So here's what I'm up to

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Aug 21, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

PA annual vehicle inspection is up at the end of September. You basically can't have any rust. Surface is ok, but no holes.

I have an appointment for the inspection for next Saturday. So I started on the rust repair tonight. I have never done this before, but I have done my research.

First set of pics are how it was before I did anything to it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some clean up, getting rid of as much of the bad stuff I could. Some steel wool, a wire brush and a wire wheel in my drill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put a little rust inhibitor on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm covering the holes with some heavy duty window screen I have. Here's the first one, with no sanding.

[​IMG]

Hope to finish the whole tomorrow, including sanding. Not sure if I'll get any priming and painting done.

So far it's only cost $24 including the sandpaper. Primer and paint should be less than $20 more

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Looks good.
    Could have used some of that expanding foam to fill the holes.
    Cut with a knife, sand and then window screen and some bondo.
    Another trick, cut soda cans to shape the fill the hole then bondo.
    What your fingers it's sharp.
    Used to have a buddy that did frame 'repairs' that way.

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Thanks Swaga

Wish I would have thought about the soda can thing.....

I was wondering where I could get metal...

I did think about the expanding foam, but trying to save $. I have more time than money LOL

I did cut one finger already...have to keep an eye on it, don't think I'm up to date on my tetanus shot.

I did get that sanded too, looks decent. Going to take my time tomorrow. Patched my share of drywall in my day, started getting the hang of spreading the compound, and the whole less is more thing. I also found that a rubber glove works pretty good instead of the plastic spreader

4. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    how about telling 'em to go to hell....

5. Tell Pennsylvania to kiss your ass,TallBump.
    But your body work will work.
    Tell Pennsylvania to kiss your ass!

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Sounds like a law put in place by the auto repair shops :rolleyes:

7. Annual Anal Inspection..

I can't believe you Pennsylvanians are so gullible.Time to grow some balls and put a stop to this crap. Our Liberty Bell is in your State

Not you personally TallBump.Just those MORONS who saddled you with this bull****.Inspections

8. SWAGA

I would paint those lower two inches below the door black with anti rustoleum.
    From wheel well to wheel well.
    It will look better and actually work.

9. The Feds tried in vain to do tail pipe tests here in Michigan.We told them to **** off!

10. Vote and fight.Fight and vote.Stay active!
    There's a government IDIOT around every corner waiting and willing to control you.You live in the land of Liberty and Freedom, TallBump.Rusty cars and all!

11. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Yearly inspections? Hell... kommiefornia doesn't even require that! (other than the smog inspections) Here in Valley County Idaho, No smog inspections and no vehicle inspections. Heck... our gas pumps don't even have those stupid vapor recovery bullsh!t on the hoses! LOL :cool:

12. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Spray-on bedliner works really good too. The texture hides a lot of imperfections and it's very chip-proof.

13. SWAGA

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    I've known guy to do that, even on a new truck!
    Good Luck, TB... you will do great, and pass. I just
    think it's another Govt. over-reach...

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a MN vehicle. Good job Tall.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    $20 here, $25 there... pretty soon, you're talking some REAL MONEY!!!

I hear a $20 bill in the inspector's hand works a lot better ;)

That is why our annual safety inspections in Indiana went away!
    IT WAS A JOKE!

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I hate you too. :p

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

No inspections here either :p

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Minnesota tried inspections in the Twin Cities metro dump corridor. They were finding that the bulk of the cars passed and it was basically another tax and people were getting a wee bit angry about it because you had to waste a day off work most of the time, wait in line, then have some teenager stick a sensor in your tailpipe as he checked all your lights. It was a joke.

And yes, looks like a MN truck, mine is rusting in the exact same spots. I might spray foam it and do the truck bed liner things to cover them. Will get me another year or so before the rust gets worse this winter. If MN tried to pass a law about no rust holes people would swarm the capitol armed to remove the scum! Road salt here eats cars and mine came from the Twin Cities where they use the bulk of it. I do have to replace a cab mount that rotted off one of these days...

20. abyssinmeoff

abyssinmeoff Member

What in the hell does body rust have to do with the safe-operation of a vehicle? If they want to check the brakes, throttle, or fuel tank I get it. For f***'s sake, this isn't a gated-state.