SKS burst fire

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by laubert75, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. laubert75

    laubert75 Guest

    My dad along time ago, bought a hellfire system for our ruger10/22, which made it burst like 4 rounds with every pull, and it was legal. does anyone make anything like that for SKS?
  2. neothespian

    neothespian Member

    0've stumped the legal nut here. Going to have to research such a device to see if it is still legal, and for which states and provinces that it is legal for. Just because it was legal once doesn't mean that the statute hasn't changed in a year or even a month, and if the state is still supports that law.

  3. neothespian

    neothespian Member

    Ok, found some info on the device. First off, there WAS a factory variant of the SKS made in China called a type 81, which was the pattern for the type 84 "Heavy" rifle. The 81 is an upgraded Type 68 with a three-round burst capability, some of which (Type 81-1) had a folding stock. There weren't too many of these produced after the late 70's, after the Vietnam war ended since there wasn't much of a market for such a wepaon.

    By current US arms standards set down by the BATF, a semi-automatic firearm equipped with a 3 round "burst fire" setting is illegal without a BATF class III exemption. Any modification to make an SKS into a burst mode weapon will probably land you either in Federal prison if a rangemaster or nosy citizen catches you, or you'll land in hospital considering that an SKS out of tolerance is VERY prone to "slam fire", a syndrome where the heat and action of a weapon ends up cycling and firing a round prematurely without the depression of a trigger. If this occurs there is NO way to "Shut off" the weapon until it suffers a mechanical failure or runs out of ammo. Usually the firearm will fail in this senario and will potentially explode (I've seen a critical slam fire failure happen first hand and the subject was killed, and that was only a .22).

    In short....don't try it. The SKS is not made for it. You CAN get a Class III exemption (there are folks on this board including myself who can walk you through the process if you are so interested), but that takes $200 for the initial licence/stamp, various legal and filing fees and up to 6 months. But, if you have a particular build in mind then the time and money could well be worth it.
  4. Sniper 995

    Sniper 995 Guest

  5. If a string is illegal, this thing surely will be. If it isn't already.
  6. laubert75

    laubert75 Guest

    ah mna, i thought you could aim and still burst fire, ah well, could thing i got some fast fingers! hey, i bet that'll make a good poro star name, "Fast Fingers McKilintok"
  7. Sniper 995

    Sniper 995 Guest

    Nope perfectly legal
  8. griff30

    griff30 Member

    The trigger actuator is legal the "shoe string mod" is illegal, actually the show string is the full auto part. There was a smart arse that registered a shoestring mod for a mini14 back when you could make one full auto. Here is a pic: [​IMG] Notice the small black tab in front of the trigger guard? Thats the tax stamp number...Wise guy.

    It's rather self explanatory, it works for the any semi-auto even the SKS or HP 995. Place finger in ring, remove safety, pull back to cause full auto fire. let go to stop. In a pistol gripped SKS, the thumb does it.
    "This post for educational purposes only, do not attempt this unless you like taking showers with men every night."
  9. or take the poor mans way out. Rubber band and light pressure on the shoulder. ratatatatat. hurrrayyyy bump fire!
  10. Dreamthief

    Dreamthief Senior Member Member

    yep, the hell fire system is legal as the trigger is cycled for every round fired; thus it is not a selective fire, automatic firearm.
  11. BTW Neo, there is NO way for any civilian unless they are a class 3 DEALER to create any new machine guns ever. The 86 ban on the creation of new NFA full auto guns sealed that possibility.

    That is why full auto guns were such a great investment. You could have bought a new cheap peice of crap Mac 10 in the early 80s for 200-300 dollars, got the NFA tax stamp for it, made it full auto and then put it away until today and sold it for 3-5 thousand dollars.

    Supply and demand. There is a finite amount of legally transferable full autos but a growing demand.

    however if you are a class 3 dealer, you can make what are called Post 86 Samples which are full auto guns built and only owned by the dealer for showing to police/military. The dealer can hold onto those but they could never be sold to a civilian ever.

    So you can still buy and sell pre-existing full autos that were stamped before 86 but you can't make any new full autos.

    Sucks but such is life.
  12. neothespian

    neothespian Member

    I UNDERSTAND that...I said restore, not build a new one. Been getting enough emails about this....I think I type with too thick of an accent at times or something...
  13. squeak_D

    squeak_D Guest

    Heck yeah! just a simple rubberband and bump fire :) As stated by another member you can use your shoulder. I've bumped a few semi's and using the rubber band and shoulder gives you good control over the weapon, and it's totally legal. You're not modifying anything on the weapon.

    It works quite well. The rubberband in conjunction with your shoulder, and controlled pressure on the grip will allow the weapon to cycle fully auto. It's pretty neat to do. You'll waste a crap load of ammo in no time though. I see people bump .22's all the time since it's cheaper.
  14. I didn't mean to come across negativly to you btw. I was just trying to avoid people getting their hopes up. I think I was a tad confused about the word "restore". If the gun has had the stamp since before 86, then yes, you would be good to go, but if you are talking about restoring a gun that was full auto at one time, then demilled or deactivated and you wanted to rebuild (restore?) the receiver to make it full auto, that can't be legally done unless the gun was orginally stamped.

    I was just confused by your remark about that you can get an exemption. All it boils down to is you can't get new manufacture stamps/exemptions but you can transfer an existing stamp.
  15. I like the Summery of "Do Not Buy This Item..." then underneath that on where to buy they say "Tell them sent you!"