Smith 29-2

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dane, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    S&W 29-2 I saw one in a pawn shop and was wondering what is a good price on one of these?

Who wouldn't want a dirty Harry gun!!

2. best way to figure out a decent price would probably see what they are going for on gun broker and make a judgement.

I love smiths. but don't know enough about them to make a call on price.

We used to have a guy around here that had almost every smith revolver made. Maybe PM him?
    His Username was Dewiejr or something like that.

3. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

I have a 29-2 with an 8" barrel and it is an awesome pistol. I pulled the original sights, added an adapter and then a cheap Red Dot Scope. Its sighted in at 50 yards and is extremely accurate. I havent tried it at the 100 yard range yet but will in the spring. This one has a target trigger with a very light pull. As you can see by the picture the bluing is well worn and the gun has seen a lot of use. However, the bore is bright and it shoots flawlessly. My wife purchased it for me in 2004 at a local auction for $200.00. Around here in this condition they are bringing $500 to $600. In better condition they bring more. Good luck and I know you will enjoy the pistol regardless of what you pay for it.

Attached Files:

• s1.JPG
      s1.JPG
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Grant

Grant Member

Wait!! Your wife bought it for you? Does she have sisters?

5. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Actually she does have a sister. However, the sister is a lesbian, obese and has a very abrasive, controlling personality. Needless to say, she is available. Would you like me to forward her your post ??? :)

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Send it to Underground:D

7. you guys have truly unleashed a war upon yourselves.

Who owns what territory? I need to decide which side im on. Because i forgot

8. moona11

If I was you I'd remember quick. Underturd is so far behind he needs those chocolate buttholes for energy.

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Wow, you got one heck of a deal!! I don't think I can get it that cheap.

On gunbroker the prices seem $800 and up to thousands! I am not sure the differences in them for such a wide price range.

Where are you located for those prices there?

Ammo isn't cheap either. Walmart when they had it was around $40 for a box of 50 JSP. Online can be found for a little less.

10. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Dont forget that was many years ago. I couldnt match that price now either. I am in SW Missouri. I bought several boxes of 44 mags from a neighbor so I am well supplied. How much does the shop want for the 29-2 ?

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    They said they would go $700 out the door, asking was $799 + tax. It has a red dot and mount on it. Not sure if I like that setup or not. Mount seems to be using some of the side frame screws. Also, the insert in the front site is missing and needs to be replaced. I can't find much online on this model. No parts listing, manual, serial number lookup seems to be available from Smith. It might be a target trigger as it is pretty wide.

12. tonka45

tonka45 Junior Member Member

The 29-2 was made from around 61 or 62 until 1982.
    Look at it and see if it has recessed cylinder and a pinned barrel. It should as these changed with the 29-3.
    The front sight isn't really an issue, easily replaced and spare parts are plentiful.
    The scope mount is another deal. In that vintage a lot scopes were mounted by replacing the side plate screws with longer ones to take the mount. not a great set up, but unless someone buggered it up, again easily fixed.
    Its not a target trigger, they had wide triggers from factory.
    I have a near mint 29-2 in its original wood presentation box.
    These revolvers were known for their high gloss blue jobs, so check out the finish.
    The 29 is an N frame , largest Smith made until the X frame came along. Strong enough to handle majority of 44 mag loads, sweet to shoot with 44 specials. Personally I believe the Ruger redhawks are stronger. But have never had an issue with my 29s. Not a plinker with 500 rds a day for sure. But great classic revolvers. $700 is a pretty good deal here IF the finish is decent.
    Post a pic if u can!

13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I will have to try and get some pictures of it. What is the recessed cylinder and a pinned barrel? How can I tell? Yes I believe it is using the side plate for the scope mount.

14. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Here's a picture.

Attached Files:

15. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Anyone know where parts are available? Google came up empty and apparently Smith doesn't sell parts like Ruger.

16. moona11

17. Smith does sell parts if they still have them in stock. I know a few years ago I ordered some grip screws for a 459 I have. They sent them free of charge. I was told then that if the price of the part was less then the shipping they didn't charge you for the parts. Other wise look up Numrich gun parts. They buy manufacturers NOS.
    If you look where the barrel joins the frame you will see a pin that's the pinned barrel Tonka is referring to.
    I have a model 29 44 mag 8 3/8 inch barrel in polished nickel. Has a illuminated reticle 4 power Tasco scope. But my rings are mounted on top of the frame where the rear sight would go. I had it drilled and tapped that way. This also was a gun I ordered from Smiths custom shop. It has the sweetest single action trigger pull anyone that has shot it has felt...[​IMG]

18. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Do you have to call them, because I see nothing about parts online or specific manuals either.

19. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    It has recessed cylinders and pinned barrel.

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The fat Lez? I'd rather have the gun...

Your Wifey is even on our side, as well as 1/2 of HPFF. The other 1/2 is the uncommitted non-posters.
    You had fleshBang, and tallBoots. Maybe one or two other lamerZ :rofl: