Sling relocation really necessary?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Greydog, Oct 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Greydog

Greydog Member

I'm a right handed shooter, and have put a sling on the factory installed side.... I do say, it's pretty awkward for a right hand shooter.

For those that have done the relocation/drill for the other side, was it worth the risk of screwing it up? I am handy with tools and it seems super straightforward but also don't like to ruin things that are "good enough".

Do you all recommend flipping the sling swivels to the left side of the rifle?

Texas Shooter likes this.
  2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I did it and no drilling was required. Just use the sling studs to pop out the anchor nut at the location you want to mount the sling, and swap it to the other side of the stock. They're just knurled on the edge for grip, so it won't damage anything.

20201023_082110.jpg

20201023_082133.jpg

CowboyBob and Rerun like this.

3. Greydog

Greydog Member

Cool. I saw a YT vid that implied unless you drilled for depth a bit that they wouldn't bite the nut pressed the opposite direction. Good to know that's not needed.

4. Rachgier

I hate to sound like that guy but,

Screw you tube, come talk to the experts.

Collectively speaking there's well over 100 years of smithing and modding experience just on hi point firearms right here on HPFF.

5. Greydog

Greydog Member

That's why I asked here as well! Appreciate the perspective. Gonna give it a try when I get home to it.

Rerun likes this.
  6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I swapped one for a single point, like Rach did, but the other guns I left alone, as I don't really use the sling to shoot the carbines, and the bolt handle digs in if the sling is on the left

7. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

I swapped one for a single point sling on my 10MM but the nut was too big for the bolt side hole so I drilled the hole a touch bigger.

8. Greydog

Greydog Member

I'm not too concerned about a little charging handle sticking out. The awkward hang from the other side outweighs that for me. Can always reverse it if I hate it...

undeRGRound, ajole and fatal-bert33 like this.
  9. Greydog

Greydog Member

Well. That wasn’t too hard, though I definitely chewed into the plastic on the forearm of the rifle before I got enough purchase on the nut. I think I’d agree with the YT guy that counter drilling the opposite side to get the nut farther in would have been the best move. I don’t really see what’s to stop the sling bolts from backing out though, regardless of what side they’re on? Just.... friction?

the charging handle doesn’t bug me at all tbh though

ajole likes this.
  10. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Welcome to the site! Lots of cool aftermarket charging handles out there. Downrangeproducts is one.

11. retread

retread Member

should not chew up anything. take the screw out and put it back in at an angle till it hits the nut and tap the screw with a hammer. put the nut over hole on other side and tap it flush with hammer. screw in swivel until nut moves in and stops and tightens the swivel in place.

12. Greydog

Greydog Member

I disagree. The forward nut is tapped all the way in to where the body stops it. The bolt does get purchase but not really a ton. I might take the nut back out and drill it in a bit.

Attached Files:

13. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Ignore my post as I used a different spot for a single point sling. I think Rachgier and Ajole did also.

14. Rachgier

Originally I went front and rear sling mounts, then I switched to a single point. Took a fresh picture of what I had.

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The one time I tried left side mounting, both front and rear worked the same. But that was not a TS stock...maybe it’s different?

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  16. Greydog

Greydog Member

I went ahead and drilled the hole deeper with a 3/8 bit and the bolt gets full purchase on the nut now. Added a few lock washers to get it to sit where I wanted. Added blue loctite. Should be good to go now!

retread and fatal-bert33 like this.
  17. SunnySky

SunnySky Member

Is it hard to get the nut out and which direction to tap? I tried to remove the bottom one out like in Rachgier's picture, but the nut did not succumb.

In addition, like Greydog mentioned, what prevents the whole nut/swivel from falling out? Friction between the nut and the wall of the hole?

18. Greydog

Greydog Member

Punch it harder. Its just a press fit into the plastic. You'll see the knurls when you get it out. Alternatively screw the bolt in the other side and pull the nut out.

The only thing holding it in is the friction of the hole and the tension of screwing it all together. Not super confidence inspiring, I'll be keeping an eye on mine, maybe a touch of epoxy to lock the nut into the stock.... If I screw it up another stock is only 40 bucks or whatever.

retread likes this.
  19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You guys are making it harder than it is. Loosen the bolt and tap on the blot the nut will come out. Switch it around and re-tighten if you think its not going to stay put a dab of lock tight or nail polish on the threads

retread and TNTRAILERTRASH like this.
  20. Greydog

Greydog Member

The forearm nut absolutely doesn't get enough purchase if you don't drill the holes deeper.