Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the practical range on a smoothbore shotgun with rifled slugs and a bead sight? My (google) findings seem to indicate 25-50 yards.

I have a NEF Pardner Pump with an 18.5 inch barrel that I may take deer hunting this year and while I frankly don't expect to take a shot, I would like to know the practical limitations of this less-than-optimal setup. I am intending to try this out with at the range tomorrow and will certainly update with my results.

I know that I can get a rifled barrel for this gun, but now is not the best time for me to spend $100+ to do that, and I'm not yet certain if I'll be replacing this gun with something more refined.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
I bought a $90 single shot 12g with a 26" barrel that I'd use for something like that. With an 18.5" barrel, I would think you would probably start getting marginal quality results at about 75-85 yards, but I could be wrong. That's just my gut response based on my experience with 12g.

·
Registered
799 Posts
my 870 marine magnum (18.9" bbl) shoots about 6" at 50 yards, 10" at 75 yards and 16-20" at 100 yards with federal premium 3" sabot slugs.

SW
Am I understanding you right that your getting that kind of performace from sabots from a smooth bore??

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No doubt Mason, if I like hunting deer I'll be adding a slug gun to my collection. I actually had a Mossberg 500 slug gun that I never fired and sold because I couldn't find a smooth 18.5 barrel to swap on and off it. And this is a 12 gauge, I guess I left that out of my original post.

SW, that's pretty much what I was expecting... rifled slugs in a smooth bore should be more accurate though, shouldn't they?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to have a Rem. 1100 20ga. I shot breenekes out of it for years with great results. I could shot out to 50-60 yards
with np. I know have a H&R Ultra Slugger in 12 ga. I love this thang :D. I shoot Hornady SST slugs out of it. I sighted it in at 50 yards
and its dead on all the way out to 100 yards that i now of. I killed one at about 5 yrds,then another at about 70 yrds. They both droped in
their tracks :D. That REM. that i had was allso a full choke bl. Didnt have screw in chokes when it was made

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
i'd say the range is close to that of a 995. you can get good out to 100 yards or so.

at 60 yards i can put about palm size groups with my 12 guage with regular ol' rifled slugs in a smooth bore.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Is this the "protector" model without the screw in choke tubes? If it does have the choke tubes, you can get a rifled tube for slug use, lot cheaper than a bbl. If you're stuck with the open or cylinder bore experiment with different brands of slugs. I haven't looked into it lately, but back in the day Remington slugs were undersized and did poorly so I would stay away from them.

You should also have a drilled and tapped receiver, add a scope base and a cheap optic for better accuracy. With the current bead only I would limit shots to about 30 yards or less, unless you have developed proficiency with that particular gun at longer ranges.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this the "protector" model without the screw in choke tubes? If it does have the choke tubes, you can get a rifled tube for slug use, lot cheaper than a bbl. If you're stuck with the open or cylinder bore experiment with different brands of slugs. I haven't looked into it lately, but back in the day Remington slugs were undersized and did poorly so I would stay away from them.
That is correct, no chokes on this gun. Like I said, if deer hunting is my thing I'll be adding either a dedicated slug gun which I might scope, or a rifled barrel to this thing, which would have rifle sights on it.

I am definitely not going to take any long shots - I'm a n00b and I know it.

Thanks to everybody for the helpful responses!

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
my 870 marine magnum (18.9" bbl) shoots about 6" at 50 yards, 10" at 75 yards and 16-20" at 100 yards with federal premium 3" sabot slugs.

SW
Am I understanding you right that your getting that kind of performace from sabots from a smooth bore??
yep. i dont shoot them often as the shells cost like 2.50+ each but thats what i got when i shot for groups some years ago.

SW

·
Premium Member
648 Posts

SW
yep. i dont shoot them often as the shells cost like 2.50+ each but thats what i got when i shot for groups some years ago.

SW
I don't understand why you would shoot a sabot out of a smoothbore? You could have got better accuracy with a rifled slug or foster style slug.

Anyways....I would keep it in the 50yard range due to the sights on the Pardner pump. I'd be a little hesitant to go any farther with just a bead up front. Try the brenekes KO's, I used those in my smoothbore 870 with good results.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts

SW

SW
I don't understand why you would shoot a sabot out of a smoothbore? You could have got better accuracy with a rifled slug or foster style slug.

Anyways....I would keep it in the 50yard range due to the sights on the Pardner pump. I'd be a little hesitant to go any farther with just a bead up front. Try the brenekes KO's, I used those in my smoothbore 870 with good results.
i get better accuracy with sabots regardless of what kind of barrel they are exiting. sabots are inherently more accurate that rifled or foster slugs. neither will spin gyroscopically from a smoothbore, but teh sabot has more intertial resistance due to its high speed compared to the foster slugs.

SW

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went out with some Winchester Super-X rifled slugs and it looks like I should be good to hit the vitals of a deer from up to 50 yards... they have a 100 range but we didn't visit that one. I may try 100 just for fun, but I definitely doubt it would be useful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts