slide safety

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by mellon, Dec 25, 2014.

1. mellon

mellon Member

I was researching comments about keeping a round in hi point pistols ( cocked and locked) I understand the issues with it. Someone said the slide safety just blocks the slide. But checking my 40 with an empty mag in the slide safety when engaged the trigger wont pull either. So its not just a slide block?. Do you keep a round in your hi point? Do you carry with it and if you do is there a round in the pipe?

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

The safety blocks the sear. I carry a DAO S&W, it's not as likely to AD.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Israeli carry Hi Points. Just do not fully trust the safety.

4. bluharley

bluharley Member

The safety on my Cobra .32 is the same. I ground down the sear trying to play gunsmith and shorten the trigger pull! I lost the safety and gained nothing on the trigger pull. When I replaced the sear, I put the safety on, and with it unloaded, kept trowing it on the floor to see if I could jar it enough to release the striker. I could not. But I still would be very cautious about carrying a loaded striker fired gun.

5. I personally have no problem carrying with a round in the chamber of HP, 1911, JA380 and so on. The safety blocks the sear from downward travel, without the sear disengaging the FP the gun cannot fire. 1911 70 series the safety does the same thing, blocks the sear. I don't play with or excessively handle my gun, it stays in the holster, safeties are mostly for numpties who can't keep their finger off the trigger until needed.

But it boils down to personal choice, it is for each person to chose.

6. mellon

mellon Member

With every thing ive read and advice from yall ive gone to keeping a full mag in but not loaded in my 45 and 40 at home. My c9 stays in my car. When im out and about I keep it loaded in case of quick need but if its sitting at home I clear it and just keep a full mag in.

7. mellon

mellon Member

I think im gonna carry a good DA pistol or revolver. However I will qualify my Concealed carry with my C9. Its wicked accurate.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Dang, that guy stole most of my ideas!

Or, we reached the same conclusions independently.;)

I do get a kick out of the typical "but what if you are pinned on the ground..." reply. Because again...how many people on this planet have ever had a gun and been pinned down, unable to use it?

I guess Zimmerman would be an example...but then if I had been in a dark place looking for a bad guy, I would have already progressed to condition 1 anyway,as he apparently was.

They preach situational awareness, but assume you will get blindsided or be in a quick draw shootout with no warning...it's just wierd.

9. mellon

mellon Member

I was working in gun shop and 3 guys walked in at closing time. The one at the door was standing with his hand in his coat. I was carrying locked and loaded with about 4 feet of nothing between us. Longest minutes of my life. Lucky my boss came out of the back racking a 12 gauge. The three retreated out the door thinking better of getting into a gun fight in close quarters. If I was c3 I would not have felt as confident.

10. TopGas

TopGas Member

While my thoughts (and sometimes words) on what "Condition" to employ when I carry have vacillated over the years, with few if any exceptions, Condition 3 has been my mode of choice for actual firearm carry.
    There will, of course, be many that disagree and they will list their reasons. Mr. Armstrong does an excellent and eloquent job of supporting the reasoning of the Condition 3 advocates (including myself) and will perhaps make the others think again.
    TG

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And of course...if I worked in a gun shop or a 7-11, I'd carry differently.

But I don't.:)

12. sdshipoint

sdshipoint Member

That's how I look at it. I carry C3 because I live in Vermont and not a lot happens here. However if I would adjust my carry condition if the situation required it.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

13. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

It also depends on what I'm carrying. Hp condition 3. But my p95 loaded chamber hammer down. The zastava m70aa I just got is a single action w a saftey and hammer block. That I may carry cocked and locked. As well as where I'm carrying, my job is in a real crappy part of town. When I'm leaving late at night any fire arm in my truck or on me prolly gonna be ready to go. I cannot carry at wrk but I do to and from.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

14. mellon

mellon Member

I keep my 2 at home just loaded and not one in the pipe. However the c9 in my car is cocked and locked traveling to and from work or in bad areas. If its gonba sit on my driveway all weekend I do unload it from the chamber but keep a full mag in.

15. shadow460

shadow460 Member

One solid hit to that JA380 and you lose the grips, which will allow both safeties to disengage. The drop safety will fall completely out. I am unfortunate enough to own one of these pieces of junk, and I actually clean my guns every so often, so I know how it's put together. Seeing the gun frame turn colors will make one think twice about carrying it for self defense.
    I still do have limited uses for a pocket pistol, and will soon be looking into an LCP380. When I get it, my first task is going to be to send that JA 380 downrange and use it as a target to sight in its replacement.

That said, I generally do carry either a C9 or CF 380 cocked and locked... so long as the holster I'm using keeps the barrel pointed straight down. Therein lies another problem I experienced with the JA 380; its pocket holster doesn't allow for muzzle control and the risk of an AD in some direction other than down is unacceptable. I wouldn't carry ANY pocket pistol cocked and locked.
    Soon I'll be going back to a revolver for concealed carry, which is simple: hammer down, wheel full, and no safety to worry about. Just point and shoot.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This post is relevant to the thread and addresses a specific example in reference to the subject of the thread.

All the rest of the Zimmerman discussion has been moved to the Dark Rooms. Please continue the discussion there.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f293/zimmerman-again-312560/

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk "Do'n Mod Stuff" Lawson