Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I resize .308 brass to make.243? I know that it works with 7mm-08, but not sure if going to 243 is a bridge too far

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts
Dag gum it....Rach is no longer here? As in, on the forum?

As for the ammo....yep. But....you may want to size it in two steps to avoid one issue.
The article below talks about taking out the decapper rod, and sizing ONLY the external, then putting the rod back in and final sizing to get a finished case. Of course trimming is a good idea.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/how-to-make-243-from-308-successfully/99538

Reactions: histed

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Yes. You might want to do it in steps, but yes.

Reactions: histed

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dag gum it....Rach is no longer here? As in, on the forum?

As for the ammo....yep. But....you may want to size it in two steps to avoid one issue.
The article below talks about taking out the decapper rod, and sizing ONLY the external, then putting the rod back in and final sizing to get a finished case. Of course trimming is a good idea.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/how-to-make-243-from-308-successfully/99538
Thank you - I read this and it looks more complicated than it is. If I had a 6.5 or 7mm die, I'd feel comfortable doing it in 2 steps, but I'm gonna try some of teh LC brass I have. Hate to think of taking all those crimps out, but....
Yes. You might want to do it in steps, but yes.
Appreciate this, greg. When Rach, Ajole and you agree on something, I feel pretty confident.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try annealing it first. Thats what I had to do when I resized some 243 down to 22-250.
Didn't think of that, but it's a good idea

Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
28,734 Posts
Try annealing it first. Thats what I had to do when I resized some 243 down to 22-250.
Annealing kinda intimates me. It looks like it's really easy to ruin the brass. Am I wrong?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Annealing kinda intimates me. It looks like it's really easy to ruin the brass. Am I wrong?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
No, you're not. I don't like doing it because I don't have the right set up. More experienced guys, like greg, would probably have an easier time. I've ruined more than I've saved doing it hillbilly style

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I use the 1 pound propane and drill/driver and socket. Heat the brass until the brass starts to turn colors and drop it in a pan of water.
You can do a search for it and find a lot of hits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts