Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my SKS converted to a detach mag a long time ago, but when I tried to buy some more mags, I could not get them to fit(to tight). Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Pics would help, what do you mean by converted? Do you mean converted to take AK mags or you just removed the original 10 round fixed mag and put in one of the aftermarket junk ones. Tapco 20 rounders are the best aftermarket mag made, but you have to also comply with 922r Federal Regulations if you are going with aftermarket mags. These regs are in regard to US made compliance parts.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would assume you mean the fixed mag was taken out, and aftermarket removable mags used in its place. The only removable mags I have found that don't suck are the Tapco ones. The rest were junk. The best are my home made mags from all the guys selling their original fixed mags because they are "cool"

removable, reliable, and they don't look like my SKS was molested by an AK

with the "wings" trimmed off the bolt (like the SKS-D or M) you can insert and remove these with the bolt closed.

to fix your issue, try the modded stock mags, or the Tapco ones... or bend up the crappy imports until they fit properly.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
is it tight in the stock? if so I used my dremel and a carbide burr to slightly enlarge the mag well in the stock and now my tapco mags will drop free and are easy to insert! Also I performed the bolt mod removing the lower wings on the bolt so that I can insert the mags with the bolt closed!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Put the factory fixed mag back in, and you will never have a problem with your SKS, unless its a Yugo....

If you dont have it, I have one I will give you.

Stipper clips are FAR superior to detachable mags when it comes to an SKS.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Stripper clips are FAR superior to detachable mags when it comes to an SKS.
+100

For what you will pay for one tapco 20 round removable magazine, you can get about 60 stripper clips. 20 rounds or 600 rounds... hmmmmm :thinking:

·
Registered
88 Posts
New sks researcher, trying to learn the basics:

Why is the stripper better? It seems to be kind of a pain in the ass from a layman's pov.

I would very much appreciate any information on sks whatsoever, I am considering buying an sks shortly and have been considering converting it to detachable mag, "Why, it's like a cheap AK!".

·
Registered
127 Posts
I, personally, can charge a 10 round sks mag with a stripper clip quite a bit faster than I can rock&lock a mag into an AK. Think about it spatially too. 30 clipped rounds only takes a fraction more space than 30 naked rounds. But 30 rounds in a detachable magazine? Especially one of the duck bill mags? depending on your size and the type of jeans you prefer, you ought to be able to fit 30-50 stripper clipped rounds in each front pocket. If you wear cargo pants, you can seriously load yourself down.

the bolt holds back, the stripper fits into the guide, you press down with the thumb, remove the clip, pull the bolt back and let her fly... all faster than can be read. It's actually very very convenient once you're accustomed.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I, personally, can charge a 10 round sks mag with a stripper clip quite a bit faster than I can rock&lock a mag into an AK. Think about it spatially too. 30 clipped rounds only takes a fraction more space than 30 naked rounds. But 30 rounds in a detachable magazine? Especially one of the duck bill mags? depending on your size and the type of jeans you prefer, you ought to be able to fit 30-50 stripper clipped rounds in each front pocket. If you wear cargo pants, you can seriously load yourself down.

the bolt holds back, the stripper fits into the guide, you press down with the thumb, remove the clip, pull the bolt back and let her fly... all faster than can be read. It's actually very very convenient once you're accustomed.
+1

I am considering buying an sks shortly and have been considering converting it to detachable mag,
Converting a standard SKS to AK Mag-fed is not simple, easy or cheap, requires welding and extensive modification to the stock. Better off trying to find an "M" or "D" model with this conversion already done at the factory.

"Why, it's like a cheap AK!".
Actually, no it isn't. It is a very different mechanism. An SKS will never be an AK no matter how much tacticool crap is hung on it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem I have had is getting the mag stuck in the stock, to tight. I don't know if it's AK or what, I paid a smith to do it. It does have a duckbill tho.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The problem I have had is getting the mag stuck in the stock, to tight. I don't know if it's AK or what, I paid a smith to do it. It does have a duckbill tho.
all the smith did was drop the trigger group and pull the fixed mag. He half field stripped your gun, and charged you for it.

step by step to fix the issue

1. go back to the smith and punch him for trying to rip you off

2. open up the sides of the wooden stock a little bit with the dremel. The stock is too tight, and is pinching the top portion of the mag, and will cause the rounds to not feed properly.

or

get an aftermarket stock. the opening on the underside is a bit larger to fit the slightly wider aftermarket mags.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks,

The smith left town, probably in fear of me catching him :D

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Sounds like you also need some additional compliance parts (i.e. 922r) to be legal too. And I second the gunsmith ripping you off, it takes all of 30 seconds to remove the trigger group and fixed mag.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I agree with Zer0Daze. I would invest in an aftermarket stock, and preserve the wood stock in its original form. When I bought my norinco, it came in an ATI monte carlo stock, which I like a lot. I know Krippp and others on here have the Tapco stocks and like them. Any of these aftermarket rigs have larger mag wells in order to make using removable mags easier.

Did the smith give you back the original magazine? If so, hang on to it, because after the novelty of a twenty round magazine wears off, you may well be switching back. :)

I really hope the smith didn't charge you a lot for that "modification." It takes a few seconds to pop out the trigger group and remove the magazine. To charge someone for that is unconscionable, IMHO.

LOL... Panoz77 was quicker on the draw!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'd agree from my research it's not worth modifying the stock stock. Get a Tapco stock if you want to go that route, and they offer all the 922r compliance parts you'll need.

As has been noted elsewhere on this forum, GREAT info on SKS rifles here:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Including a spreadsheet for determining 922r compliance here:
http://www.sksboards.com/special_files/922-r_Compliance_Worksheet.zip

I have 2 Yugos and plan to mod one with a TAPCO stock and leave the other one orginal. One difference between an AK and SKS - stamped versus milled receiver...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I paid the smith 20$ for the mag and 20$ to make it work. That was in 1995 tho

·
Registered
799 Posts
First off Im a SKS purist. It is one of my favorite rifle BECAUSE it doesnt have a detachable mag. That said if you want a detachable mag its your rifle getcha one but go ahead and drop the cash for Tapcos, They are the gold standard for detachable SKS mags, and they arent too pricey. SKS survivot board listed above is a great plave to learn about your rifle.
But in my opinion all she needs is a bayo and innertube grip and shes good to go

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
in order to get the Tapco mag to fit you only have to take off about 1/32 of wood on each side of the mag well.... It does not affect the fit of the 10 round factory mag.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.