestly that is what they told me. I laid it right up in my dash uncased & unloaded. Got stopped for speeding in Montana and the LEO walked up, saw the gun and asked if it was unloaded. I said yes, got my ticket and was on my way...............

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Your best bet is to call the highway patrol for each state you are traveling in. Ask for a patrolman at any station. tell them you are on a peaceable journey through their state, and ask them how they would like you to transport the weapon. Does it have to be locked?? Ammo separate. since you do not Have a trunk, ask them how many layers of security you need. For example a cable lock, and a locked pistol box. Also ask for the patrolmans name badge number, and a contact number in case you get stopped by barney. that way the two officers can work it out. the patrolman should be the final authority in the applications of state laws. remember it is you responsibility to know the laws of the state you are traveling through. A great source of info for CCW laws can be found at the states attorney generals website.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a single cab pickup truck and I will be traveling to Florida. Where should I store my 9MM HP?

Thanks in advance...

SP
According to FL law as I leaned it back in the '90's, a firearm in your glove compartment is considered concealed. You'd need a permit. I'm not sure what Officer Friendly would do if you had it in a Locked Box in your cab.

TCA

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Several things

1. do not cite law you "learned back in the 90's" as it is invariably wrong.

2. Do not call the police looking for legal advise! Even with a badge number he could say you misunderstood him and you go to jail!

3. Do start here http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf and read the info at the links as well!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You don't even need a CCW to carry a loaded gun in your car in Florida as long as it is "securely encased."

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Wow gotta love New Mexico, it's an open carry state and your car is an extension of your house you can carry cocked and locked all you want here, you can have it sitting on your dash ready to go.

·
Registered
238 Posts
washington state also good . you can have it in your car open on seat as long as its unloaded. you can have the mags in your pockets. only time you can carry or have a loaded gun in the car is if you have a cpl.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts