So I just bought a Saiga .223 - Now with range report

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    But I am not going to tell you guys that since I STILL have no pics of any of my recent firearms purchases and I know I am going to get another Gunny :)

Was thinking about getting one in 7.62 until I found out the 7.62's were illegal in CT Saturday (some of you may have seen my post on that). My mind is kind of one tracked in that I had decided to buy a Saiga so I had to get it in a different caliber. :twisted: And yes, it is a poodle puncher, but it's still pretty damn sweet :lol:

Gonna do my best to borrow a digital camera from work/somebody this week & if that fails I'll bring em all up to my girlfriend's this weekend & take some (if she "found" her camera that is).

Range report at bottom.

2. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

Re: So I just bought a Saiga .223

Well I don’t want to disappoint you! :wink:
    [​IMG]

By the way you’ll have to give us a range report too. I’m thinking of getting a 20†.223 for Coyotes.

3. neothespian

neothespian Member

Hey, nothin' wrong with the .223! It's a good high-velocity round and has shown it's usefulness. I think for your application a .223 will do everything you need and then some.

AND, it's got to be cheaper than firing my M44.

4. pills

pills Guest

How much are they runnin?

5. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I grabbed it for $299. $349 OTD with 100 Rounds of Wolf.
    Classic arms for $259, but after shipping/FFL I figured it'd be about the same.

6. goin for the conversion?

7. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Thinking about it. I haven't really decided. Not really sure I trust myself not to screw it up :)
    Plus. I'd hate to convert, then kick myself if they suddenly decide to ban pistol grips on rifles, or modified rifles etc.
    If I do modify it - I am leaning towards something I can reverse if the need arises.
    At the very least I will swap out some parts for USA made parts so I can use hi-cap mags.

8. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

Congrats man!!!! I just bought the .223 a few months ago myself :) I love this rifle. Surplus ammo for it is cheap too. I used mine for hunting, and every so often for target shooting. It's a very well built and reliable rifle. Plus it's Russian made by Izhmash :) Hope you enjoy your new rifle.

I too have to start posting some pics. Haven't quite yet figured it out. I have a good digital, but still have to learn to post pics on the forum.

Squeak

9. azhipoint

azhipoint Member

Great guns I have the x39
    What did your paper work say about 100m grouping size
    It should be located in the inspection booklet.

10. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I saw it.. but forgot. I'll check when I get home.

11. azhipoint

azhipoint Member

Thanks

I am ready to buy a .308 to go with my x39,
    And I am trying to get a feel for the average spread for the guns
    I have 4 to compare as of now.
    so far the average looks pretty good (98mm = 3.85 in )

87mm .223 3.42in
    91mm x39 3.58in
    105mm .308 4.13in
    109mm x39 4.29in

12. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

What do you hunt with your Saiga?

13. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I use it to hunt deer, but it's capable of taking out several type of game.

Squeak

14. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Checked the spread - 109 mm. 4 bullets @100m.
    Exact same as the last one in your list. Not sure I like being at the high-end of your sampling azhipoint :)

15. azhipoint

azhipoint Member

Thanks GlennFrank
    I would not let that number get into your head :) I am sure they dont use the best ammo for testing :wink: Look at it this way 100mm is a = to a pack of Marlboro 100 smokes in size, not bad if you ask me.
    I have tried some WWB ammo from Walmart and can hit a 12x12 steel plat @ 200m 8 out of 10 time open sights using a bipod.
    Thanks again for the Infor been teetering between a FAL $$$ or a Saiga .308 and a case of ammo for the same $$.

16. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

.223 for dear? At what range did you take them?

17. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I can't remember what the range was but it was a reasonable distance. The .223 is more than capable of taking down a deer. The first deer I took down with my Saiga .223 was at a good distance, and I used the iron sights :) Did that to prove to my inlaw (who was hunting with me) that I'm a better shot than he is :) :)

Some people take into account distance and so forth, but for me when I hunt..., I'm in it for the food. I love deer meat. I see a deer within what I know is reasonable range, and all I see is a meal that has the potential to get away.

I'll probaby get shunned for this, but I'm one of those people that don't really care about the size of a rack either. I'll blow the face off a deer without even thinking. Like I said, I'm just in it for the meat. Of course if I one day walk upon what I know is a trophy buck, then I'm gonna use caution, but something simple like 6-8pt If the only shot I got is the face, well......, the face it is. All I know is I'm eating good :)

18. azhipoint

azhipoint Member

Well GlennFrank
    Have you busted this bronco yet.....
    Also got two more proofs today.

76mm .308 2.99in
    81mm x39 3.18in

19. griff30

griff30 Member

Here in the Mid Ohio Valley we don't use any caliber to hunt deer!
    We climb up in our tree stand, with a slice of buttered bread in each hand. Then pounce on the first deer we see, slapping a slice of bread on the sides of the neck and start eating! The first deer down is "Wrong Turn" camp meat. Hehe just kidding. We can't use rifles to hunt deer in Ohio, for what stupid reason I don't know. Wish we could because I sold a nice 300 Weatherby Mark 5 for college money knowing I couldn't use it hunting. I bought a Dan Weason 44Mag with interchangeable barrels to hunt deer 3 years ago and havent used it yet.

You will have no problem knocking a deer down with .223 Glennfrank, actually it can kill anything in north America with the right placement, which is what the .223 cartridge is all about: accuracy!