Slide project

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by pjm204, May 3, 2008.

1. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I bought an extra slide, barrel, and parts kit for my JCP40. I am trying to decide what to do with the slide, I am thinking I will polish the strip on it....what else could I do?

2. pjm204

pjm204 Member

what are peoples thoughts on drilling and tapping the top or sides for a scope rail. how will the zamac-3 take to the tapping? I mean if I mess up the slide, its not a big deal, but I do want to do something cool to it, make my HP stand apart from the rest.

3. Please excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't the entire mount and scope recoil every time the slide did? That doesn't seem too efficient to me.

How about polishing the entire slide, or having it chromed?

It would also look nice painted OD green and the grips painted OD green also.

4. pjm204

pjm204 Member

you raise a good point, probably wouldn't work very well.....I guess I got ahead of myself there.....I was thinking about polishing the whole thing and then spraying it with clearcoat....OD would look cool too though

5. To me that OD / black look is really sharp

6. I'll throw a curve ball here, since I've only heard of this and have no firm reason to believe or not believe that it works.

But here goes: strip a zamak slide (or other part) and dance a propane flame over it. Supposedly, this creates a case-hardened look which can then be preserved with a coat of clear DuraCoat or other similar stuff. Has anyone else heard of this>

7. Never have farmkid, but sure would like to see a pic, sounds interesting.

8. +1 for entire slide polish.
    +1 for case hardened look if you can find proof of it working.
    Not bug on OD myself. I thought maybe something in a nice robin's egg or periwinkle. J/K!!! I do think a mid to dark matte blue would look good with the black frame. Maybe coordinated grips.

9. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I think I will try polishing the strip on the slide, if that works easily, then I will polish the rest of it. I'll be sure to post pics as soon as I do it.

The case hardened idea sounds cool, guess I'd have to be careful not to get it too hot and melt it hahaha

10. how about a hunter green powder coat?! My neace would love to beadazzel it for you!!

11. Thorn 242

Thorn 242 Well-Known Member

((I thought maybe something in a nice robin's egg or periwinkle. J/K!!!))

your starting to freak me out man!!

12. Thorn 242,.. You always have to take it a step to far don't you!!!! J/K

13. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I'm pretty sure that I am going to bead blast all of the finish off, and then use progressively higher grit sandpapers until I get it polished nicely, and then finish off with a buffing wheel. I will spray it with a clear coat to preserve it too. I might try the case hardening, might not.

14. Thorn 242

Thorn 242 Well-Known Member

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    why yes rob....i do....bbbwwwwwhhhhaaaaaahahahahaha

15. pjm204'
    have you finalized your decision on what you are going to do with your extra slide yet? BTW, where did you get the extra parts. I wouldn't mind having an extra slide to (insert Moby _____) around with. I would like to try and put night sights on it, and maybe try to paint it.

16. pjm204

pjm204 Member

if you type in factory gun parts kit on gunbroker, you can get entire parts sets for hi-points....I think I just ruined my supply but thats okay since I already got my slide.....

I am going to bead blast it and then polish it, might try the torch case hardening, and either way I will clear coat it after.