Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you SNS fans, what SNS firearms will you stay away from? I have seen previous comments about Sedco's and Clerk 1st, but are there any other ones that you will actively run away from no matter how good of a deal?

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
For all you SNS fans, what SNS firearms will you stay away from? I have seen previous comments about Sedco's and Clerk 1st, but are there any other ones that you will actively run away from no matter how good of a deal?
Why? Some people collect SNS. Few people who do so are buying them because they're worried about ones they'd "run" from.

This is a dumb question. It's like asking someone who collects Salt & Pepper shakers which ones they'd run away from. None. They don't buy the vintage 1982 cracked plastic Micky & Minnie shakers to put on their table, they buy them to collect, because the history is interesting, and because it's fun. Like Pokemon, ya gotta catch 'em all.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why? Some people collect SNS. Few people who do so are buying them because they're worried about ones they'd "run" from.

This is a dumb question. It's like asking someone who collects Salt & Pepper shakers which ones they'd run away from. None. They don't buy the vintage 1982 cracked plastic Micky & Minnie shakers to put on their table, they buy them to collect, because the history is interesting, and because it's fun. Like Pokemon, ya gotta catch 'em all.

Thank you for that thoughtful contribution.

With that said, I collect SNS and enjoy shooting them. But on the older board (and maybe a bit here), I recall there are some SNS that one has to be a real glutton for punishment to work on and shoot. I have read that Sedco's are a real pain in the butt. Clerke 1st's I have not read much about but I recall someone here saying that they were not very good (a pretty serious charge coming from an SNS fan). Lorcins seem to be hit or miss. I have not seen much in regards to RG's (have a frame but no parts yet to rebuild).

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
At the right price, “collectors” NEVER run from anything. And any collector worth his salt HAS to have examples of the worst of the breed. A collection isn’t complete without a copy of the best counterfeit, the worst example, the most ludicrous version, one that CAN be shot without losing value, etc.

But you don’t shoot them if they don’t work, or brag about the fakes and losing designs in the same way.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Don't forget begging for accolades after making your own forgeries because you can't find the real Mccoy...

·
Registered
102 Posts
You really don't see a lot of SNS forgeries around. With prices stabilizing, and even falling a bit, there isn't some magic mega-valuable SNS out there screaming to be faked. I guess maybe the factory "engraved" Ravens and/or Jennings pistols might fall into that category, but word on the street is that they were cast with the "engraving" in them and the Raven versions have unique marking on the slide.
That said, most guns I own have not been fired since I bought them and I have pretty much no intention of firing them. There is no incentive to run from any of them, if my interests are primarily mechanical variation and not something like accuracy. If you plan on firing them in any meaningful way, then pretty much anything (aside from Hi-Point) above .32 ACP should be treated as suspect until thoroughly inspected.

·
Registered
everything but shotguns
12 Posts
I collect 25 autos but rarely shoot them. What else can you collect cheap in pistols?
I think 1 box of 25's last people a generation sitting in the nightstand/panty draw.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I collect 25 autos but rarely shoot them. What else can you collect cheap in pistols?
I think 1 box of 25's last people a generation sitting in the nightstand/panty draw.
25's are a favorite, although the Davis P32 and Bryco M38 (32 ACP) are growing on me. I like to collect but I also like to shoot them :) One Raven has just a little over 900 rounds. Ravens are such awesome little guns! The aforementioned Bryco M38 has 450 rounds. Still tinkering with the P32 (had to replace a broke firing pin).

·
Registered
everything but shotguns
12 Posts
25's are a favorite, although the Davis P32 and Bryco M38 (32 ACP) are growing on me. I like to collect but I also like to shoot them :) One Raven has just a little over 900 rounds. Ravens are such awesome little guns! The aforementioned Bryco M38 has 450 rounds. Still tinkering with the P32 (had to replace a broke firing pin).
I try to stick to steel frames like galesi, sterling, just won a titan & another galesi. Browning's are more than I'm willing to spend at this time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I try to stick to steel frames like galesi, sterling, just won a titan & another galesi. Browning's are more than I'm willing to spend at this time.

I want a Baby Browning badly, but they are too expensive right now. I would like to get a Galesi, Sterling and a PAF Junior at some point. Thought to be honest, most prices are still too high. I am watching a Jennings 25 on GB that the current bid is $171, with almost a week to go!!!!!

I did get a pretty good deal on a fixer upper KA-MkIII.

·
Registered
everything but shotguns
12 Posts
I want a Baby Browning badly, but they are too expensive right now. I would like to get a Galesi, Sterling and a PAF Junior at some point. Thought to be honest, most prices are still too high. I am watching a Jennings 25 on GB that the current bid is $171, with almost a week to go!!!!!

I did get a pretty good deal on a fixer upper KA-MkIII.
Everything else is high also. I scored a beater blue galesi no mag for 77 bucks & the Titan for 67 off GB last week. You have to spend a lot of time looking. I'll glass bead & powder coat them.That Brownells alumahyde is too fickle & thick & splattery. I'm sure someone will say I didnt use it properly & how wonderfull it is. Thats what got me to try it in the first place.
I'd like to have that guy sand it off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everything else is high also. I scored a beater blue galesi no mag for 77 bucks & the Titan for 67 off GB last week. You have to spend a lot of time looking. I'll glass bead & powder coat them.That Brownells alumahyde is too fickle & thick & splattery. I'm sure someone will say I didnt use it properly & how wonderfull it is. Thats what got me to try it in the first place.
I'd like to have that guy sand it off.

LOL! I spend WAY too much looking for deals! LOL!

If one looks around enough and is willing to tinker, good deals can be had (will see how good of a deal I got on the KA-MKIII?).

I haven't tried to coat anything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shoot my shooter Raven quite a bit, so .25 doesn't last very long. I used to shoot .380 and 9 Para everytime I went shooting, for practice with my EDC options, but i dont reload those calibers and I can't afford to replenish what I shoot. So .25 gets shot when I shoot handgun because I can set aside a couple of hours to reload some ammo every once in a while.

I DID shoot my Davis P380 last week, I though I had found some milder shooting 380, but the ongoing issue of the steel bolt separating from the slide just keeps getting worse... so that got cleaned and put away as an example for the collection.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I shoot my shooter Raven quite a bit, so .25 doesn't last very long. I used to shoot .380 and 9 Para everytime I went shooting, for practice with my EDC options, but i dont reload those calibers and I can't afford to replenish what I shoot. So .25 gets shot when I shoot handgun because I can set aside a couple of hours to reload some ammo every once in a while.

I DID shoot my Davis P380 last week, I though I had found some milder shooting 380, but the ongoing issue of the steel bolt separating from the slide just keeps getting worse... so that got cleaned and put away as an example for the collection.
Reloading 25 must take lots of patience. LOL!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Reloading .25 takes a ton of time, but it's worth it to keep my finger on a trigger. It's a fun little caliber... I keep hearing it's dying out, but pre-COVID all of my local stores carried it in good quantities, at reasonable prices ($12.00-$15.99), and sold a lot of it. It might be dying for defensive purposes, even though it's often better out of small autoloaders and .22LR, but it still seems to have a following. The issue now is finding brass, I only recover 50%-75% of my autoloader brass from the grassy ranges I shoot at... eventually I'm going to run out if I don't get a resupply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts