Slide ports

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by malforce32, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malforce32

malforce32 Well-Known Member

By now sure we've seen the funny video of the "Ultimate Hi-Point" personally like the un-obtainanium coating. Lol. But I did like the idea of ports on the slide. As a cosmetic speak I'm wondering if this can be done fairly easily.

I'm aware of the math involved in taking weight from the slide but thought I'd pick everyone's brain. Basically if I do this I'll be using a good dremmel rotary tool to make cuts or ports as scene in the video. Like to go this rout because I like the results of hand work vs machine.

A thought I had was either stretching or compressing the spring to compensate for weight loss. But I'd prefer not to make any changes. If there's a safe amount of mass that can be removed without compensation.

Also location would be helpful. Obviously only be on side and tops towards the front would be best place.

I attached some images of the ultimate hi point, and other guns (yes I know ones airsoft)

Also thought about making the ejection port larger like the TAC skin photo.

Attached Files:

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Totally cosmetic if you don't put holes in the barrel, except for its effect on reliability and slide longevity.

Also, you don't just stretch or compress the spring, you get a different one with a different weight/strength.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Couple of years ago there was a thread with loads of pics by somebody who cut all sorted of snazzy lightening holes in his slide.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    And he never returned with a range report. Wonder what happened to him?

5. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

Personally I'd say slap an XY axis vise on a drill press and use a milling bit to do slide cutouts. Cutouts would make the slide slightly lighter, but you'll need a stronger spring. I hear 1911 springs fit hi-points, but I can't confirm that. Aside from cosmetics, cutouts will also make the gun lighter. Alternately if you just wanted the cosmetic change, you could add weight elsewhere. I'm thinking in that video the red dot they put on it weighed roughly the same as the cutouts.

Really, if you were going to mill the slide for a better cosmetic appearance, I'd put more details and contours on it to make the slide less brick like, though obviously that's going to be a lot more work.

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

probably got killed when the slide burst in his face from being weakened by all the material removed from it.... :p:D

7. malforce32

What if I did the mod to add this light? Then remove an equal amount of mass of the slide to the mass of the light?

Attached Files:

8. FlashBang

Why would you remove anything from the slide if you are mounting the light to the frame??

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Slide mass removed must be returned to the slide, not a rail accessory.
    It is for the blowback operation to work properly.

I had always thought of doing cosmetic slide work, smoothing the contours, and adding weight back in with tungsten rod material ;)
    It is kind of expensive, but well worth it! I was thinking maybe $10 worth of "W" per weapon, max...

10. FlashBang

It's a Hi-Point... slap a skull sticker on it and call it a day. :p

11. colthrash

colthrash Member

or something to do with zombies...

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The win is strong in this one...:p

13. malforce32

Any mods I do are limited to the slide. I won't mod the frame. That's why I'd have to cut the slide to use those groves on the frame to mount to. Mine was a .380 acp originally but I converted it to 9mm. Polished slide and gave the barrel a brushed metal look. Cut the seems of the frame and sanded the glossy cheap plastic look of them. Gonna add grip tap later. Only thing left is to change slide to a give it the overall tactical but classy look.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    But FB, then it will still look like an HP, with SkullZ on it! SO Yesterday! :p

15. malforce32

Also any thoughts on making the ejection port larger. Like to cut it to the top.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Just for cosmetic reasons or is there an ulterior motive?
    I'm sure there's some wiggle room as far as weight since it's a HP after all and not some finely tuned racing machine.
    But you're in the experimental category as I have no idea about the stresses on the slide.
    My peanut brain would think it's already the weaker area.

17. malforce32

Ya, my worry on port was the same

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    Inspect the under side first, and avoid removing anything that looks like "structural posts" that might be tying ribs together or such. Kinda need a pic to look at, post one before you rip into it, if you can.

I would also chamfer the cuts and remove any stress risers that could start a crack to develop. This will also make it look nice :D

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    I used to do a ton of cylinder head porting, and those take a lot of heat and pressure. Just be careful and be smart. 1911's seem to get ported DOWN and BACK from what I have seen, but the C9 (if that is what you are doing) might be different. Lemme get something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.