Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don`t know if this is the right place for this if it`s not please remove it to any arm forces members i was talking to some body and they were talking about snipers and i remember some thing about a. US Marine sniper in Nam and can not remember his name and how many he shot i do remember myth buster had some thing about him but i don`t any thing about it can any body help me out. i am to young to remember much about that war. all i know is from my dad and all he knows is from TV and newspapers.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Carlos "Whitefeather" Hathcock. 93 confirmed kills and a $30,000 reward on his head. he is the documented shooter that shot the enemy sniper through the scope killing him.

One of Hathcock's most famous accomplishments was shooting an enemy sniper through his scope, hitting him in the eye and killing him. Hathcock and John Roland Burke, his spotter, were stalking the enemy sniper in the jungle near Hill 55, the firebase Hathcock was operating from. The sniper had already killed several Marines and was believed to have been sent specifically to kill Hathcock. When Hathcock saw a flash of light (light reflecting off the enemy sniper's scope) in the bushes, he fired at it, shooting through the scope and killing the sniper. Surveying the situation, Hathcock concluded that the only feasible way he could have put the bullet straight down the enemy's scope and through his eye would have been if both snipers were zeroing in on each other at the same time and Hathcock fired first, which gave him only a few seconds to act. Given the flight time of rounds at long ranges, both snipers could easily have killed one another. The enemy rifle was recovered and the incident is documented by a photograph.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Carlos "Whitefeather" Hathcock. 93 confirmed kills and a $30,000 reward on his head. he is the documented shooter that shot the enemy sniper through the scope killing him.

One of Hathcock's most famous accomplishments was shooting an enemy sniper through his scope, hitting him in the eye and killing him. Hathcock and John Roland Burke, his spotter, were stalking the enemy sniper in the jungle near Hill 55, the firebase Hathcock was operating from. The sniper had already killed several Marines and was believed to have been sent specifically to kill Hathcock. When Hathcock saw a flash of light (light reflecting off the enemy sniper's scope) in the bushes, he fired at it, shooting through the scope and killing the sniper. Surveying the situation, Hathcock concluded that the only feasible way he could have put the bullet straight down the enemy's scope and through his eye would have been if both snipers were zeroing in on each other at the same time and Hathcock fired first, which gave him only a few seconds to act. Given the flight time of rounds at long ranges, both snipers could easily have killed one another. The enemy rifle was recovered and the incident is documented by a photograph.
You can read about him here: http://military.discovery.com/technology/weapons/snipers/snipers-01.html

Here is another more indepth article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
TB's character does it in Sniper but it wouldn't work in reality as it did in the movie.

Mythbusters proved such inadvertantly. The reason Gunny Hathcock was able to do it was the old fashioned Soviet scope the VC sniper was using didn't alter the trajectory of the bullet enough and it went clean through the scope's lenses and the sniper's head. When the Mythbusters tried to duplicate this with a modern scope (even a cheap one at that) they continuously had problems. They were then called on it by legions of pissed off Marine fans and redid the test with a correct scope and whalla, it worked as Gunny H said it did.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And here you go.

Check out the comments. :D

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
there was also a scene in saving private ryan where the sniper shoots a german through his scope with a springfield 03A4 sniper rifle. this happened several times during WWII.

the reward was placed on his head by the VC for killing many of thier top officials. the reward at that time was five years pay for VC foot soldier or two years pay for an officer.

SW

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
there is a book about Carlos hathcock, "Sniper". the North Vietnamese govt. put out the reward for killing the american sniper. there is another part of the book which details how he held a very large number of V.C. from advancing with his sniper skills because he could completely de-moralize the enemy because of his long range capabilities. He was severely injured in Viet Nam and was medically discharged shortly before he could have retired.

You will love this book.

I don't think the tom berenger movie is based on his story, I believe that movie takes place in south america.

Another literary sniper you might like is Bob Lee Swagger, by author stephen hunter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lee_Swagger

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
I have the audio version of Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson that chronicles Carlos Hathcock's service. It was excellent. I learned the term SWAG from it.... (Scientific Wild Ass Guess). I highly recommend the book in either audio version (I got my at Audible.com) or in paper form. Really good read.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I have the audio version of Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson that chronicles Carlos Hathcock's service. It was excellent. I learned the term SWAG from it.... (Scientific Wild Ass Guess). I highly recommend the book in either audio version (I got my at Audible.com) or in paper form. Really good read.
i thought swag meant, stuff we all get....

maybe thats a different swag

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Carlos Hathcock himself,

·
Registered
851 Posts
awesome interview

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Thanks,

not many snipers give interviews!

·
Badges? Wha Stinkn Badges
113 Posts
Carlos Hathcock himself,

That's a sweet youtube link... Great interview too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts