Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my old JHP for about twice what I paid for it in the panic, w/ it's 10 rnd ProMag 1911 mag. Recently picked up a brand new JHP for $165 OTD, promptly ordered a Thingmeister mag catch & 3 1911 mags from SARCO. In manually cycling rounds to test the mags, I have a problem w/ the 7 rnd "GI" mag and the 8 rnd Korean mag unlocking as I'm racking the slide. I don't have that issue w/ the 15 rounder - I think that's b/c there's no lip to hang up on the very front of the magwell.

I could modify the Korean mag baseplate, but the "GI" mag floorplate lip is steel, my Dremel is at home, and I'd rather modify the gun to take all 1911 mags rather than modify 1911 mags to fit the gun. I'm thinking I just need to take a little bit of plastic out of the front of the bottom of the magwell to solve the issue. Anyone else had this issue? What did you do to fix it?

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been shot, but all the ranges where I'm @ are private or gov't. So might have to wait a bit before I can test. In my last JHP, think the Chip McCormick 8 rounder I have was really tight from the baseplate hitting, so I usually ran a ProMag 10 rounder in it w/o a hitch. Don't have the CMC mag handy to try @ the moment.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, have been filing the inside bottom front of the mag well, and just locked the 7 rnd GI mag in place & racked through 7 rounds, starting w/ an open slide locked by the safety. No mag movement, no unlocking, so it looks like I may have gotten enough plastic out of the way for a Checkmate GI mag.

·
Premium Member
36,176 Posts
Good work. That’s what makes HPs so much fun, you can do things to them, and not feel bad about it. That’s a good feeling.

Then, when it works like you intended, it’s even better.👍

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The 8 rounder, not so much. Drop the slide from the safety catch & it just sits there. Mind, to get the top round out of the magazine to unload it, you have to force it - it's locking rims w/ the round beneath.

ETA: That is to say, I think it's an issue w/ the mag, not the Thingmeister mag catch or the JHP.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,081 Posts
Mine just dropped right in with no issues on 2 pistols and 2 carbines. I also just use 10rd or drum mags. I dont even own 7 or 8 rd mags for my 1911s

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moonzie! Good to see you! Yep, my ProMag 10 rounder worked find on the last JHP til I sold it @ a gunshow. The 15 rounder I just got also works fine, nothing to bind against the bottom of the magwell.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,624 Posts
Sorry, I sold my last JHP and it was also TMF/1911 converted unit. My buyer reported no issues. It had some flush fits I sent with it. Also had 2 sets of TMF grips

Just got a CF this week, $60

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
POF has the lightest weight one, Armalite builds a good one, just get their version that takes SR-25 mags, or roll your own on the DPMS Gen 1 pattern. Don't go DPMS Gen 2 pattern - it's lighter weight than Gen 1, but DPMS is just restarting production and no evidence they'll be able to produce the Gen 2, as that was a Remington design.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,624 Posts
POF has the lightest weight one, Armalite builds a good one, just get their version that takes SR-25 mags, or roll your own on the DPMS Gen 1 pattern. Don't go DPMS Gen 2 pattern - it's lighter weight than Gen 1, but DPMS is just restarting production and no evidence they'll be able to produce the Gen 2, as that was a Remington design.
Prolly going to get a Robinson Armaments
XCR-M 20" heavy barrel profile. A bit pricey but there is a definite gap in there that it fills...

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Robinson is a nice gun, but you are definitely tied to Robinson. If I do a .308, it'll likely be a DPMS Gen 1 pattern, although I've long been tempted to do a DPMS Gen 1 lower & an Armalite upper, just to screw w/ ppl's minds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts