Slide cracked after less than 1000 rds

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by wayneb, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneb

wayneb Member

I started getting light primer strikes and upon disassembky found the slide cracked.i was dissapointed to say the least because all I've ever shot in it is light lead bullet loads. There must be side thrust on the sear.I called Hp and I'm sending it back.The guy said they have some upgrades to add.Other than that its been flawless. i might sell it when I get it back and get something with a steel bolt/slide.i dunno right now I'm pissed because I have 10 magazines for it. I wish someone made a 9mm lever gun.

[​IMG]

2. ItBeMe

ItBeMe Member

Well sh*t happens, get it fixed and enjoy it.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So how can we help you?

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

4. wayneb

wayneb Member

No help needed,just something to watch out for.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's pretty unusual for them to fail in that way. Particularly to fill in that way so soon. I think that you just got unlucky. I know that you are sending it back to mom. I think that's the right decision. I suspect that the next one will run a lot longer for you.

6. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Little secret I know about Hi Point, the lack of an ejector allows the rounds in the magazine to slam onto the firing pin channel. This is why you are getting wear, just saying.....its a design flaw they've they have known about for decades and haven't fixed it.

7. wayneb

wayneb Member

I know its a inexpensive gun, but one of the worst feelings is to have a gun go click unexpectedly.Now that I know,I wont trust it for anything but plinking.
    I'll stick with old school steel stuff for guns to count on.Namely my CZ75.

8. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    It would cost Hi Point less than .50 cents per gun to install an ejector into the frame. This would save them a ton of money in the long run that they will loose replacing slides. To make it worse they wont send you a new slide in the mail, you have to mail your gun to THEM. So its just a PIA all around. I hope they are reading this....

9. wayneb

wayneb Member

i asked them to just send me a slide an they said they will 'upgrade it"
    I'm thinking there is no upgrade.i would'e bought a new slide to keep from sending it in. well,at least they're keeping Americans employed an all. I'm UPS'ing it though no way am i trusting the USPS with a firearm.

10. Every brand of gun has some early failures, some more than others, but some cost more than others. There are members here who have thousands of rounds through their Hi Points without failure or problems. Hi Points are popular because the are reliable for a fair price. Every semi auto I know of slams the breach(which is where the FP channel is) into the next round, including my 1911. My 1911 has thousands of round, but some 1911's have had early failures.

I am sure CZ has had rare cases of failures also.

And let's not forget Iragveteran8888's attempts to blow up a Hi Point, with the most extreme abuse. And the HP kept on ticking.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  11. Almost all of my firearms have been shipped USPS through the LGS. Cost was less than shipping UPS, or Fedex paying the firearm fees. Not one problem, even when I sent my NEW Glock 22 because of a frame rail failing after TEN rounds.

And I still have three Glocks, these things happen. My Gen 2 Glock has a lot, a hell of a lot of rounds through it, and runs like a champ.

12. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Numrich is sold out of Hi Point slides and carbine breech bolts...at $53.00 a pop what does that tell you? If they are loosing money over a simple design flaw im not sure if that's gonna help them grow as a company. Growing companies hire people not fire people.

13. wayneb

wayneb Member

i was being sarcastic. most people who own a HP probably dont shoot them much.just stick em in the nightstand. i have a nice 25acp that i never shoot because of ammo prices.!K rounds of factory 9mm is as much as the gun or they dont have any wide open spaces to shoot in. bottom line is I trust my 1858 remingtons more than this carbine,they have never failed to go boom.So, I'll probably sell it because i dont want to send it back even at 5K rounds.So unless the factory makes replacement parts as cheap and available as their carbine,I really have no long term use for it. This time consuming mailing #[email protected]% in is ridiculous.

[​IMG]

14. Numrich is sold out on a lot of parts, first off HP is not in the parts business, they are doing everything to keep up with demand. Since they have a no questions asked warranty, and they want the firearms returned for inspection, they probably are not to concerned with parts from secondary sources. Plus Numrich may have stopped ordering parts, no demand, no sense of keeping inventory.

It tells me nothing that Numrich is out of any parts to any handgun.

15. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've got well over 6,000 rounds through my 4095 without zero critical or catastrophic failures.

The thing about HP is it is a full lifetime, you break it they fix it no questions asked, warranty that follows the gun, not the purchaser.

I trust it as much as I do my other firearms. I've even grabbed it to clear my house and yard before when someone tried to break in.

It's a low-cost, reliable firearm made from inexpensive materials and covered for ALL defects. Manufacturer and end user.

16. Fishy1

Fishy1 Member

I shoot my HP carbines more than any gun I own. I grab at least one every time I go to shoot.

I mailed one back. Took all of 10 minutes to box and label it the way Hi Point asked me to. Then they upgraded all my mags for free and sent me a free mag to cover shipping costs..Ridiculous indeed!!

17. wayneb

wayneb Member

sounds great ! I hope when i get it back it breaks again ! I'll have dozens of free magazines ! The magazines will even cost more than if I just bought them outright ! YAY !

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Could you please elaborate on this? Hi Point uses the firing pin as the injector. So I'm a little confused as to what your claim is. After the firing pin has ignited the primer, the pin remains in a forward position and works to eject the round. This is a known design decision which means that when ejecting live ammunition the firing pin can contact a live primer. Many people consider this a major safety concern. Thus I'm a little confused as to what you are saying the issue is. It should not actually impact either the breach face or the bottom of the slide any more than any other gun with an ejector on the frame.

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

And you know this how? You've reviewed HP's costs and pricing and engineering to come to this 50cent conclusion?
    Does that include labor and overhead and all the other costs involved?
    Everyone thinks its a matter of a few pennies to do, if it really was that cheap and easy to do, I'm sure they would have by now.

20. talon

talon the banned wagon

It tells me that most hipoint owners aren't complete idiots and don't order parts from Numrich when they can get them FREE from hipoint. And Numrich knows that too, and I'm sure doesn't order large quantities of said parts. Just enough for the occasional moron who isn't smart enough to use the FREE repair/replacement warranty. Or the occasional guy buying a spare to try customizing a slide for example. Numrich isn't stupid either, and aren't going to stock large quantities of parts that the manufacturer will give you free of charge.
    And considering they, hipoint that is, were formed February 18, 1992 I'd say they are already more than just a "growing company", more than 20 years in business, I'd say they're rather established by now and may know just a teensy-weensy bit more about the business than you do. How long has your firearm company been in business??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.