Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have several automatic knives by Boker Plus, which is the Chinesium version of Boker, in between the sooper Chinesium Boker Magnum line, and the very nice German Boker stuff.

I've gotten them through Blade HQ (https://www.bladehq.com/) in the past, based in Utah, good prices, good service. If you don't know, these knives are imported as non-auto's, and "converted" here, which simply means...the spring is installed where it belongs. So you get an Aus10 bladed push button switchblade for about $40. They make a D2 bladed version for about $20-30 more.

But I recently got a "Strike" model from SMKW, and I am less than impressed. The spring is weak. The blade has no pressure against the stop, so when you open it, it bounces back and doesn't lock open, unless you also flip it open after releasing the button. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I emailed SMKW three days ago...no reply. Frustrating, I like SMKW, I have gotten slip joint German Bokers from them at a GREAT price, as well as other bits and bobs over the years.

But I also ordered replacement springs from Blade Ops (https://bladeops.com/) in the SLC area, and ordered another Strike (for $5 less, with a REALLY nifty Boker branded pouch) from Blade HQ, and got both orders in two days. The new Strike is great. Installed the new spring, and things are great with the original knife. Seems the springs from SMKW are sub-optimal.

Here's a pic of the knives and the springs. They're the same size knives, just different blades with the pic taken at an angle, so perspective makes the tanto looks smaller.
You can see how the darker spring (the original SMKW version) is smaller, has less twists, and isn't "clocked" the same, the ends of the spring are maybe 15 degrees off, while the BladeOps spring has about 30 degrees between the ends.
Door Wood Window Rectangle Drawer
Font Thigh Wood Knee Human leg

So...is it a fluke, or does SMKW simply not have a clue about the springs? Will SMKW answer the email? Never had to use CS there before.

More to follow, I hope.

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SO...SMKW finally answered, said they had no knives to exchange, but they offered a refund and RMA, I told them no, thanks, but I already had fixed the thing and in future would be ordering from other folks, getting more for less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts