SKS question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by MaryB, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

My Tapco SKS has decided to act up(big surprise there... NOT). When I fire it the bolt is sticking to the rear. Pop the mag out and no change. I have to whack the bolt knob pretty hard to get it to move again.

I haven't torn it down yet so there could be a rust issue, just found that today.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Sounds like you've just got gunk building up in it. A good strip and clean, some fresh mild lubing and it'll be good to go.

3. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

You don't happen to have a recoil buffer in it. Had one in Chinese, got at a gun show, a piece got under the bolt and carrier and jammed everything up.

4. Kiln

Kiln Member

Check for grime in the mechanism that locks the bolt open. It isn't the Tapco mag's fault that the bolt is locking open if it still locks open when the mag is removed. I'm with Talon, probably just dirty.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Yep, I'd say that that would probably be the best place to start. While you're at it, you should probably make sure to clean out the firing pin channel. If the internals are as cruddy as you've described, there is a chance that the firing pin could end up not moving freely, resulting in a slam fire.

6. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

You already said that there was rust so, you probably have rust/grease/dirt/fouling built up SOMEWHERE. Look for a burr along the bolt carrier (thats the upper part of the two piece bolt) and the reciever. I'd put JUST the bolt carrier in the action and see if it sticks when you manually cycle the bolt and look to see where and why.

Then, if you cant figure it out, sell it to me. I'll take that poor waif off your hands.:D

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Not parting with my butt ugly tapco SKS! Always gets looks of wtf is that at the range :D

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Firing pin is clean, rust free, moving well. It had an aftermarket dust cover with scope mount that needed some serious grinding to remove all the lips and burs to smooth out the bolt. Plus one of the scope rail bolts was hitting the spring. Ground that down first(was main cause) then went after the rest that caused it to slow and snag. Dremel and a fiber cutting disk worked wonders!

9. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Well there was certainly a lot more to ur original description, lol.

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

Was it firing ok before? Im confused how if you needed to grind blots it ever could have worked right before now with that setup.

11. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Is the recoil spring in correctly? There's a right, then a more right way on the SKS

12. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

Same here.

13. Kiln

Kiln Member

So...you skipped checking the simple fixes like cleaning and jumped straight into grinding the dust cover?

Oh well, if it's working then I guess that's a win. Still though, when troubleshooting I usually start with the easiest potential solutions and work from there.

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

If it don't work use a bigger hammer lol

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Its called a factory adjustment tool ;-)

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

Heres why i find this very difficult to comprehend about your "fix". Bolts dont tighten themselves from recoil, they loosen. So how they all on thier own managed to screw in far enough to interfere with the movement doesnt make any sense. And if you didn't tighten them further from the last time you fired it, it would have been causing issues then also. This is not a scenario that just happens.

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

In this fight my money's on MaryB....:D

18. moona11

O she's gonna whoop T for sure :-D

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

Your both just too scared to ask the question. Tell me it makes sense to either of you little girls??

20. moona11