Sinkhole

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mr_flintstone, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I've been dying to go out and shoot the last three days. Sunny and 70 degrees. The only problem is I've had to fix a small sinkhole that formed in my driveway during the last rainstorm/flood about a week ago. It started small and eventually got about the size of my dining room table and about two feet deep.

I spent all day Saturday carrying sand rock off the hill and filling in the hole (just over two tons from what I can figure). Sunday was cool, and I had to let everything dry. Monday I had to re-level everything because every time I'd drive over it, it would push up mud. Today after work I had to scrape all the potholes out of my driveway and smooth the rock pile with my old tractor (a 1958 Ford Workmaster). It's old like me, but still works perfect. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow (only in the 50s), but I think it'll still be warm enough to go out and have a little fun shooting.

2. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Sounds to me like it's driveway replacement time :(

3. mr_flintstone

It's a 600 ft long gravel driveway. I usually put 10-20 ton of gravel on it every summer. I was hoping to make it to dryer weather before re-graveling. It doesn't sink in the ground that way.

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I know how that works. I have a 500 ft drive at my little ranch in southern Colorado. Rains wash big cracks in it yearly and I have to use a pull behind grader to smooth it out again. It's become a seasonal task any more :( Good luck with it.

5. SWO1

SWO1 Member

I have a load of gravel to spread on my drive also. quarter mile out to the black top. Your tractor is a little older than mine, a 61 Ford 801, 5 speed. I just finished rebuilding the Carb, distributor and replacing muffler, cleaned out the oil bath air filter and a section of tail pipe. They dont make em like that any more. Runs like a watch and is 47 HP. Manual steering and Manual brakes, and will flat dab wear you out after 6-8 hours. Parts are still availiable. Must be one or two in every field in these parts ...... and they all are still runnin ....... :D

6. mr_flintstone

I had to put new points, condenser, and a coil on mine. Just a few parts here and there keeps her going. I know what you mean about wearing you out. I baled 800 square bales of hay with it last fall, and I was tired for a week

7. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Dont use mine for balin. I rake with it and cut. Have a 500 for balin. It hauls the 800 lb round bales ok. I brush hog about 47 acres twice a year, gettin time for the spring cuttin, end of this month or after spring turkey season. I wish I had a good ole square baler. I like to build deer and turkey blinds with the square bales. Not to many years ago you could pick up a good square for under $300, now everybody wants near 1K or better around here.

8. mr_flintstone

A couple years ago I got a deal on a New Holland 268 baler in perfect condition, an IH 1300 sickle bar cutter, Vicon wheel rake, and Walton 2 basket Tedder for $2000. They were perfect for my tractor, so I couldn't pass it up