Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really regret selling my SKS and now that ammo seems to be getting cheaper, I think I want a 7.63 x39 rifle again. Question is which one?
SKS are going for as cheap as $250 and I even found one local for $200! I can get the saiga for around 350. Which is more accurate out of the box? Ive heard some good things about the Saiga for accuracy. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dont own one, but from everything I have looked into as far as cheap rifles go (WASR AK's, SKS's, and things like that) I think the Saiga is probably the better one to go with even for the extra $100. Just overall better. Plus you can make them look very cool (although I have seen some hot SKS's).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Good question-- but I would get the Saiga-- it seems lighter and shorter--- but for a $100 or so difference, it would be hard to turn down a good SKS

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If you are starting from scratch get the Saiga in a caliber that takes to reloading well, reloading is easy and CHEAP. Yes x39 can be reloaded but the gains are better on 223 or 308, both shoot better. Even with the falling ammo prices x39 isnt near what it once was. If you still have ammo stores of x39 get the Saiga anyway and convert it, it will shoot better than the SKS unless you get a very good one with the chrome barrel which have gotten rare.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yeah of course but Im not clear on why any one would do so unless they found light dremel work intimidating.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yeah but I cant just tell someone to go buy an AK since the quality varies so much, some are lucky to shoot 6MOA. At least on Saiga he gets consistently high quality and a warranty in the US. While needing it is rare, at least its there.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
3MOA on the x39 is about right with steel ammo. Brass is better but unless you reload it isnt worth it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ive got a saiga in .223...ive been very happy with mine....was very accurate right out of the box.. think i paid about 400 for mine after shipping and ffl fee about 6 months ago

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Those are pretty accurate shooters, I dislike the 223 round itself greatly but its just my personal bias for 308.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
223s are about 800, 12ga runs 1000 and 308s run 600-800

SW
350.00 on the 223 all day long, 308 575-600.00, 12g about 600-700.00

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
dude, way cheap.

SW
Yeah they are price isnt going to drop a lot further except on the 12g. Gunbroker is pretty consistent because so many are involved, other outlets can have stock problems.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have seen Chineese and Russian SKS's that were amazingly accurate. I really like both rifles alot but if your looking for a bargain grab a SKS. I hate unconverted Saiga's and by the time you get one converted they are going to run about $600.00 bucks if you do the conversion yourself and scrimp on the furniture. I am planning on dropping about $800.00 bucks on a saiga AK conversion next year, and Im not going all out. The SKS is what it is and never makes you feel like it should be more. If you want to eventually convert the Saiga into a full blown AK it would prolly be worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
I have seen Chineese and Russian SKS's that were amazingly accurate. I really like both rifles alot but if your looking for a bargain grab a SKS. I hate unconverted Saiga's and by the time you get one converted they are going to run about $600.00 bucks if you do the conversion yourself and scrimp on the furniture. I am planning on dropping about $800.00 bucks on a saiga AK conversion next year, and Im not going all out. The SKS is what it is and never makes you feel like it should be more. If you want to eventually convert the Saiga into a full blown AK it would prolly be worth the investment.
I guess I am at a loss at what needs converted on the Saiga's?? You can buy and shoot them as they are?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts