Smoothing JHP.45 Action

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by jd45, May 1, 2014.

1. jd45

jd45 Member

Before I gave my new pistol a test at the range this Sunday, I decided to do a little work on it. The rectangular block that houses the chamber was the first thing I dealt with. Starting with #80 wet/dry emery, & going up thru 150; 220; 320;400;600; & 1500, I did all 3 sides of it to a mirror finish. Next I used the same process on both inner sides of the slide, front to back, but just at the bottom half-inch, where it rubs against the grip frame. The gun cycles a lot smoother now, hopefully It'll reduce chances of a failure to feed happening. jd45

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hopefully, you didn't make a perfectly functioning gun into a jam-o-matic.

Why, oh why do people do stuff to a gun before even seeing if it works or not?:rolleyes:

3. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Figure maybe give her bout 250 round or so to break in then see how she dose.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

4. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Price of ammo makes it a bugger but still needs to break in.

5. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

exactly what i was thinking. i mean what gave him the idea to fix a problem that he has no clue if it even existed in the 1st place.

6. jd45

jd45 Member

It was not exactly a problem. It was a method of mating the contact points together that got the gun to the same place as running the ammo thru the gun, just got there sooner. jd45

7. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I hear ya jd45 but some rounds will start the wearing in process and show you exactly what needs polished. If you check out my you tube channel I did a video on smithing out a cobra ca380. Ran 400 rounds thru it first. Now it digests any ammo I feed it. Sold it yesterday to a friend. Btw you don't have to go all the way down to 1500 grit. It won't hurt but it won't make it perform any better, just looks cooler. Hope she shoots well for ya!

8. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Kevin6154 on you tube

9. jd45

jd45 Member

Thanx Kevin......I will search Youtube for your vids. jd45

10. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Also I did a brief vid on adjusting the mag feed lips on my jcp. Not the same mag as jhp but close. Just remember less is more and try to be as precise as you can. Most feed issues on these firearms seem to come from the mags.

11. jd45

jd45 Member

Kevin, I made a slight adjustment to the feed lips on my mag before I went to the range Sunday, with two different bullet weight hand loads.....155s & 200s, (LSWCs). All rounds fed, fired, & ejected like they were supposed to & the gun shot well. BTW, I didn't use the government model mag spring in my mag. I like this pistol! Thanx for the vid! jd45

12. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

No prob! My jcp was nose diving every few rounds. Feed ramp looks as if it was polished at the factory so I figured I'd measure the feed lips first. She still dose it once in a while. If you load 8 rounds instead of 10 it doesn't. Prolly still breakin in. The jh45 is awesome though. Didn't need to tinker at all! I also left the mag fully loaded (on my 40) for 2 weeks. Some say it helps break in the spring.