Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
The SKS is notorious for this. They're a terrific weapon but are imported packed in cosmoline and sometimes the cosmo will get inside the bolt and push the firing pin forward just enough to hit the primer when you chamber a round. Some have even gone full auto because of this. ALWAYS ALWAYS perform a complete disassembly when you buy an SKS. Tear the bolt down and make SURE there's no cosmo behind the firing pin. A friend of mine had a slam fire on the range and I told him how to tear the rifle down and clean the bolt as we drove home. He lived in the apartment beside mine. I went to take a nap, he went to clean his rifle. I was awakened by a BOOM!. He'd cleaned the rifle per my instructions but didn't tear down the bolt and clean behind the firing pin. Fortunately the apartment ceilings and floors were poured concrete with an air space between the 1 inch thick layers. The round went thru the first layer and disintegrated when it hit the 2nd. Had it gone thru the 2nd layer it would have hit the waterbed upstairs. :wideeyed2: He was also fortunate that I managed the apartment complex so he still had a place to live after blowing a 2 inch hole in the ceiling. :yes:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
The SKS is notorious for this. They're a terrific weapon but are imported packed in cosmoline and sometimes the cosmo will get inside the bolt and push the firing pin forward just enough to hit the primer when you chamber a round. Some have even gone full auto because of this. ALWAYS ALWAYS perform a complete disassembly when you buy an SKS. Tear the bolt down and make SURE there's no cosmo behind the firing pin. A friend of mine had a slam fire on the range and I told him how to tear the rifle down and clean the bolt as we drove home. He lived in the apartment beside mine. I went to take a nap, he went to clean his rifle. I was awakened by a BOOM!. He'd cleaned the rifle per my instructions but didn't tear down the bolt and clean behind the firing pin. Fortunately the apartment ceilings and floors were poured concrete with an air space between the 1 inch thick layers. The round went thru the first layer and disintegrated when it hit the 2nd. Had it gone thru the 2nd layer it would have hit the waterbed upstairs. :wideeyed2: He was also fortunate that I managed the apartment complex so he still had a place to live after blowing a 2 inch hole in the ceiling. :yes:
Now I don't feel so bad cause I had something similar happen to my SKS and I shot my neibor's house from a 1/2 mile away!!

The bullet went through a dual pain window in the dining room then in one cubbord door and out the other on the other side of the island and then trashed out the top of the stove. Good thing the Mrs. wasn't cooking dinner or I'd be typing this from prison. :wideeyed:

She was so pissed off that I trashed her stove that she couldn't even talk to me. She was pissed cause at the time you couldn't get a new stove with chrome on it and the insurance co wouldn't fix her old one. They wanted her to have a new one for safety reasons.

Inside the cubbord were all the cereal boxes so I am officially a "cereal killer".

My "Renter's Insurance" paid for all of it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I heard about 995s slam firing about two years ago and wanted to see if this was possible. What I found out is more a matter of proper gun handling safety than the fault of the gun. The only way the 995 will "slam fire" is if the shooter has their finger on the trigger when the bolt is being closed! The sear holds the firing pin in place (cocked) when the bolt reaches the end of it's reaward travel. The trigger resets as the bolt nears the end of it forward travel. If you have your finger on the trigger when you release the bolt, to chamber a round, What appears to be a slam fire can happen. With a little pressure on the trigger, as the bolt comes forward, the trigger resets and then releases the firing pin and causes the chambered round to fire BECAUSE THE SHOOTER PULLED THE TRIGGER ACCIDENTLY!!!

I tried this with a snap cap,fed from the magazine, with my finger off the trigger and could not induce a slam fire. I tried riding the bolt handle, pulling and releasing the bolt as fast as I could and nothing happened. I tried the same thing with my finger on the trigger. When I was cycling the bolt rapidly it happened. I felt my trigger finger move. If it was a real round the gun would have fired. What happened? As I pulled back on the bolt handle and released it, with the muzzle of the gun pointing down, my hand on the pistol grip tightened and my trigger finger pulled the trigger just as it reset causing the gun to "fire" as the bolt "slammed" closed. I tried this while closing the bolt very slowly and found that this could happen. So it is not a slam fire, but a ACCIDENDAL DISGHARGE CAUSED BY UNSAFE GUN HANDLING!! Please practice fire arm safety At all times!! The life you save may be a loved one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.