SKS Suggestions

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Jettster, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Jettster

Jettster Member

So I bought my SKS a few weeks ago, and I really love it in it's original furniture. The one I have looks brand new, and fires perfectly. The problem I have is that I bought the Tapco Fusion furniture kit and 2 extra 20rnd mags. I want to buy a SKS that isn't so nice so I can bubba one up. Any suggestions?

2. base871

base871 Guest

J&Gsales were selling them for 149 last I saw. I looked at a couple when I was in there last month, nice good looking rifles for the price. Does that help any?

3. Just be patient and keep an eye out for a Norinco, they are usually among the least expensive. I bought an excellent Yugo a few weeks back and have the same conundrum. I'd found a nice Norinco in a shop a few miles away that comes with a 150 rounds of ammo for $150. I'm holding out for a better deal, lol.

4. base871

base871 Guest

WOW! 150 for a norico! thats a deal, i cant seem to find one under 275 here. Id jump on that deal!

5. Markets are strange ain't they? My mint Yugo 59/66 was on sale for $199 and today I noticed the same store has them regular price at $199. (I actually got mine for $79.99 for some reason!)

6. I want to go to town on a SKS as well but I can't find any nasty ugly ones.

I have 2 now both beautiful looking examples. A buddy is considering trading his Tula SKS for my new pistol that I got recently (posted in the AK picture thread).

7. I love to Bubba me some SKS :)

I've done 2 so far, one in a Tapco T6, the other in an ATI Monte Carlo with a Choate scope mount. Both had the barrels cut down, bolts modified to allow mag changes with the bolt closed, various finish changes.... The usual :)

I lucked out, as my first SKS had very average wood and the second was a beater, with all sorts of surface blemishes on the barrel/gas block.

8. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Bubbizing is easy: try reverting the Bubbaized/tacticool ones...

If anyone reads this, and has a Norinco stockset, bayonet and screw for sale, let me know. I have a set of Hungarian wood on it, and love it over the Monte Carlo set I got it with. I might send that down to someone who actually wants that....
    Hmm, gotta tink.

9. base871

base871 Guest

elguapo, i see your in phoenix.....last time i was in arizona firearms they had some sks stock sets in a barrel (along with some others) for arond 25 bucks, might have some norinco's in there.

10. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I would have to hit up the SKS boards, since I am really not up to snuff on SKSs'
    I have a Norinco, love it, and bought my father a Yugo. I know, the Norincos had the trispoke bayo, but the stocks? I am not sure.
    But thanks for the lead!

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

I have found my Yugo to be the best for the price (a J and G unit for $149....a bit of polishing and work and it turned into a NICE rifle)! Of course, I adhere to the theory that you shouldn't to anything to the gun that you wouldn't want to restore. Of course, I'm VERY content on chopping off the grenade sights and bayonet lug, but that's just me.

12. Jettster

Jettster Member

Yeah, I got the Tapco fusion kit with the built in bottom rail, the receiver tri rail, fore grip and 2 20rnd mags, spent almost 200 bux, then realized that I like the Yugo as it is and I don't want to ruin it's "natural beauty".

Mostly, I hate trying to load it using stripper clips, I can't get the rocking back and forth part down and I end up jamming it and starting over. Maybe I just need additional practice. But I want to use the kit I already bought. I'll keep looking locally, shipping and FFL is a killer on a good priced Yugo.

13. Jettster

Jettster Member

And I still can't get an invite to the SKSBOARDS. Can someone who is registered send my e-mail addy to the administrator? Maybe it's getting blocked as spam, but I can't figure it out.

terryejett@hotmail.com

It would be greatly appreciated.

14. As far as looks mine would be a prime canidate to bubba up. Stock painted black and chipped of in places, a lot of blueing gone with mild pitting.

But it is supposed to be a Vietnam war bringback, has no import markings on it, just the Chineese factory markings and serial #

I just couldnt bring myself to do it.

15. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Are you using the factory 10 round magazine, or the newer 20s?

I think you need some newer or less abused (stepped on, flattened) stripper clips. I have no problem with "normal" stripper clips, that when are loaded, stay together. The ones that allow a little slop between the rounds, are the problem children. BTW, on using stripper clips, with practice, you get faster, and you can load them by feel.
    Basically, its all about the stripper clips themselves.

16. Jettster

Jettster Member

Yep, brand new S clips, and I am planning on using the newer 20rns magazine from Tapco once I find a suitable candidate for bubba-ing.