Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new so maybe it's me, but when I bought my 40s&w I wanted to play around and get to know it. When I pull back the slide it takes me forever to get it back closed. Is this because of no rounds in the clip? Is there something I should know? Please help with any knowledge you may have.

·
UCCG Retired
46 Posts
If your talking about no rounds in the magazine then yes the magazine is designed to hold the slide open after the last round. Remove the magazine and see if that works, if not send it in and have it looked at.

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
What Madmax said. Take the mag out, pull the slide back a bit, release, and it should close fine. With the mag out, you can rack to your hearts content.

Do NOT cycle live ammo in the gun. Bad things have happened, as the firing pin is the ejector. If you must cycle the gun with a full mag, use snap caps or dummy rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
When I dry fire the gun (as in I'm 100% sure that it is empty). I eject the mag about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch and then I can get it to bypass the last round hold out. I mounted a laser to the trigger guard and practiced my trigger pull. It's neat to see how a laser at 20 feet exposes all of the bad habits you have. Obviously you'll have to hand cycle the slide with each pull but it works great.

For those that are in the "never dryfire a gun without a snap cap or equivalent in the chamber" camp. I'm not here to get into a debate. If that's the way you practice great, I've dry fired my HPs many times with no ill effect.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts