Slide Release NOT working ?????

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by DocS9788, Jan 23, 2013.

1. DocS9788

DocS9788 Member

I have had my C9 for about a year now and have had virtually NO problems with it. I purchased a Set of THOMAS (Spalted Maple) grips and installed them and had difficulty with the Magazine release... reinstalled ORIGINAL grips and now when I LOCK the slide Back ... and then use the RELEASE button, the slide does NOT go forward. I have to drop the Magazine and MANUALLY move the slide forward. When firing, NO FF's, NO FE's, BUT the slide does NOT lock open on LAST round fired... it DOES eject it just does NOT lock open. ANY IDEAS? I did a CURSORY Barrel clean (Patch down barrel) ONLY... I did NOT take the gun down. I am reluctant to send it back for something so simple. Thought I'd run it by Y'all first. What say you???

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What release button is that? How are you locking the slide back? With the safety?

If there is an empty mag in the gun, and you rack the slide back and lock it with the safety, the LRHO may activate. So that when you release the safety/slide lock (not a button) the mag catch will still keep it locked back.

When you drop the mag, you should then be able to rack the slide slightly to the rear, and then release, and it should act right, and close.

But then, you say the LRHO doesn't work when shooting? Is it dirty ( the LRHO) or did putting the other grips on bend something, under the grips??

3. DocS9788

DocS9788 Member

I MISSPOKE it is NOT a "Button" as you correctly point out. It IS, rather, the "SAFETY Lever/("LRHO". YES, I am locking the slide back with the "Safety Lever" when I insert a magazine.
    Then, when I move the safety lever/LRHO DOWNWARD, the slide does NOT move forward and chamber a round. This is INTERMITTENT behavior (About 1 out of 5 times). Also the slide is NOT locking back when the last round in the magazine has been fired (Occurs almost EVERY time now). It DOES eject the spent casing but slide does not lock the breach OPEN. Is the pistol CLEAN? YES, VERY clean and this is a NEW issue... have had the pistol since Feb of 2012 and have NOT had issues. There is LITTLE to Bend or damage from installing the grips and I have since removed them and reinstalled FACTORY grips ... still having the issue...Am sitting here with Pistol as I write... I racked the slide 5 times... the LRHO released 4 times.. did NOT on the 5th attempt. CLEANED the pistol an hour ago. Put about 200 rounds through it Yesterday. Issue began as we were shooting....MY first thought was DIRTY also but it continues after cleaning. Thanks for the correction on nomenclature and the prompt reply!

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No sweat!:)

How about looking through the ejection port, at the actual LRHO thingy..is it really clean, or is there any paint or gunk in the way there? Try putting an empty mag in with the slide locked back, and watching to see of it activates as it should?

Somewhere here is a thread about doing some basic work on the LRHO, to make it function better. I'm sure someone with that knowledge will be along soon.;)

5. DocS9788

DocS9788 Member

Thanks "ajole", Yes, it is pristinely clean. Am UNable to SEE anything. Putting an empty magazine in ... and moving the LRHO downward (FIRE position) results in NOTHING! I will search around and see if I can locate the thread you are referring to. Thanks, again, for taking time to reply! :)

6. Tgrips

Tgrips Member

Doc. did you remove the little bar behind the right grip. Its in the back of the clip release button. Very small bar.about a 1/16" wide?

7. DocS9788

DocS9788 Member

RE: Slide Release NOT working ????? Issue RESOLVED!

Thanks for the personal phone call, Josh (Tgrips). I reinstalled my Spalted Maple Thomas Grips and carefully tightened them. YES, I removed the little bar on the right side and taped it to the Factory grips.

I cycled the pistol by hand through an entire Magazine of ammo and it functioned Perfectly. Now THIS is gonna sound crazy but the ONLY thing I did differently was I installed the RIGHT grip first, THEN the left.

I was expecting the LRHO to function differently than it is designed for. MY IGNORANCE!!!! But THAT is what THIS forum is SOOOO good for... LEARNING! "ajole" responded within 5 minutes of my first post on this issue, then Josh of Tgrips (Who has my phone number from my ordering his grips) actually took PERSONAL time to call me. THANK YOU, Gentlemen, BOTH of you for your Help!

BTW ... Forum members have YOU considered Thomas Grips for YOUR C9??? REALLY nice looking!

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Good info, nice PR for the site and TGrips.

And since we so rarely get to actually thank the guy who DOES the stuff we all wish was getting done...kudos to Josh for getting right in there!:)