Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

so how are the primer powder prices

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  welderman 
#1 ·
howdy , i have not reloaded in a couple of years,
family responsibilities, so how are the primer powder prices and whos got them in stock ?
please post, rocky

#2 ·
NOBODY has had primers in stock.They are unobtainium. Someone posted here a couple of weeks ago that an online dealer had small pistol in lots of 6000 for almost $700. And the went in very short order. In my AO (Central PA), powder is spotty. I don't really need any, but I find some on shelves in the smaller stores. Prices are higher, but not unreasonable.

#6 ·
I am able to pick them up at about 7 cents a piece at a couple of local stores. Normally Remington, and they are selling them by the 100, limit 200. You get what they have, ie: small rifle, large pistol, etc. and they are not always in stock. You get what they have when they have them.

I did find some CCI 41 primers last week. They were 10 cents a piece. $9.99 per hundred. Yes, I bought my 200.

Ant you didn’t ask, but powders are the same, you get what you can when you can. I am seeing more Accurate powders than any others. As a result I just loaded 100 45 Colt using Remington 2 1/2 primers and Accurate #5 powder. A combo I have never done. We will see how they do.

And welcome to the forum.

#10 ·
Got a great deal on some from @Bull
He had a stash and gave me a good guy price. It was a YUGE stash. He's a great pal [emoji178]
Is bull aware of your feelings 🤔

#15 ·
I did find 209 primers a few weeks ago. 2x what I paid pre-pandemic.

To reduce waste, I have resorted to having all my brass fully prepped and I hand prime all my cases.

Some folks are seeing large pistol primers show up at a few outlets.

Online auctions are still going for silly prices. But, it may be all you see for another year.

Lots of folks trying to reload primers. I am not that desperate (yet).

#18 ·
I'd be suspect of a pierced primer.
I've looked at some info on this, apparently it's something that can be accomplished at home, but I would want to be able to create a new primer cup instead of reusing the old ones.

#16 ·
I heard a Texas primer plant will start producing more primers in about 18 months from now. Hopefully this will give us more supply and stop at least some of the bad shortages.

#19 ·
I've been finding various powders for around $35 to around $50 per pound. But, lately not much in primers. The last I found was for lg pistol. They were $150 a thousand. Also had some sm rifle for $100 a thousand.

• Wow
Reactions: undeRGRound
#20 ·
Just bought 500 Remington SP for $9/100. Large-ish LGS, they have limits on things to help spread the love, and try to offer decent prices. Another LGS two weeks back was asking $125/1000 on small rifle. They had three powders, $35-$40 a pound, but two were big boy powders for 50 BMG and 338 Lapua type loads, one was Hunter by Ramshot. They also had more bullets than I’ve seen there for a few years.

#21 ·
I've seen primers from time to time, few and far between, and as soon as they're posted they're gone. You have to be fast. The last time I found any I bought a brick from Powder Valley for a shipped total of $100. Powder is a little easier to find and when I have found it prices are no change to a little higher. I haven't looked recently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.