So, I went to see my county gun board today...

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by JoeDoe22, Dec 14, 2007.

1. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

What a waste of time!

I was in a room with what seemed like 100 people, a rep from the sheriffs office, a rep from the prosecutor, and a rep from the state police.

All they did was ask the same questions that were on the CPL application one by one. I almost fell asleep waiting on my name to be called...

There was actually one guy there with a conviction for attempted MURDER :roll:

I did leave with my CPL though 8)

2. Is it not illigal for someone with a conviction of that magnitud to get a CPL? I hope they arrested him on the spot.... but as long as he did not lie they dont have anything on him.

3. Maybe he needed it for protection from the person that he tried to kill?

4. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

Hell, its illegal to even own a firearm in Michigan when you have a felony conviction.

5. Ridge

Ridge Member

I was gonna say if hes convicted, then hes likely served his time already...

7. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

Not in Michigan.

8. A convicted felon can not own, buy or handle a firearm in ANY state. Wife beaters, idiot with a CDV conviction, can not buy a firearm in ANY state.

9. Depends on the conviction some go away after x amount of years and based on age when the crim was commited

10. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

yeah maybe if youre 13..

11. I think the only kind of convictions that time mitigates are juvenile convictions. At least that's the way it is here in AL.

12. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

In some state systems you can get whats called a suspended imposition of sentence. once you have completed your jailtime/parole/probation/community service etc the crime is expunged from your record as though it was never there. My uncle once got into a bad car wreck and they chardged him with felony reckless drivng (should have been a no fault accident) and he got a SIS. Guy owns more guns than i do.

SW

13. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

I have heard stories where an bunch of antigun nuts will do something like what happened to your uncle to prevent someone from owning guns.

14. Never heard that, but I don't doubt that they would. Kind of like the coockie enviromentalist driving steel nails into trees to prevent loggers from harvesting trees.

15. urotu

urotu Member

Congrats on your CPL.

A felon with a gun is a federal law, not state by state.

You can get a presidential pardon and earn back some of these rights, including owning a firearm, but otherwise any felony conviction excludes you from owning a firearm. It also takes away your right to vote most of the time.

There may be some misdemeanor offenses in your particular state that also disallow the possesion of firearms for different amounts of time, but a felon cannot own a firearm unless they have been presidentially pardoned.

16. Sw is right about sentencing, tho it is usually called a "deferred imposition of sentence". It is designd to allow the courts a little lee way for one time offenders of minor felonies to prove that the have learned thier lesson. Each state goes about it a little diffent.

Each state is also capable of restoring a felons rights. In ND, felons (with the exceptions of certain crimes like homicide and suck) can have thier rights restored 10 years after the end of their sentence (prison, probation, parole, ect.....) as long as they keep thier nose clean. Sounds counter intuitive to law and order, but when you consider what can be construed as a felony now days it makes sense. For example if you knowingly or negligently cause more than $1000 damage to some one elses property here in ND, you can be charged with a felony. Luckily they don't persue this for auto accedents, but they could by the way the law is written. Kinda scary, in therory, you could be walking down the sidewalk talking on your cell phone, accedently (read neglegently in court) bump into a little old lady walking the other direction, causing her to drop her just purchased $1200 dollar vase, and you could be charged with a felony, causing you to lose your gun rights. And before anybody throws a fit, this is a extream example that I don't think would happed, it just that the law is written in a way that it could happen. Just an example of how not all felonies are created equal.

Some states have no provision for restoring rights, but I would think that any "conviction" for attempted murder would result in lifetime gun right revocation no matter which state your from.