Smoked Goodness.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hermitt, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

The end of september usually signifies the end of summer. I have finished my summer stint working 5 months with the state parks at Lake Cascade and so I invited a couple friends over for a casual BBQ....

Including a few smoked Atomic Buffalo Turds!!!! :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6253

2. Stop teasing us give us the recipe!!

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    He did. Go to the link.

4. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Definitely looks like some good eating there.
    Please post the recipe on those.

5. Why does everything have to have some form of fecal material in the title?

6. Follow the. Wait for it.....
    Link.

7. Hermitt

Actually, I usually call them Rattlesnake Poppers. And man O man are they gooooooood!!! :D

Gonna be firing up the hickory chips in about 1/2 a hour..... :p

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Guess you can just chuck 'em on the grill and skip the smoking bit can ya?

9. Hermitt

Swag.... just put one of these on your grill in the hottest part. It's what I'm using. I keep some hickory chips in it because it also really adds to the flavor of your grilled burgers and steaks. :thumbsup:

You can find these all day long on amazon.....
    [​IMG]

10. SWAGA

That's the thing, I don't like that real thick smokey flavor.
    I grill on charcoal, never gas but I just do not like a strong overwhelming smoky flavor.....

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Sorry guys I stuff mine with dove, or quail. Very yummy. We call them torpedoes, flyboy will prefer that reference.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Those grill-top smokers don't add too much, just a hint of smoke. The heat keeps everything moving lots faster than in a normal smoker.

You can smoke heavier if you want by turning off the burners and letting things rest with the smoker still smoldering.

But using charcoal, you can just throw some real wood in for the same flavors. Though in FLA, you'd have to buy the chunks for grilling, I suppose? We do in Utah too...juniper, pine and cottonwood suck as flavors.:(

13. Always grill on charcoal. No lighter fluid either. Second thing I like is throwing maple or fruit tree chips in with the charcoal

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Not that you are wrong...but I worked in a few steak houses, and when grilling a steak or chops, gas is how you do it in a restaurant. The gas fire is under plates of metal that the drippings hit, they then smoke up, and you get the flavor most associate with a good steak. Same as a gas grill.

Now admittedly, for more BBQ or smoked flavor, or for long slow cooking, you need wood or charcoal to get real smoke. Cooking a whole brisket or loin on a gas grill is ok, but on a real wood or charcoal grill, it's better.

But there is a place for both.;)

Oh...in my AO, everyone does those Jalapeño poppers in a Dutch oven.:)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

ABT's can be filled with a lot of different things, I even have used smoked catfish. Another one that is good is a smoke baked potato, cut it in half, scoop out the center and put it in a bowl. Add beaten egg to the bowl, onion, crumbled bacon, cheese... whatever sounds good and mix. The egg is a binder so use just enough to make everything come together. Refill the skins then wrap with bacon and put them back on the smoker and cook until bacon is crisp. Works on a grill too, just find a cooler spot so the bacon doesn't burn.

16. SWAGA

For sure, I start my grill with dead palm leaves from my yard.......lol

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1411354934.772782.jpg

17. Hermitt

Those potatoes sounds soooo goooood! :cool:

18. Nice, I always use news paper. I used to hate getting a charcoal going, until i got a chimney. Changed my Grills life.

Maybe, im not manly enough. But Steak just isn't my thing.

IT's expensive to get a good one, then i usually screw up the cooking.

I like Burgers, and my favorite is Chicken. BBQ chicken, Roasted Chicken, Beer can chicken. Its only 8:00AM and this is making me hungry.

19. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

How to cook a steak. Get your coals nice and hot, place the grill about 2 inches above the coals then throw your steak on cook for about 4 minutes flip it cook for another 4 minutes it's done these directions are for an inch to an inch in a quarter steak

20. SWAGA

My wife would stab you if you'd try to serve her that one....2 min a side on a scorching hot grill.
    Coals close to the rack, and being able to hold you hand above it for a 2 count max.